Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Picture Doesn't Correctly Fit Screen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmcginn825

jmcginn825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

Hi there! This is my first post, I was directed here by avsforums.com. Excited to see a DISH only related site.

If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated (if you can).

I have the Sharp 46D62U
Onkyo 674
DISH 622 VIP DVR

It seems that the left and right sides of the screen are being cut off on HD channels (you cannot see the logos that say ABC HD, ESPN HD, etc.). You can only see a portion of the logo.

I have the tv set to Stretch (and have tried dot by dot).

Am I missing something, or is it a problem passing the DISH through the 674 before it goes out to the Sharp?

I am hoping that I have a setting that is incorrect on my DISH receiver.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:12 PM

Maybe you are in zoom mode. Press the Format (*) button on the remote. It will cycle you thru the different stretch and zoom modes. The 622 remembers two settings for the Format. One is set for HD channels and one is set for SD channels so it should remember the way you want to view it when switching between channels.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   jmcginn825

jmcginn825

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:14 PM

Maybe you are in zoom mode. Press the Format (*) button on the remote. It will cycle you thru the different stretch and zoom modes. The 622 remembers two settings for the Format. One is set for HD channels and one is set for SD channels so it should remember the way you want to view it when switching between channels.

You mean zoom mode on the DISH DVR, correct (being that this is a DISH forum and all, lol)?

Just making sure.

Thank you!!

#4 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:18 PM

Yes. The star button on the remote cycles thru the modes.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#5 OFFLINE   jmcginn825

jmcginn825

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:20 PM

Yes. The star button on the remote cycles thru the modes.

Wow, thank you Chuck. I will give that a try when I get home, I have a feeling you are correct.

#6 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:26 PM

you don't need "stretch" mode for HD. It will "stretch" content off the sides of the screen. Turn it off in the TV and the DVR.

IMHO you also don't need "stretch" mode for any other channel. I never understood why people would prefer to see a distorted picture instead of seeing pillar boxes. ???

#7 OFFLINE   jmcginn825

jmcginn825

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:45 PM

you don't need "stretch" mode for HD. It will "stretch" content off the sides of the screen. Turn it off in the TV and the DVR.

IMHO you also don't need "stretch" mode for any other channel. I never understood why people would prefer to see a distorted picture instead of seeing pillar boxes. ???

The only modes that are available on my Sharp are:

Dot by Dot
Stretch
Smart Stretch
Zoom

The only reason I use stretch is because there is some noise on the top and bottom of the screen during commercials when using dot by dot (which is really what I should be using).

#8 OFFLINE   Necochino

Necochino

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:38 PM

Hi there! This is my first post, I was directed here by avsforums.com. Excited to see a DISH only related site.

If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated (if you can).

I have the Sharp 46D62U
Onkyo 674
DISH 622 VIP DVR

It seems that the left and right sides of the screen are being cut off on HD channels (you cannot see the logos that say ABC HD, ESPN HD, etc.). You can only see a portion of the logo.

I have the tv set to Stretch (and have tried dot by dot).

Am I missing something, or is it a problem passing the DISH through the 674 before it goes out to the Sharp?

I am hoping that I have a setting that is incorrect on my DISH receiver.

Thanks!

I may not be interpreting this correctly, but according to Satellitguys.com (referenced in the EKB in this site), Dish Voom Channels are 1280x1080i and the other, normal, 1920x1080i MPEG4 Channels are converted to 1440x1080i. So clearly, we do have between 500 and 700 pixels lost on the sides.

Of course, it all depends on how Voom and Dish do the "chopping": true chopping or compression of the image?

Here's the link: http://www.satellite...bfg/dish-hd.htm

Cheers,

#9 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:23 PM

Not chopped, re-sampled. The whole image is present, but may be lacking in fine detail. That is a different topic that has been denounced, decried, debated and defended in several other threads.

The problem jmcginn825 is having probably comes from his zoom setting as mentioned, or could be from the TV's over-scan setting which might be adjustable via a service menu.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#10 OFFLINE   electronic man

electronic man

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

The only modes that are available on my Sharp are:

Dot by Dot
Stretch
Smart Stretch
Zoom

The only reason I use stretch is because there is some noise on the top and bottom of the screen during commercials when using dot by dot (which is really what I should be using).

