Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD on 2nd TV

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lardog

Lardog

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:36 PM

Newb here, did some research on my question but couldnt find an answer here so I apologize if the question has been asked already. Just had the 622 installed in my home, receiver connected to an HDTV via component (main TV), the RF output on the box is connected via coax to my in home cable wiring providing a signal to a 2nd TV also an HD TV. So far, I'm very happy with all the HD channels, the guide is great, DVR easy to work, etc., etc.

Before the Dish install, I had the main TV connected to my old Cable HD DVR. The 2nd TV was connected directly to a Coax cable in one of the bedrooms. The 2nd TV has a built in QAM tuner so when I first brought it home, I simply connected it to the coax, the TV searched for and found a variety of HD channels that I was able to view without a problem. Now, I get no HD reception on the 2nd TV. I'm assuming that, without another box, this will not change but I'm interested in knowing why.

Anyone? Thanks in advance for the help!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:23 PM

The 622 only outputs SD to TV2, and unlike cable, it is not capable of carrying HD over coax. QAM is not transmitted over DISH. The 622 runs 1 HDTV and 1 SDTV. Additional SDTV's can be mirrored via coax through a home wiring connection.

If your second TV (TV2) is nearby, you can view HD on both TV's by using both the component and HDMI outputs on the 622, but you would be viewing the same channel on both TV's.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#3 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:21 AM

The 622 only outputs SD to TV2, and unlike cable, it is not capable of carrying HD over coax. QAM is not transmitted over DISH. The 622 runs 1 HDTV and 1 SDTV. Additional SDTV's can be mirrored via coax through a home wiring connection.

If your second TV (TV2) is nearby, you can view HD on both TV's by using both the component and HDMI outputs on the 622, but you would be viewing the same channel on both TV's.

Or you could get a component or HDMI splitter like I did. Also, you would be viewing the same channel on both TVs.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#4 OFFLINE   hometronix

hometronix

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:47 PM

I may be missing something here, but your HD TV connected to a CableTV signal would not receive HD signals unless you TV had a CableCard in it. Someone please enlighten me if there is another way to get HD besides the following:

DISH HD Receiver connected via component/HDMI/DVI

DirecTV HD Receiver connected via component/HDMI/DVI

Cable Box/CableCard (Motorola, Scientific Atlanta, TIVO, etc, must be HD) via component/HDMI/DVI (Or built-in CableCard of some models)

Over the air (OTA) via antenna, connected to a HD Digital OTA Tuner (set-top-box via component/HDMI/DVI)

Finally, Over the air (OTA) via antenna, connected to the input of a TV with a built in OTA HD Tuner

I did not think it was possible for a TV with a built in HD tuner to pick up HD channels over cable, although the HD channels may look better than standard def, they will not be in real HD.

Just Curious...

#5 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

I may be missing something here, but your HD TV connected to a CableTV signal would not receive HD signals unless you TV had a CableCard in it. Someone please enlighten me....

You are missing something, so I will enlighten. ;)

A cable card is an authorization device. It is not a tuner. Cable companies send some of their HD unencrypted (all locals for example) "in the clear." All you need is a QAM tuner and you are good to go. It is uncompressed and looks awesome.

#6 OFFLINE   JohnNewton

JohnNewton

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

I may be missing something here, but your HD TV connected to a CableTV signal would not receive HD signals unless you TV had a CableCard in it. Someone please enlighten me if there is another way to get HD besides the following:

I did not think it was possible for a TV with a built in HD tuner to pick up HD channels over cable, although the HD channels may look better than standard def, they will not be in real HD.

Just Curious...

If you have a QAM tuner built into your tv you can get any of the unscrambled HD channels right off the cable. These are usually the big networks ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox and PBS. That is what I do. No extra charge even. Just plug in the cable and enjoy.

You only need a box/cable card for scrambled stations.

John

#7 OFFLINE   ramsfan1980

ramsfan1980

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:02 PM

never mind John answered the question
I believe he is talking about the QAM tuner. You can get the unencrypted cable (HD) channels without needing the cable card. (i.e. local channels)

#8 OFFLINE   MikeRene

MikeRene

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

Or you could get a component or HDMI splitter like I did. Also, you would be viewing the same channel on both TVs.

Hello Lujan (or others),

I would like to do what you are doing regarding an HDMI splitter. I am looking to purchase this one from monoprice:

http://www.monoprice...format=2&style=

I want it to drive my two HDTVs in two separate rooms. The main room, where the 622 DVR is located, is a 1080P monitor. The second set is 720p.

It seems that an HDMI splitter, like the one above, would work based on your post. I am concerned though by a few things:

1.) If you go into the Dish setup menu, it shows you details about your HDTV. Obviously there is two way communication going on here. If there are two HDTVs connected, how will the DVR know which tv to show details about? Will it confuse the receiver?

2.) I read somewhere that HDCP doesn't work with a splitter like this. Would Dish be problematic in this area?

3.) Any other negatives? Is HDMI really defined to properly support multiple devices on it or is the splitter a hack of sorts? I wouldn't be concerned if it were a unidirectional link but, being bidirectional, I am worried about both tvs driving the same signals at the same time and messing things up.

Thanks!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...