Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L4.01 For Thursday?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
91 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   zwinflame

zwinflame

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 11:55 AM

Huh? You state you never had HDMI issues, but then in the next sentence you indicate that you periodically have to remove the HDMI cable and reinsert it to resolve loss of audio. That sure sounds like an HDMI issue to me, but actually what most folks are waiting on is Dolby Digital 5.1 audio via HDMI. Obviously the HDMI hardware issues (i.e. fragile connector) won't be resolved with a software update.

If thats the way to interpret it then I do have HDMI issues. I actually purchased 2 vip622 dvr's for about 1200$'s which was very painful. I don't know if the audio loss is hdmi related or is it my Pioneer PDP-5061HD.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

I suppose it's possible that some will see something called L4.01 today, but it's not very likely.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#53 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:11 PM

Why do you say that ?? Is it based on the # of 622 receivers out there in relation to the # of people here with 622s ??

#54 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:14 PM

Yep this is what I got as well. Had the warning message this morning. It makes me think that it might have tried to spool, screwed something up and then defaulted back to 3.66.

The recordings on the DVRs are in partitions of the hard drive. They have NO bearing on the software rev that the box runs.

I like this, "...it might have tried to spool, screwed something up and then defaulted back to 3.66" as if the box self-checks itself. It can't. And once a new software rev is installed, there's no going back. So, to break it to you, your box didn't receive L4.xx and change it's mind.

#55 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:19 PM

Why do you say that ?? Is it based on the # of 622 receivers out there in relation to the # of people here with 622s ??

I said that because where we were last night in the testing process. And where we are right now. Slight possibility something will go live tonight, but not likely.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#56 OFFLINE   pbrown

pbrown

Legend

• Registered
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

I also had the Delete Everything screen when I woke up this morning. I reset with power cord and everything was fine. Could they have tried to send us software and it failed?

When my "wake-up" auto timer didn't fire this morning, I thought that it was because I had gotten the new update. This has screwed my auto tune timers in the past. But, when I pressed select, all I had was the warning screen offering the sole option of deleting everything on my hard drive. Naturally, since I read DBStalk often, I knew that this was not going to happen in reality, so I did the only option available and hit select. It rebooted with the 3.66 firmware, no recorded shows lost that I can see.

Glad to see that things have not changed, DISH. :nono2:

What must the usual 622 owner think when they are presented with that warning screen and just one option of deleteing everything???? :eek2:

pbrown
Now I have D*!

#57 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,799 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

I also had the Delete Everything screen when I woke up this morning. I reset with power cord and everything was fine. Could they have tried to send us software and it failed?

That error is caused by a corrupt VOD event ... a portion of your hard drive is being erased -- the VODs. :)

Perhaps that popup will be fixed in L401 as well.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#58 OFFLINE   DAG

DAG

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:34 PM

That error is caused by a corrupt VOD event ... a portion of your hard drive is being erased -- the VODs. :)

Perhaps that popup will be fixed in L401 as well.

Thanks Jim! I appreciate the honest, straightforward, behind the scenes, answers. You're an asset to this board and DISH.
Model 622, replaced once by DISH in Feb., 2006

Software L635
Dual mode

OTAs via large antenna in attic
Panasonic 42" plasma industrial grade monitor
Component video via Audio Authority AA1154A component switcher
Toslink switched/converted to coax via AA1554A
Bose Lifestyle 20 using coax digital audio

#59 OFFLINE   sdsanta

sdsanta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 01:47 PM

I also got a "delete all" warning last night, seems too much of a cooncidence that many of us are all of a sudden getting this warning?

#60 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

Actually not sdsanta... The corrupt message that people get seems to come in waves. Nobody sees it for a while and then about 1/2 dozen people report getting it on the same day. It has nothing to do with L4.01 release.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#61 OFFLINE   DAG

DAG

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

I also got a "delete all" warning last night, seems too much of a cooncidence that many of us are all of a sudden getting this warning?

