Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Audio Dropouts CBS Dallas LIL HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ClarkBar

ClarkBar

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:31 PM

On Friday, 3-9-07, a great deal of the audio on "Wheel of Fortune" on CBS Dallas LIL HD was missing. All you heard was a bloop and a bleep now and then during much of the program and most of the commercials. It also happened some on Friday on "Close to Home" on my 622. Today, 3-12, it happened to a lesser degree again on Wheel. HDTV is fed with HDMI from 622. I sent in a log of every puzzle and every commercial where the audio was just bursts of noise.

I played back the programs via HDMI, via composite audio, Toslink to my amplifier, via analog TV2 from the Modulator, and on another HDTV using Component/composite from the same 622. The audio problems were the same on all audio playbacks on two different TVs.

I had also had recorded Friday's "Wheel" on Dallas SD LIL on CBS on my DVR 510. No audio problems with playback. I also recorded "Wheel" on my OTA HDTV tuner in my PC, from a DMA other than the Dallas DMA where I get HD LIL. No audio problems with the OTA PC tuner recording. I do this redundant recording often as a check on various pieces of gear.

Of course, I reported this to dishquality@echostar.com. And I am touch with hardware and software engineers at Echostar on a variety of subjects regarding the 622. They are scratching their heads, or whatever engineers do when pondering.

I can NOT believe that the missing audio is the fault of my 622, but rather that it is the feed from CBS Dallas to Dish or some other problem in the feed to or at Dish uplink center. I mean this was about half of one whole program, not just a few seconds of bad audio which we all hear now and then.

Has anyone else had long pauses where CBS audio on Dallas HD LIL has simply been bursts of "bleep" and "bloop"? If others had the same problem, I would like to pass this on to my friends at Echostar so they don't point solely at the problem maybe being in my 622.

NBC HD Dallas LIL has had a lot of severe picture breakup of late, but that is another tune.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Tom-Tx

Tom-Tx

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:29 AM

I too experienced what you described in a recording of Close to Home last week. It was recorded off the Dallas sat channel not OTA. There were periods where there was almost no sound at all. Then periods like you described. In the beginning and toward the end there were no problems at all.

I haven't watched Wheel of Fortune in a while.

#3 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:59 AM

On Friday, 3-9-07, a great deal of the audio on "Wheel of Fortune" on CBS Dallas LIL HD was missing. All you heard was a bloop and a bleep now and then during much of the program and most of the commercials.
Has anyone else had long pauses where CBS audio on Dallas HD LIL has simply been bursts of "bleep" and "bloop"? If others had the same problem, I would like to pass this on to my friends at Echostar so they don't point solely at the problem maybe being in my 622.

NBC HD Dallas LIL has had a lot of severe picture breakup of late, but that is another tune.

Yes, I'm having the exact same problem with CBS Dallas. Your description is dead on. I've had the 622 for almost a month, and this particular audio problem on the CBS station seemed to start about a week ago. Entire segments of audio are gone, with just the occasional "bloop". I've emailed that dishquality@echostar.com twice now, and have received no response. I copied ceo@echostar.com on the last one, and that didn't help either. So I hope your interaction with them leads to something, since clearly they don't want to talk to me.

Since I got the 622, there has also been no center channel sound on the CBS station; all audio, including dialogue, is pumped equally out of front and rear L/R (making it sound like you're listening at the bottom of a well). Are you getting that same problem? It's not on all shows, but it's consistent (for example, "Survivor" always has that problem, but "Jericho" never does). All weekend sports have that problem.

NBC audio is worse, because it's no center channel and no rear channels either. Fox and ABC are mostly OK, with just the "usual" audio dropouts.

#4 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:59 AM

Yes, I'm having the exact same problem with CBS Dallas. .

Also, I'm receiving Dallas locals over the Dish, not OTA. Using optical link to an AV Receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:16 AM

I've emailed that dishquality@echostar.com twice now, and have received no response. I copied ceo@echostar.com on the last one, and that didn't help either. So I hope your interaction with them leads to something, since clearly they don't want to talk to me.

