Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

couple of problems ??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 01:52 AM

I watched the Spurs game from FSNSW today and when I went to try and FF, if I just clicked it it said >>4X but actually ended up jumping back a couple of seconds and showing the picture heavily pixelated instead of FFing. Then if I hold the FF button a long time (couple of seconds), it jumps to some random spot in the game.

Is this normal?

Also, why won't this stay paused for a long time? I watched the first quarter but had to go run an errand so I paused it and then when I came back (1+ hour later), it was back to live TV. When I went to play it again, it only gave me the option to "start over", not "resume". What's the trick?

Lastly, is there a way to keep the 622 from going into standby? It seems to do it in the middle of the night. I tried to turn off the standby timer in the preferences.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 02:02 AM

The 622 only has one hour buffer per TV output and when it reaches the end it has no choice but to kick in to live mode but the buffer should remain full.

As to the FF... Sometimes it will jump back a few frames because it is looking for a key frame but it should not jump to a random place. The more times you press FF the faster it will go. Once for 4x twice for 15x etc. You don't hold it down and if you do perhaps it is jumping up to 300x.

As for standby.. Well there is no way to completely keep it out of standby. You can disable the standby timeout, but it still will go into standby after the nightly update triggers. What some have done is set a Auto-tune timer about an hour after the night update and then will take it out of standby while you are sleeping. Done side is that it will jump to the same channel every night.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:35 AM

OK, I think maybe I wasn't very clear. When it went off of "pause", it wasn't on live TV. It was playing back a recording. I played about an hour of the 5 hour recording, paused it, and then an hour later it had returned to live TV and when I went back to the recording I had to start it over.

About the FF, if you just press it once, or twice (for 4x, 15x etc), then the screen just becomes blocky and pixelated, and the clock actually reverses a second or two until you hit "play" and then it reverts to some time before you hit FF. If you hold down FF then it does the same thing but when you hit play, it resumes at some place an hour or whatever down the road in the program.

I deleted the suspect program but I'm going to try a different one. Maybe I need to reboot it? The first recording I tried, the FF, pause and RW buttons didn't work on the recording and I had to reboot it to get them to come back (just play, stop were working).

#4 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:26 AM

For whatever reason, there are more problems on recodings/buffers of the sports channels than the others. I had a problem yesterday with buffereing the 2 NBC hockey games using the CI channel and my local NBC. When I tried to rewind the CI channel- it took me to the same commercial break while ff would take me to live. I finally had to dump the buffer and then it worked fine after that.

#5 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:29 AM

If you are going to Pause the playback of a recording for more than a few minutes, why not just stop it? Then when you want to continue watching it, use Resume to pickup where you left off.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#6 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:34 AM

what is the difference between "pause" and "stop" when playing back a program that's been recorded? I guess I'm accustomed to TiVo, no stop button. I've been confused what that button is for anyway. The "expected" behavior (IMHO) is "STOP" should be the same as "Live TV". I guess it's the same as "Pause" only doesn't screw up?

#7 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

In my mind, Pause implies "hold it for a minute" and I'll Play it again soon and Stop says I'm done for a while, release the resources used by the playback. Pause leaves the picture frozen on the TV screen and that's why I use Stop if its going to be a while before I resume watching. I guess you could also just turn off the TV. Maybe there is not a lot of difference, but at least I know that if you Stop it, you can later Resume it at that point.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

spam firewall