Maybe this will clarify everthing. What Chuck was talking about is on your 622's remote if you press the star button you will cycle through different aspect ratio's

Stretch
Partial Zoom
Zoom
Gray bar
Normal

If you set the aspect ratio to say normal then what will happen is if you are watching a HD channel and if the program was made in 16:9 ratio then your tv screen will fill up, but broacasters sometimes broadcast HD channels in 4:3 aspect ratio as well, and if that is the case then you will get black bars on the left and right side of your tv screen. If you don't want the black bars then press the star button on the 622's remote and pick the stretch mode and it will fill your screen. Hope this helps you out.

#11 OFFLINE   jmcginn825

jmcginn825

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

Thank you everyone, that solver my problem! :D

#12 OFFLINE   dahauss

dahauss

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:01 AM

I'm probably going to open up a can of worms but why in world would you want to see pillar boxes. Doesnt having pillar boxes static on a plasma or LCD screen create a ghost image (burned in) after a while? I use stretch. It only stretches the left and right side of the picture to fill the screen...

#13 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:05 AM

Because everyone looks fat! It really makes the picture look bad IMO. When we first got our HD setup my wife was the same way. She wanted to always use all of that 55" screen she could. After a while I got her used to seeing the pillar boxes instead of fat people and she does not complain about it any more.
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#14 OFFLINE   dahauss

dahauss

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:33 AM

Sure they look a little FAT but again doesnt having the pillar bars which are static, create a burned in image after a while??

#15 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:45 AM

if all you watch is pillarbox, and you use black pillarboxes, and you also have a plasma or CRT tv, then yes, you can get some burn-in.

if you have LCD, DLP, etc., then no burn-in.

IMHO there's nothing worse than the aspect ratio being wrong. in fact I was watching the game last night on TNTHD and it just puzzles me why on earth they would do stretch on everything. you cannot turn that off! there's no mode that will "unstretch" the TNTHD picture. grr.

#16 OFFLINE   Cold Irons

Cold Irons

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:07 AM

Amen! I never use strech - I'd rather replace a burnt-in Plasma HDTV than be forced to watch a distorted picture. (...why I almost never watch TNTHD).

But, as noted, if you use the grey-bar mode on SD channels, shouldn't be a problem.
Dish: DVR 501/722/622 - with Gold HD + OTA CM4228
"She said: You can't repeat the past."
"I said: You can't? Whattya mean you can't...of course you can."

#17 OFFLINE   electronic man

electronic man

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

Amen! I never use strech - I'd rather replace a burnt-in Plasma HDTV than be forced to watch a distorted picture. (...why I almost never watch TNTHD).

But, as noted, if you use the grey-bar mode on SD channels, shouldn't be a problem.

:nono2: No you don't want to use the grey bars because the tv uses color to make the grey bars and with the grey bars there they will never move, that most definitely will create a burn in. The pillar bars are not using anything, its just a part of your tv that shows nothing. Think of it as a DVD that is in widescreen and has the black borders on the top and bottom, the black borders are not producing any color so it will not hurt your tv. ;)

#18 OFFLINE   electronic man

electronic man

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 06:58 PM

I'm probably going to open up a can of worms but why in world would you want to see pillar boxes. Doesnt having pillar boxes static on a plasma or LCD screen create a ghost image (burned in) after a while? I use stretch. It only stretches the left and right side of the picture to fill the screen...

Make sure if you use the stretch mode you put it back on normal when you are watching a HD program that is in 16:9 or it will make the people in the picture fat. ;)

#19 OFFLINE   ls7dude

ls7dude

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:44 PM

The best way to avoid people looking short and fat is to buy a Philips. I bought the Philips for a few reasons but this was a big one. It has 6 screen adjustment modes and will fill the screen with the correct ratio. You're missing out!

#20 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

Duho...I could a had a Philips!
Dish 1000
OTA Antenna in attic