Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

single <-> 2 tv mode from remote(s)?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hohlraum

hohlraum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

Is there anyway to switch between single and two tv mode from the remote rather than having to push the button? Sorry if this is obvious but I didn't spot it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:46 AM

Nope. Just the mode button on the receiver. This is by design, though, as if they enabled mode-switching from the remote then you could hijack the mode change from another room... In my opinion this is smart, as there really shouldn't be a need to switch from one mode to another very often.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

...unless you have a "main" TV that has better PIP capabilities (compared to those built into receiver) but you also have TV2 output running throughout the house. So say sometimes you want to be in dual mode and sometimes you want to be in single user mode.

I wish it were on the remote too! ...or could at least be changed via the menu!

I can eject my DVD disk with the remote--that's stupid. How much engineering brainpower would it take for DN to add single <-> dual feature as a menu option? (Hello, are you listening to us?!?)

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:09 PM

I can eject my DVD disk with the remote--that's stupid. How much engineering brainpower would it take for DN to add single <-> dual feature as a menu option? (Hello, are you listening to us?!?)

I never understood the DVD eject button on the remote either... I still have to get up, so what's the point?

Clearly it would be easy to provide the single/dual function on the remote... It's a conscious choice not to do it on Dish's part.

As for PIP options... If your main TV is an HDTV, then the PIP in the ViP622 would be better since it can be HD when you swap between channels. Since there is only one HD output (the 2nd TV output is SD only) then running that to your TV to use for the TV PIP features, means you are limiting your 2nd tuner displayed on that TV to SD only. My TV has more PIP options too... but since I wouldn't get to use HD on both tuners that way, I saw no point in connecting things that way.

It seems to me that people are either like me and need single user mode to drive one TV... or are using the ViP to drive a 2nd room and need dual mode for unique viewing. If you truly find you need to switch back and forth modes that often, it seems to me like perhaps you'd be better served with another receiver in that other room.

In my house I have a ViP622 in single mode for the main HD room... then a 501 DVR for the bedroom.

#5 OFFLINE   JohnNewton

JohnNewton

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:14 PM

I never understood the DVD eject button on the remote either... I still have to get up, so what's the point?

By the time you get there the door is open and ready for you. Saves at least 3 seconds. :)

John

#6 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 01:24 PM

HDMe, you're right. The only thing I don't like about the 622's current PIP options is that the smaller screen is so far into the main picture (as far as positioning). My HDTV has 2 PIP sizes (in addition to 'side-by-side'). For PIP I can adjust the positioning anywhere on the screen. If I remember correct, the 622 offers 4 locations--upper/lower left/right (in those combinations). Anyways... Hopefully the new software release will also allow for more options. It's supposed to have a side-by-side option (I've heard.)... but will we still have to switch user modes? My wife is gonna' love when I switch it and she has to come downstairs and switch back (aka, I am going to be making a lot of round trips to the living room when she does the, "Honey, could you..." when I forget to switch back!)

#7 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:31 PM

Is there no hack or undocumented programming code for the remote to enable this function? I agree, it would be very nice. Mostly I would like to run it in single mode nearly all the time and allow the downstairs (TV2) user to switch it to dual in the event that they want to watch something different than TV1.

#8 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:15 PM

Is there anyway to switch between single and two tv mode from the remote rather than having to push the button? Sorry if this is obvious but I didn't spot it.

No. :icon_cool

#9 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:11 PM

Clearly it would be easy to provide the single/dual function on the remote... It's a conscious choice not to do it on Dish's part.

They could provide a conscious menu option to do it, and only allow it if the other TV is not in standby mode. (and include a remote code for advanced users that want to be able to do it with a single keypress, of course.)

It seems to me that people are either like me and need single user mode to drive one TV... or are using the ViP to drive a 2nd room and need dual mode for unique viewing. If you truly find you need to switch back and forth modes that often, it seems to me like perhaps you'd be better served with another receiver in that other room.

Then you can't watch recordings from a main repository, and you incur both an extra tuner and DVR fee (unless you simply never want to watch the DVR in the second room.)

It's trivial to do, could be done such that it doesn't interrupt anyone, and ultimately if there's going to be a fight about it then the fight was going to take place whether it's hitting a button on the DVR or simply telling the other person to shut off the TV.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:25 PM

I kind of compare this to the folks that buy those mini-vans that have the removable backseat. If you need to take the seat out every other day, then put it back in every other day... then you probably aren't using the right vehicle for your needs. Those folks need to either have a 2nd vehicle to accomodate the other "configuration" or need to rethink just how much they really need to remove that seat.

Similar with the ViP622... if you need to switch back and forth from single to dual that much, it sounds like you really need another receiver for the other room. If you are only doing the mode switch every once in a while, then it is not that inconvenient to go up to the receiver and push the button. I mean, if you are going to go into the other room you are already going to have to get up anyway, right? So go push the button before going into the other room... then when you come back to the main room, push the button again while you are still up :)

#11 OFFLINE   koralis

koralis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:50 PM

I kind of compare it to looking at the system information or running a check switch. It happens so rarely it could be a function only on the front of the system, and yet they put it in the menuing system. Switching modes can happen much more frequently.

As for whether you've got the right system, I could spin that many ways too. Obviously the 622 is redundant since you could just have one HD dvr and one SD dvr. It was pointless for them to add that feature... but they did. They could add another feature too, which would make the mode switch less annoying than removing the rear bench in a minivan.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...