Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strange happenings

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

I am use to the 622 locking up with " normal" situations but last night I was in single mode watching Greys Anatomy and had college basketball CBS in PIP. I swapped back to dual mode and this is where the 622 Ghost began. I would try to change channels on TV1; It would show that I was changing by showing the grid in top with a different channel but I was not changing channels. Same happenings on TV2. It would stay on ABC HD and never change to any channel I tried. It would act like it was changing such as showing the channel grid at the top but nothing happened. I gave it 10 minutes to "reset on its own but this never happened. It never froze up; it just would not change channels. I finally did a soft reboot and everything came back normal.
I have a very good knowledge of the workarounds associated with this flawed receiver by reading this Forum but I must say I am tired of this crap and getting no answers except hang on from Dish. I am paying approx. 95 dollars a month for premium programming and I lock up at least 5 times a week. Most of the locking up started when I introduced OTA signal into my receiver. Before this, the caller ID was the only problem I actually had. I have 35 recorded lockups which I have determined records every random boot.
Okay, I still love my receiver but I can tell you if and when *D* becomes a worthy contender I will look at it hard if these issues are not resolved with *E*. Its time for *E* to crap are get off the pot. I have been with *E* for 7 years. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt but this is ridiculous.
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 12:57 PM

As I recall, Smackman, I offered more than once to put you in direct contact with one of the Dish engineers, and you never took me up on it. So, I hope that your Directv experience is better than your Dish Network experience has been.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

I am use to the 622 locking up with " normal" situations but last night I was in single mode watching Greys Anatomy and had college basketball CBS in PIP. I swapped back to dual mode and this is where the 622 Ghost began. I would try to change channels on TV1; It would show that I was changing by showing the grid in top with a different channel but I was not changing channels. Same happenings on TV2. It would stay on ABC HD and never change to any channel I tried. It would act like it was changing such as showing the channel grid at the top but nothing happened. I gave it 10 minutes to "reset on its own but this never happened. It never froze up; it just would not change channels. I finally did a soft reboot and everything came back normal.
I have a very good knowledge of the workarounds associated with this flawed receiver by reading this Forum but I must say I am tired of this crap and getting no answers except hang on from Dish. I am paying approx. 95 dollars a month for premium programming and I lock up at least 5 times a week. Most of the locking up started when I introduced OTA signal into my receiver. Before this, the caller ID was the only problem I actually had. I have 35 recorded lockups which I have determined records every random boot.
Okay, I still love my receiver but I can tell you if and when *D* becomes a worthy contender I will look at it hard if these issues are not resolved with *E*. Its time for *E* to crap are get off the pot. I have been with *E* for 7 years. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt but this is ridiculous.

The compatible DTV unit is not without issues of it's own.

CNET editors' review
Very good
out of 10

The good: Receives and records new MPEG-4 AVC programming, including local and other HD channels not available on older receivers; can record two HD shows simultaneously while playing back a third; can record two over-the-air HD programs simultaneously; excellently designed interface includes contextual menu; easy one-touch recording from EPG or live TV; search function includes history; great range of EPG sort criteria; can bookmark scenes within recordings for easy access; RF-capable remote; impressive image quality.

The bad: Operational bugs include dropped video and audio, crashes, and missed recordings; lacks true 30-second skip function; no picture-in-picture; generally lighter selection of local HD sports channels than cable; no aspect-ratio control with HD sources; still cannot EPG or searches to only subscribed-to channels; cannot properly extend end time of scheduled recordings; somewhat noisy when running.

The bottom line: The DirecTV HR20 is easy to use and offers plenty of features, but its operational bugs make use more of a headache than with other DVRs.
EAGLES

#4 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:10 PM

As I recall, Smackman, I offered more than once to put you in direct contact with one of the Dish engineers, and you never took me up on it. So, I hope that your Directv experience is better than your Dish Network experience has been.

Smackman I can't believe that you didn't take him up on this. If this is true (and knowing Mark, it is), then you have no one to blame but yourself.

#5 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:32 PM

I personally had a conversation with one of the engineers but they had nothing to offer except a promise of software update "soon". Mark, What are they going to do? The same thing they have done since the 622 was born? Anyway this was a seperate problem I had never experienced. I received another receiver at the beginning but the usual software bugs are still here.
Getting in Contact with Dish has gotten me my Rebate and 1 month of service paid for. This I am grateful for.
VIP 722

#6 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

Smackman I can't believe that you didn't take him up on this. If this is true (and knowing Mark, it is), then you have no one to blame but yourself.

Been there, done that.
VIP 722

#7 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

See ya! :D :D

#8 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman