Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622+311=Too Much?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bill Simonsen

Bill Simonsen

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:45 PM

I'm sorry, I know I could prolly search for this, but it's a bad time....Does anybody know what the cost would be if I kept my 622 connected to one TV, and used the 311 in the BR? My wife is kind of technophobic, but I never imagined the trouble she'd have with this new receiver. Especially when I have to leaf through the manual to answer her query, and I'm wrong half the time.
I've spent a LOT of time in CE in various roles, and I cannot imagine the average user getting comfortable with the 622 in any reasonable length of time. I've had mine 3 days, and to say that it is 'not intuitive' is the understatement of the year.

TYIA for your trouble. (Coming from the late lamented 721- where SW versions went BACKWARDS- active product life of about 5 wks with E*- and a 311.)

-Bill

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LAM

LAM

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 March 2007 - 10:58 PM

I'm sorry, I know I could prolly search for this, but it's a bad time....Does anybody know what the cost would be if I kept my 622 connected to one TV, and used the 311 in the BR? My wife is kind of technophobic, but I never imagined the trouble she'd have with this new receiver. Especially when I have to leaf through the manual to answer her query, and I'm wrong half the time.
I've spent a LOT of time in CE in various roles, and I cannot imagine the average user getting comfortable with the 622 in any reasonable length of time. I've had mine 3 days, and to say that it is 'not intuitive' is the understatement of the year.

TYIA for your trouble. (Coming from the late lamented 721- where SW versions went BACKWARDS- active product life of about 5 wks with E*- and a 311.)

-Bill

These receivers are easy to operate and i have seen 80 year old couples using them. Give this a little more time to get used to.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,371 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:54 AM

Adding a 311 would cost you $5 per month. You would have to wire a satellite feed to the bedroom. Based on your comments you would probably want a qualified installer to do that for you (it is easy to do wrong).

The 311 would be limited to JUST the standard definition channels with no ability to record, pause or rewind.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

The most important difference is that the TV2 output to the second TV will give you SD access to all recordings and SD view of all the HD channels. The 311 will not do that and you will be paying for the extra receiver - why do that?

Pat

#5 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:25 AM

What kinds of problems are you having? Maybe it is a simple fix.

If you are seeing the same thing on both TVs all of the time, you are probably in single mode. It also will say Single mode underneath the time as you change channels. If it is set like this, you should switch to dual mode. You can switch by hitting the mode button on the front of the receiver.

That way, it will be as if you had a second box in the bedroom.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#6 OFFLINE   farleyville

farleyville

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

The 2nd TV option can get confusing for my wife as well if I keep the TV in single mode.. aspect ratios, etc.. get her a little lost, but in dual mode, she has no issues at all.

you lose a couple of functions in dual modes, such as PIP, and the ease of not worrying which tuner the recording is assigned to.. but other than those two items.. dual mode is easier for her.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Simonsen

Bill Simonsen

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

Thank you to all- as to my experience, I managed Radio Shack stores back when that meant something, I managed a CompUSA, etc. so I have a fair handle on the stuff.
I was just thinking, our BR is wired for the 311 that just came out- If I reactivated that, beloved wife would have a simple way to watch HGTV. Then, *some day* , I could take the AV out from the 622, run it through a wireless 2.4 ghz xmitter to the other set, and run that off the other video in on the BR set.

But I've applied dots of nail polish to some of the vital keys on remote 2, and taped a cheat sheet to the rear of remote, and we'll see how well the wifely brain can assimilate. (She's really very bright, but has a big blind spot when it comes to _anything_ that plugs into a wall or uses batteries)....and I love her dearly..

Thanx again...

#8 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:51 PM

As long as the BR is already wired for the 311, you should try to connect the 311 to the TV's Line 1 with RCA jacks and keep the 622 on the coax input.

If the 622 is presently the only receiver active on the account, it might not cost you the extra $5/month to activate the owned 311. If you can get a CSR to make the 311 be the primary receiver on the account (as if you hadn't deactivated it), it costs the same per month as just a 622 as an upgrade receiver (DIU). Worth investigating and there is no charge to add or drop the owned receiver.

spam firewall