Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What to do about locals in HD?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nneptune

nneptune

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:32 PM

All of my local channels broadcast in HD...however, they only broadcast SD over DISH. I'm too far away from a tower to get OTA reception.
Should I call each local part of the networks and ask them what's up, or wait until they decide to feed DISH the HD portion of their broadcasts?
How have others handled it?
Thanks....and I LOVE my 622, flaws and all..:grin:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:39 PM

I think it is Dish that decides when it wants to pick up your local channels. It is activating HD Locals based on the market size so when they decide to activate your market area is up to them. I'm not sure there is anything you can do to influence it.

I think the only thing you can do, except wait, is to install a bigger/taller OTA antenna.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 04:48 PM

Maybe you just don't have the right antenna, maybe you are not aiming it in the right direction, etc. For the most part I think all-purpose UHF/VHF antennas are not really ideal for all situations. They are built to pick up every station in the country but you may only really have four or five stations to try and get, which could happen with a much better, more targeted antenna.

Exactly what channels (frequencies, UHF/VHF channel numbers) are you trying to get? Do you know the direction (azimuth)?

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 05:20 PM

One of the best places to go to find out how far the digital stations are from you and what type of antenna you might need is http://www.antennaweb.org
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

Check with your cable company. For $12 a month, Comcast offers locals in HD (plus a bunch of other channels) in most areas. Other than that, you just need the right antenna to get them for free.

#6 OFFLINE   nneptune

nneptune

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:35 AM

Honestly, I'm not big on watching the networks anyway.
It just would be great to receive them in HD.
It's truly not worth my $$ to go out and get a bigger antenna.
Thanks for the advice, though.
I appreciate your time.

#7 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 06:42 AM

if it's UHF channels, the "right antenna" is probably not a "bigger antenna". On the contrary, you can pick up UHF very effectively with rather small antennas. The "big" antennas are mostly big for VHF. That's why I asked if you knew the UHF/VHF channel assignments. Check antennaweb.org, look for the channels ending in "-DT" and note whether UHF or VHF and the channel assignment.

spam firewall