It may have had something to do with a new VOD selection rather than the update.
Model 622, replaced once by DISH in Feb., 2006

Software L635
Dual mode

OTAs via large antenna in attic
Panasonic 42" plasma industrial grade monitor
Component video via Audio Authority AA1154A component switcher
Toslink switched/converted to coax via AA1554A
Bose Lifestyle 20 using coax digital audio

#62 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:26 PM

I said that because where we were last night in the testing process. And where we are right now. Slight possibility something will go live tonight, but not likely.

If I was forced to make a bet right now I would have to go with, "To be released at a later date". I hope I'm wrong but we'll find out shortly.
EAGLES

#63 OFFLINE   sdsanta

sdsanta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:28 PM

When you say VOD selection, are you saying that them just making a new selection available could cause the problem? Because I haven't ordered any VOD?

#64 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

You don't necessarily have to order VOD to have it on your hard drive. Dish deposits and removed VOD as they will, sometimes it get's corrupted and reports the event on the screen.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#65 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:17 PM

It would be interesting to know whether those who have the 'corrupted' message have ever watched any of the downloaded VOD programs. It would also be interesting to know if 'anyone' ever views them. For me, it is a pure waste of disk space and I would really like to be able to have an option to have that disk space for my use and not wasted by Dish trying to emulate cable. Please Dish, be reasonable.
The VOD downloads have caused a lot of the problems and is really unnecessary.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#66 OFFLINE   sdsanta

sdsanta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

It would be interesting to know whether those who have the 'corrupted' message have ever watched any of the downloaded VOD programs. It would also be interesting to know if 'anyone' ever views them. For me, it is a pure waste of disk space and I would really like to be able to have an option to have that disk space for my use and not wasted by Dish trying to emulate cable. Please Dish, be reasonable.

I agree. Although I didn't lose everything on my hard dish, I did lose American Idol that was recording last night. Frustrating to have something I don't even use causing problems.

#67 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:34 PM

And as it relates to this thread, your point is what?

My point is I was anxious to get this software upgrade just like you guys. I called tech support a few times and asked politely for a fix or upgrade and they blew me off like the problems were trivial. The last upgrade was what 5 months ago? I finally gave up. You are more patient than me. So be it. I hope it works well for you.

#68 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:28 AM

I agree. Although I didn't lose everything on my hard dish, I did lose American Idol that was recording last night. Frustrating to have something I don't even use causing problems.

Your recording of American Idol is not erased because of problems with the VOD partition. It is possible however to have corruption on any partition and if so that partition may be erased (reformated).

It was reported that there would be a fix in l4.01 that would eliminate (or at least reduce) the problem that causes corruptions of the VOD partition.
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#69 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:33 AM

I'm curious what you think you can do that will "help" it download and update properly. What are you going to "monitor" ?? The progress bar ??

Mostly if it hangs (as it did with the last update), at least I can go ahead and reboot it and get it up and working immediately without having to discover sometime later that it was frozen up and didn't record anything during the time between when the update occurred and when I found it frozen up.

I so that's what I think I can do to help it download the update properly. I think I can reduce the odds of it missing a day's worth of recordings before I find out it's broken. Is that ok with you?

#70 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

Well that was a big NON event. So basically I gather no one got 4.01. So much for all the hype.
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#71 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,189 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

Probably worth a small reminder... most of the hype has not come from Dish directly. While true they did say they "expected" this updated to have happened by March 1st... that is far from a promise.

-- Friday Friday Friday... the 13th!

What I do when I'm not here

#72 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:52 AM

Well like I said yesterday.. Techportal has been wrong in the past. The last update received was that it was pushed out 2 to 3 weeks. Still got one week on that estimate so lets hope we see it next week. ;)
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#73 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,225 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:30 AM

Don't worry, when the version will be in the air, you'll know it. ;)

#74 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

Thanks P Smith, we appreciate you watching for us :)

#75 OFFLINE   Dmitry

Dmitry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:46 PM

Had the message, never watched any of the VOD programs — since they don't appear in My Recordings list, I don't even know whether there are any on my box at any given time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...