Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L4.01 For Thursday?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 08:16 AM

So what's the consensus now? Has Dish changed their web page? Is 4.01 on hold for now or might we get it tonight?

The update can come anytime after midnight or they might not release it until mid-morning or mid-afternoon or .... gasp !!! .... tomorrow or later. Many people are at work and can't check to see if their receivers have been updated.

I think the best thing for Dish to do is sit on it for another couple of days ! :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mchaney

mchaney

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:34 AM

I think the best thing for Dish to do is sit on it for another couple of days ! :D

:lol: :nono:

Mike

#43 OFFLINE   zwinflame

zwinflame

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

What is the most waited update on L4.01 as mine works flawlessly. Never had HDMI issues. However from time to time I do have audio losses and I have to remove the HDMI from the Vip622 and reinsert it and the audio comes back. Just shaking it does not make it work. Removing the HDMI from the plasma and reinserting it also does not fix the audio problem. Sorry for going on a different tangent but then again whats the most waited update on L4.01

. For me its the IPTV implementation, but then again the skeptics said it that it probably is not in this update.

#44 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

According to the linked thread L4.01 has already spooled. I guess if you don't have it yet you were not targeted as part of the phased release. I still have my doubts if this is correct as "NOBODY" has reported receiving L4.01 in the 622 forum.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=82390
EAGLES

#45 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

What is the most waited update on L4.01 as mine works flawlessly. Never had HDMI issues. However from time to time I do have audio losses and I have to remove the HDMI from the Vip622 and reinsert it and the audio comes back. Just shaking it does not make it work. Removing the HDMI from the plasma and reinserting it also does not fix the audio problem. Sorry for going on a different tangent but then again whats the most waited update on L4.01

. For me its the IPTV implementation, but then again the skeptics said it that it probably is not in this update.

For me it would be the side by side PIP and buffer stickinees if it makes it into this release. Also since I have experience audio issues that I would describe as excessive I hope to see some of those fixes make it into this release.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#46 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:13 AM

Various bug fixes are probably big things people want, but those really won't be "announced" unless someone gets a hold of release notes. Side-by-side PIP seems to be popular. The HD map-downs aren't a big deal to me...

Ron: What's this "buffer stickiness" you refer to ?? Is it related to the 622 doing NO buffering during a recording's playback, among other scenarios ??

#47 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

OOOPes.. I meant sticky pause... Sticky pause was mentioned along with PIP side by side. I took it to mean that that when you are toggling between buffers you can press pause and it will hold while you jump to the other buffer. Of course I can be totally wrong here and it might be something totally different, but if it is what it sounded like it is something that I can see as having a lot of value.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#48 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

When my "wake-up" auto timer didn't fire this morning, I thought that it was because I had gotten the new update. This has screwed my auto tune timers in the past. But, when I pressed select, all I had was the warning screen offering the sole option of deleting everything on my hard drive. Naturally, since I read DBStalk often, I knew that this was not going to happen in reality, so I did the only option available and hit select. It rebooted with the 3.66 firmware, no recorded shows lost that I can see.

Glad to see that things have not changed, DISH. :nono2:

What must the usual 622 owner think when they are presented with that warning screen and just one option of deleteing everything???? :eek2:

Yep this is what I got as well. Had the warning message this morning. It makes me think that it might have tried to spool, screwed something up and then defaulted back to 3.66. Who knows
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#49 OFFLINE   elbodude

elbodude

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:21 AM

OOOPes.. I meant sticky pause... Sticky pause was mentioned along with PIP side by side. I took it to mean that that when you are toggling between buffers you can press pause and it will hold while you jump to the other buffer. Of course I can be totally wrong here and it might be something totally different, but if it is what it sounded like it is something that I can see as having a lot of value.

I think you nailed it. Having each tuner hold the pause as you switch between tuners is HUGE for me. Also, having the buffer still recording while watching a previously recorded show is also a feature I would like.

#50 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

What is the most waited update on L4.01 as mine works flawlessly. Never had HDMI issues. However from time to time I do have audio losses and I have to remove the HDMI from the Vip622 and reinsert it and the audio comes back. Just shaking it does not make it work. Removing the HDMI from the plasma and reinserting it also does not fix the audio problem. (...)