Don't feel too bad, I've also emailed them twice (copied to ceo@echostar) and they have not responded as well. Maybe they're getting so many complaints that they can no longer respond. Some of these issues are issues they said would be corrected a year ago.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#6 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:19 AM

Don't feel too bad, I've also emailed them twice (copied to ceo@echostar) and they have not responded as well. Maybe they're getting so many complaints that they can no longer respond. Some of these issues are issues they said would be corrected a year ago.

I'm hoping that once the NCAA tourney starts on Thursday, that will finally get more of Dish's Dallas customers to call in. I can't imagine people will be happy when they have no audio for long periods of the tourney.

#7 OFFLINE   ClarkBar

ClarkBar

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:30 PM

I got an e-mail today from Dish commenting on the CBS KTVT audio problems on Dallas HD LIL.

They indicated that they had heard from several other people about the audio problems at CBS KTVT HD LIL in Dallas. They have worked through similar problems in other cities and were in touch the KTVT, CBS in Dallas, who are well aware they have problems. Dallas CBS is on the "active" list with Dish.

I have been working with these guys since that first fateful day that Dallas HD LIL came on the air. I had the first 622 my dealer got in. This has lead me over time to other people in the company in senior supervisory positions.

Trust me, I have sat here for hour upon hour over the months taking notes and sending them in. The notes and the tests that I do leave little wiggle room. I have also spent untold hours doing field testing and taking notes on receiver problems.

For example, I sent them a log of "Wheel" the other night which included every puzzle name and every commercial where the audio was missing. It took over an hour to compare my 622 recording with that on the DVR 510 and the playback from the recording on my PC HDTV tuner (Okla. OTA) of that one show. And longer to compile my notes. the report was about two pages long, and some other folks at Dish were copied - who are working on other problems. So, I was very precise.

I can now watch the same shows at the same time on two side-by-side HDTVs, one tuned to Dallas HD LIL and the other to S. Okla. HD OTA. There is hardly ever any audio/video problem on CBS or FOX or NBC in S. Okla. I can't get ABC OTA. This is a valuable troubleshooting tool for audio/video problems on Dallas HD LIL.

Although you may not hear from them, my experience has been that dishquality@echostar.com reads everything sent to them and tries their best, with their limited resources, to correct audio/video problems. That is their only charter. They are in a position to monitor signals along every part of the path from the local station, to uplink center, to the signal back from the birds. They simply get overwhelmed, since we are really dealing with the switch to MPEG4, HD LIL, et al., which is fairly new. It's like playing Whack-A-Mole. It's been a long grueling affair for all of us.

Keep sending in reports. I can pretty well assure you that your vote counts. When was the last time you called your Senator to complain and he or she called you back to chat? But, you know they have a tally sheet on complaints.

#8 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:04 AM

Clark, on behalf of all of us in the Dallas area living through these problems, THANKS for all the effort you've put in!!

Just a couple of questions:
- are you getting the no-center-channel problem on CBS?
- are you getting similar audio problems on local NBC?
- given all your experience with this, what's your gut feel on how long it may take to resolve?

You may not want to hear this part, but... When I called Dish last night to demand a replacement receiver, the CSR told me that they were aware of audio problems on Dallas CBS (but not NBC), and had been aware of them since March 9th. Sounds like you've been working with them alot longer than that... I'm assuming this was just poor info available to the CSRs.

#9 OFFLINE   ClarkBar

ClarkBar

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:43 AM

Clark, on behalf of all of us in the Dallas area living through these problems, THANKS for all the effort you've put in!!

Just a couple of questions:
- are you getting the no-center-channel problem on CBS?
- are you getting similar audio problems on local NBC?
- given all your experience with this, what's your gut feel on how long it may take to resolve?

You may not want to hear this part, but... When I called Dish last night to demand a replacement receiver, the CSR told me that they were aware of audio problems on Dallas CBS (but not NBC), and had been aware of them since March 9th. Sounds like you've been working with them alot longer than that... I'm assuming this was just poor info available to the CSRs.

SteveT,

Due to a hearing problem in one ear, I no longer can make judgments about surround-sound questions, so have stopped playing Dish audio through my 5.1 surround-sound amplifier, except to test Toslink audio for a report, etc.

