Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I thought it was L401 but ...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:47 AM

last night I had started watching the Spurs-Bucks game while it was still in progress of recording, then paused it to watch a DVD instead. While watching the DVD I heard what I thought was a tornado in the room that turned out to be the 622 rebooting, alarmingly during the time it should have been recording the game. I figured it was the phantom of L401 download (it was about midnight or so) but alas, no! It booted back up and continued recording the game with two DVR events listed for the game, and the system info showed still L366.

So.

Any clue why it is rebooting while in the middle of a recording? It did this to me the other day while I was recording a movie, and ended up with two DVR events for each part of the recording (missing the gap while it rebooted).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

What you are seeing was a spontaneous reboot. Now the Question is why? Since it was around midnight, doubt it had anything to do with the update time. I would got back and see if you can pick up on if the reboot happend while an event was firing or finishing. Also how many recordings and what type of recordings where going on. It sounds like this is your second one. You should not be getting a lot of these and if you do have a high frequency of them, I would suspect your box might be on the flacky side.

Well What I would suggest is monitor it and try collecting some data on it. Also, see if L4.01 improves this issue.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:53 AM

well, last night it was just recording one thing. I don't recall what was happening the time before. I normally try and schedule recordings for the middle of the night when possible (like from movie channels etc.) so that it doesn't interfere with watching live TV during the day or conflict with recurrent timers like prime-time TV shows. I have only had this thing about 2 weeks and it's obviously done this twice, but it has really not had any other problem except being frozen after the L366 update.

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

Well the frozen with the L366 update concerns me a bit and that is why I mentioned tracking what appears to be spontaneous reboots. You can get the Time it rebooted by going in the DVR history and looking at the time of second event and see it there is anything other time event that seem to happen at the time of the reboot.

How is your power? Is it on the power conditioner or UPS. This type of behavior also can be an indication of a power issue.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   eatonjb

eatonjb

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:29 AM

same thing has been happinging..

it seems it happens ONLY at night, like it was doing an update or something.

I never had a problem with the box, durring the day the uptime is good.. at night between 3-6 it will reboot.. I always here it because I am mostly on the computer at that time.

e..b

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

The reboot between 3-6 may be normal. Check your update time (Menu-8-5) This is when the reboot will occur. It happens ever night.

#7 OFFLINE   TechniKal

TechniKal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 01:53 PM

What kind of environment is the box located in? Closed cabinet? Seems like these units are sensitive to heat build up and perform better in well-ventilated environments.

FWIW - I have my unit for a little over a month. No lockups or reboots. The only issues have been the OTA problems with Fox and audio dropouts when using the Optical connection. Mine's on an open shelf in my entertainment center - no equipment above or below it.

#8 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

I definitely think heat is a big factor with some of the 622 I've seen. My 622 is in an TV stand that has glass doors in front, but open in the back. The one time I had to reboot the top of my 622 was hot enough to cook on. I've been looking at getting a laptop cooler to put under the unit to help keep it cool.

spam firewall