Huh? You state you never had HDMI issues, but then in the next sentence you indicate that you periodically have to remove the HDMI cable and reinsert it to resolve loss of audio. That sure sounds like an HDMI issue to me, but actually what most folks are waiting on is Dolby Digital 5.1 audio via HDMI. Obviously the HDMI hardware issues (i.e. fragile connector) won't be resolved with a software update.

The audio loss many of us are experiencing is the choppy-audio via optical, where it drops out over and over again briefly. There's also the problem where one tries to pause live content, and the receiver tells one that it's paused, but then when one resumes playback, it's as if one didn't pause it at all.

#51 OFFLINE   zwinflame

zwinflame

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:55 AM

Huh? You state you never had HDMI issues, but then in the next sentence you indicate that you periodically have to remove the HDMI cable and reinsert it to resolve loss of audio. That sure sounds like an HDMI issue to me, but actually what most folks are waiting on is Dolby Digital 5.1 audio via HDMI. Obviously the HDMI hardware issues (i.e. fragile connector) won't be resolved with a software update.

If thats the way to interpret it then I do have HDMI issues. I actually purchased 2 vip622 dvr's for about 1200$'s which was very painful. I don't know if the audio loss is hdmi related or is it my Pioneer PDP-5061HD.

#52 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

I suppose it's possible that some will see something called L4.01 today, but it's not very likely.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#53 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:11 PM

Why do you say that ?? Is it based on the # of 622 receivers out there in relation to the # of people here with 622s ??

#54 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:14 PM

Yep this is what I got as well. Had the warning message this morning. It makes me think that it might have tried to spool, screwed something up and then defaulted back to 3.66.

The recordings on the DVRs are in partitions of the hard drive. They have NO bearing on the software rev that the box runs.

I like this, "...it might have tried to spool, screwed something up and then defaulted back to 3.66" as if the box self-checks itself. It can't. And once a new software rev is installed, there's no going back. So, to break it to you, your box didn't receive L4.xx and change it's mind.

#55 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:19 PM

Why do you say that ?? Is it based on the # of 622 receivers out there in relation to the # of people here with 622s ??

I said that because where we were last night in the testing process. And where we are right now. Slight possibility something will go live tonight, but not likely.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#56 OFFLINE   pbrown

pbrown

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

I also had the Delete Everything screen when I woke up this morning. I reset with power cord and everything was fine. Could they have tried to send us software and it failed?

When my "wake-up" auto timer didn't fire this morning, I thought that it was because I had gotten the new update. This has screwed my auto tune timers in the past. But, when I pressed select, all I had was the warning screen offering the sole option of deleting everything on my hard drive. Naturally, since I read DBStalk often, I knew that this was not going to happen in reality, so I did the only option available and hit select. It rebooted with the 3.66 firmware, no recorded shows lost that I can see.

Glad to see that things have not changed, DISH. :nono2:

What must the usual 622 owner think when they are presented with that warning screen and just one option of deleteing everything???? :eek2:

pbrown
Now I have D*!

#57 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,222 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

I also had the Delete Everything screen when I woke up this morning. I reset with power cord and everything was fine. Could they have tried to send us software and it failed?

That error is caused by a corrupt VOD event ... a portion of your hard drive is being erased -- the VODs. :)

Perhaps that popup will be fixed in L401 as well.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#58 OFFLINE   DAG

DAG

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:34 PM

That error is caused by a corrupt VOD event ... a portion of your hard drive is being erased -- the VODs. :)

Perhaps that popup will be fixed in L401 as well.

Thanks Jim! I appreciate the honest, straightforward, behind the scenes, answers. You're an asset to this board and DISH.
Model 622, replaced once by DISH in Feb., 2006

Software L635
Dual mode

OTAs via large antenna in attic
Panasonic 42" plasma industrial grade monitor
Component video via Audio Authority AA1154A component switcher
Toslink switched/converted to coax via AA1554A
Bose Lifestyle 20 using coax digital audio

#59 OFFLINE   sdsanta

sdsanta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:47 PM

I also got a "delete all" warning last night, seems too much of a cooncidence that many of us are all of a sudden getting this warning?

#60 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

Actually not sdsanta... The corrupt message that people get seems to come in waves. Nobody sees it for a while and then about 1/2 dozen people report getting it on the same day. It has nothing to do with L4.01 release.

spam firewall