Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Program restarted in recording w/o restarting playback

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   plainsman

plainsman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:35 AM

If the title is a bit unclear, I have the following going on:

I record a program, watch it some time later and 3/4ths of the way through the recording jumps to the beginning -- it picks up exactly as if I'd started it over ... but I didn't.
[firmware 3.66 but I think it's a recent update. no idea if the program I was watching was recorded under 3.65 or 3.66]

To all appearances, playback isn't starting over, the program is actually recorded that way. or else, something in the program stream (as it's stored) points back to the program's start.

[ firmware question for the engineers @ echostar: it's as though there's a hole in my filesystem, or a linked list which points back to program start ... ]

Details:

This seems to happen only to BBC america on 135. I don't think I've seen any recorded programs from other channels behave this way.

which indicate this is a bbca problem but I don't buy that -- others would be complaining.

AND, when I fast-forward thru the portion which contains the restart the picture is badly pixelated -- but watching normal playback of that portion shows no pixelation.

hard-drive problem ?

I've been erasing the errant programs but the next one I'll keep. if the problem disappears then I've got a hole in the filesystem, filled by the clobbered program.

thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:58 AM

I'm curious as to what the event looks like to the DVR. What is the total time of the event? When it starts over and you look at time remaining or pause the event, how much time is left? i.e. did that number reset? I don't think I've seen this one before. I've heard of events skipping forward on their own but not starting over. Anymore detail you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Does it happen for ALL recordings on BBC America? Have you seen it on any other channel?
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#3 OFFLINE   plainsman

plainsman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:38 AM

I'm curious as to what the event looks like to the DVR. What is the total time of the event? When it starts over and you look at time remaining or pause the event, how much time is left? i.e. did that number reset? I don't think I've seen this one before. I've heard of events skipping forward on their own but not starting over. Anymore detail you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Does it happen for ALL recordings on BBC America? Have you seen it on any other channel?

Rob,

taking it from the top -

the total time is correct. it wasn't shortened. when the program restarted, and I paused it, it showed about 30 minutes remaining out of the 2-hour length.

it behaved exactly as if 1 recording was made of 3/4ths of the program followed by the first 1/4.

It doesn't happen to all BBCa programs. It happened to an episode of Dr. Who; they were rerunning some of them and I later recorded the it w/o problems. most recently it was a 2-week -old episode of Silent Witness.

and now that I remember, it _may_ not be just BBCa ... I think we've lost the ends of other programs too.

If I were degubbing this (and as an embedded systems engineer I'd love to) - 2 key points grab me:

it's one episode at a time (i.e. I don't get a flurry/cluster of them) - so I wonder about a bad spot on the disk or bad filesystem data causing the playback to loop; a bad spot which keeps getting re-used one at a time.

when I fast-forward at 15x or 60x thru that final 1/4th, instead of smooth fast-forward images I get badly pixelated ones, as though I'm losing reception. but when I stop and play from that point on, the picture is fine.

This suggests that the 622 is unhappy with that part of the program, again perhaps related to doing retries to read a bad spot on the disk, screwing up the timing.

Those are guesses though - I've no information on the filesystem used in the 622. I do embedded linux.

thanks for the interest.

#4 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

Your theory may be correct. I would sugget contacting Dish Technical support and see what they have to say.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#5 OFFLINE   wamjdavis

wamjdavis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

I recorded a subsequent airing without any problems.
Recording looked okay in the list; and fast forward would take you back to the beginning again.

If the title is a bit unclear, I have the following going on:

I record a program, watch it some time later and 3/4ths of the way through the recording jumps to the beginning -- it picks up exactly as if I'd started it over ... but I didn't.
[firmware 3.66 but I think it's a recent update. no idea if the program I was watching was recorded under 3.65 or 3.66]

To all appearances, playback isn't starting over, the program is actually recorded that way. or else, something in the program stream (as it's stored) points back to the program's start.

[ firmware question for the engineers @ echostar: it's as though there's a hole in my filesystem, or a linked list which points back to program start ... ]

Details:

This seems to happen only to BBC america on 135. I don't think I've seen any recorded programs from other channels behave this way.

which indicate this is a bbca problem but I don't buy that -- others would be complaining.

AND, when I fast-forward thru the portion which contains the restart the picture is badly pixelated -- but watching normal playback of that portion shows no pixelation.

hard-drive problem ?

I've been erasing the errant programs but the next one I'll keep. if the problem disappears then I've got a hole in the filesystem, filled by the clobbered program.

thoughts?

#6 OFFLINE   PghGuy

PghGuy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:43 PM

Hello, DBSTalk newbie here...

I recently got Dish in January of this year and I am very happy with it (622 DVR with 53" Pioneer TV). Saturday afternoon however, the exact same thing happened to me. I recorded the penguins game and it would not let me see the 2nd & 3rd periods, would jump back to the start automatically. My experience was identical to "plainsman's". My dvr storage was only about half filled, I deleted the game and some other content and haven't had the problem since.

#7 ONLINE   Aliens

Aliens

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:12 AM

I posted this on 3-2-07. Hasn't happened since.

I recorded the UNC/Maryland game on CSN this past Sunday, and during playback with 10 minutes left in the game, it started the game over. Only thing is, when I put it on pause to see what happened and where I was on the timer, it was an hour and a half into the timer like it should’ve been; only it started the game from the beginning again at that point. Really strange, and I missed a great ending to the game. Never happened before. It seems to have a mind of its own at times. :)

#8 OFFLINE   plainsman

plainsman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 06:30 AM

Ok, houston [denver?] ... we have a problem.

glad to hear it's just not me. In the firmware and embedded systems world, this is what's technically called a 'bug'.

I think all of mine happened under release 3.65 ... I'm going to wait to talk to dish to see if 3.66 or 4.01 fixes it.

anyone else ?

#9 OFFLINE   wamjdavis

wamjdavis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:28 AM

My s/w version was 3.66

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

I've also seen this, and it has been reported through beta channels. In fact, I've seen the same behavior on my 508 as well.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#11 OFFLINE   plainsman

plainsman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:31 PM

My s/w version was 3.66

that's too bad maybe things will be fixed in 4.01 then. I will keep the clobbered program around, the next time I get one, to see if it's the 622's reaction to a bad spot on the disk. I'm guessing no, but maybe ...

I think I'll email dish tech support and supply a link to this thread. maybe they've heard of this.

anyone else ?

#12 OFFLINE   plainsman

plainsman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 12:56 PM

I've also seen this, and it has been reported through beta channels. In fact, I've seen the same behavior on my 508 as well.

so if I'm reading this correctly, this problem was reported by beta-testers and the code was blasted to the rest of us anyway ? Do I have that right?

for the 622, what version of firmware was this first seen with ?

#13 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

when I fast-forward at 15x or 60x thru that final 1/4th, instead of smooth fast-forward images I get badly pixelated ones, as though I'm losing reception. but when I stop and play from that point on, the picture is fine.

This is exactly what happened on one of my recordings of The Sopranos a few weeks ago. This has only happened once, luckily.

spam firewall