I don't recall similar prolonged audio problems with Dallas NBC HD. My recent comments to Dish have been about the NBC picture breakup and tearing.

Without checking my e-mail dates, March 9 seems like about the time I began commenting on audio problems on CBS Dallas. I don't get answers to every e-mail, but once in a while I will get a kind of a summary of progress on issues I have reported.

We are the 7th largest TV market in the country. Dish has been working this audio problem in several other cities and finally had time to get around to Dallas as the complaints began to rise. And the audio problem on CBS only got really bad in recent weeks, as I recall. I told Dish that I was going to start setting CBS program timers for my S. Okla. OTA station - which seldom has any audio/video problems. In other words, I had all I could take of CBS Dallas and was going to retire from sending them any more comments on CBS Dallas. Well, I might be tempted some day.

Once dishquality jumps on a problem, they can often resolve it very quickly IF the local offending station cooperates fully. Dallas ABC HD LIL had size problems, with HD showing up in 4:3 format. I, and others I'm sure, sent in comments, and I sent them JPGs of screen shots. That problem cleared up in a few days. That was quite a while back, but is an example of where I was positive that "our" input had been instrumental in getting a serious problem solved.

In my experience, intermittent audio and video breakup are seldom the fault of the 622, and I have had four. It is usually in the network/Dish feed somewhere.

#10 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:53 AM

In NY ota and Sat HD versions were screwed up the same day. They restarted the show about halfway in, and then had lots of other problems. I gave up and switched to the Sat SD version.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#11 OFFLINE   steveT

steveT

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:09 AM

Finally got an email response from Dishquality@echostar.com about the audio issues in Dallas. It basically says they're working directly with the local stations to isolate and fix the problems, that they have "dispatched engineers" to the DFW area and given the issues "top priority status". They also said that info received from Dallas area customers has helped them "narrow down our search into the possible cause" (Clark, thanks again!...)

And it includes a hopeful comment, to let them know if service has improved in the next several days. Maybe it's close to being fixed...

#12 OFFLINE   ClarkBar

ClarkBar

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

Finally got an email response from Dishquality@echostar.com about the audio issues in Dallas. It basically says they're working directly with the local stations to isolate and fix the problems, that they have "dispatched engineers" to the DFW area and given the issues "top priority status". They also said that info received from Dallas area customers has helped them "narrow down our search into the possible cause"

And it includes a hopeful comment, to let them know if service has improved in the next several days. Maybe it's close to being fixed...

Great. I will check Dallas HD LIL from time to time. Right now, all CBS timers are set for Okla. OTA. The most important thing in dealing with these folks is sending them exact logs and letting them know if you have another source (SD or OTA?) to compare, signal strength of your Dish Transponder (Dallas is 110/31 for HD and 110/20 for SD), and if you have tried different cables and inputs/outpus. And for video problems, a JPG is worth a 1000 words. The point is to make it clear that the problem is probably NOT in your setup. You may now be on their "new best friends" list.

One advantage of the mess I have now is that while Dallas LIL was showing college basketball, I was able to record JEOPARDY! and WHEEL on my PC from Okla., since they are syndicated and on different stations in Okla. In a couple of weeks, I can do all of this from my recliner in the living room. By the way, at my age, JEOPARDY! and WHEEL are the only checks I have on senility, or lack thereof.

I have been consumed with ordering parts for a new homebrew computer, so I can take this one into the living room and make it into a Media Center, connected to my WiFi net. So have not checked forum. Burning up NewEgg site.

Among other things, I hope to be able to record 2 Okla. OTA HD stations at once on my PC and a 3rd Okla. station on my 622 OTA tuner - and play them back later on either of my HDTV sets. Of course, there are few days when I need this capability. Just fun to play around.

When I am through, I will have Dallas LIL HD on the 622, SD on the 510, HD OTA live from Okla. on my Samsung STB receiver, HD OTA on 622, and be able to record NBC, CBS, FOX, CW on my PC Media Center PC. I should then qualify for a certificate as a "Dish Monitoring Station," at no pay. Also will qualify for "jibbering idiot award" trying to figure out which remote to use.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...