Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cloudy left and right bar on ViP622 w/ Samsung ln-5296

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trekker76

trekker76

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here am having an issue with my new ViP 622 on my Samsung LN5296D. When switching between channels (or in dark scenes) there is a very noticable cloudy bar on the left and right of the screen! But this is not there when viewing a DVD or for that matter when I switched channels on my old regular SD Dish Network receiver . So I know this is not a TV issue that some Sammy's experience (and this is too well-defined to be mura). I called Dish network customer support but they were clueless and have scheduled a tech call. Obviously, I'm NOT talking about the solid gray bars of the stretch/normal/gray bar feature.

I am connecting via HDMI, FWIW.

Here are two screenshots -- first of a DVD paused right before a drak/black

Second screenshot is of Dishnetwork. I get the same bars in a CD channel (e.g. 981 CD 32) as well.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• DVD_Paused.JPG
  • DishHD.JPG

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:39 PM

Is it a gost image? Do you see it when the tv is in 16x9? It could be image burn. Do you watch a lot of tv with the balck bars on the side?

I may be off, just trying to help. But others in the know will help more.

#3 OFFLINE   trekker76

trekker76

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

Is it a gost image? Do you see it when the tv is in 16x9? It could be image burn. Do you watch a lot of tv with the balck bars on the side?

I may be off, just trying to help. But others in the know will help more.

But the TV is LCD ... and I watch mostly in 16:9.

TV's 3 weeks old and I got the 622 DishHD this week.

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

What are you 622 HDTV output set to and what is your zoom mode? Also, where is the picture that should go along with the channel? Do you see any ghosting on the sides when watching an HD channel?

Interesting.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   trekker76

trekker76

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:25 PM

What are you 622 HDTV output set to and what is your zoom mode? Also, where is the picture that should go along with the channel? Do you see any ghosting on the sides when watching an HD channel?

Interesting.

1080i. ZOom mode is normal and yes I see the clouds in HD channels when viewing a dark scene on Dish.

When watching a dark scene in DVD or on my Wii its fine.

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:57 PM

I assume it is 1080i and 16x9. That is odd. So you get the cloudyness when watching a 16x9 content? Is this both on HDMI and Component? This is strange one. Might have a bad box.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 10:25 PM

The channel he photod was 4X3. Perhaps the TV shows grey bars outside the black zone of a 4X3 picture. Mine is adjustable to either black or grey.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#8 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 11:54 PM

I thought that too Jim... but they don't look like any gray bars I have seen and he indicated the cloudyness over a 16x9 HD picture. At least that is how I read it. Would be interesting to see what a ESPNHD shot looks like.

It Goes away with DVD so wondering if this is input dependent. Was this always that way or did it just appear. It does look sort of like a 4x3 picture with the content outside of the 4x3 way turned up.

#9 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 12:10 AM

Is the 622 going through an AVR or is it connected directly to the TV via HDMI?

I would like to see a screen shot of a 16:9 HD picture.

My guess is it's a TV setting when the TV senses 480i broadcast.

#10 OFFLINE   trekker76

trekker76

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:31 PM

622 is connected directly to the TV via HDMI. I have not checked with Component cables but will do.

Here are a couple of shots of Ocean's 11 on TNT HD 16:9.

Attached Thumbnails

• TNT-HD.JPG
  • TNT-HD2.JPG

#11 OFFLINE   trekker76

trekker76

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

For comparison, here are a few screenshots of other sources (PC VGA, SD DVD upscaled to 1080i via HDMI) below which do not have the white/gray area on the left and right.

Attached Thumbnails

• PC-out.JPG
  • TOS.JPG
  • Voyager.JPG

#12 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:45 PM

Thats a real head scratcher there.
Try moving Dish to different HDMI input of swap to component.

#13 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

If you have multiple HDMI inputs, it would be interesting to see if the problem travels with the 622 by swapping cables. Also interested if component shows it. I assume this is with all content. Some TVs has individual settings for inputs. I would check those but based on your posts my guess is you have already done it.

I would try and input swap. If the problem moves then I would suspected a bad 622... What you are seeing is by no means normal. If you have component.. Do try it.

#14 OFFLINE   trekker76

trekker76

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 12:36 PM

If you have multiple HDMI inputs, it would be interesting to see if the problem travels with the 622 by swapping cables. Also interested if component shows it. I assume this is with all content. Some TVs has individual settings for inputs. I would check those but based on your posts my guess is you have already done it.

I would try and input swap. If the problem moves then I would suspected a bad 622... What you are seeing is by no means normal. If you have component.. Do try it.

All right, so Dish tech visited today and were unable to resolve the issue :( We switched HDMI cables and input and the cloudiness remained. HOWEVER, it goes away with Component.

Thoughts? I am going to try to escalate this with Dish. In the meanwhile I'm stuck with component. How much is the image quality worse on Component for the 622 as compared to HDMI?

Trekker

#15 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

This has been debated endlessly. The summary: depends upon your equipment, but generally the difference between HDMI and component is either very small or nonexistent. One qualifier - use decent cables for component (that doesn't mean Monster cables!). It's an analog signal, and cable quality makes a lot more difference than it does with a digital signal.

My avatar says it all.

#16 OFFLINE   trekker76

trekker76

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

All right, so Dish tech visited today and were unable to resolve the issue :( We switched HDMI cables and input and the cloudiness remained. HOWEVER, it goes away with Component.

Thoughts? I am going to try to escalate this with Dish. In the meanwhile I'm stuck with component. How much is the image quality worse on Component for the 622 as compared to HDMI?

Trekker

Forgot to mention that the Dish techie switched out a new 622 as well and that didn't make a difference :/

#17 OFFLINE   trekker76

trekker76

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

This has been debated endlessly. The summary: depends upon your equipment, but generally the difference between HDMI and component is either very small or nonexistent. One qualifier - use decent cables for component (that doesn't mean Monster cables!). It's an analog signal, and cable quality makes a lot more difference than it does with a digital signal.

What recourse do I have with Dish about this? I am paying for a service that I'm not getting? am I eligible for a discount or something since they accept they are unable to resolve the issue and its not a fault with the TV?

Trekker

#18 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 02:05 PM

Have you checked that particular TV input with another source like a DVD? Not just the TV but that particular Input. Also, Might want to wait until you get L4.01. There is an HDMI test button that might provide some info?

WHen you check inputs, make sure you are using the same resolution. IF you have a DVD player. Compare your 622 at the same resolution so you are comparing apples to apples and give the best chance of ruling out an bad inputs.

Since the 622 was swapped and no difference it is going to be hard to get Dish to do anything. There is a lot of people using HDMI and you are the first report of what you are experience.

Oh.. what is your TV make and model. Perhaps someone here has the same configuration and can indicate if they are having the same problem or not.

#19 OFFLINE   trekker76

trekker76

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:18 PM

Have you checked that particular TV input with another source like a DVD? Not just the TV but that particular Input. Also, Might want to wait until you get L4.01. There is an HDMI test button that might provide some info?

WHen you check inputs, make sure you are using the same resolution. IF you have a DVD player. Compare your 622 at the same resolution so you are comparing apples to apples and give the best chance of ruling out an bad inputs.

Since the 622 was swapped and no difference it is going to be hard to get Dish to do anything. There is a lot of people using HDMI and you are the first report of what you are experience.

Oh.. what is your TV make and model. Perhaps someone here has the same configuration and can indicate if they are having the same problem or not.

Samsung LN5296D 52" 1080p LCD. And yes i've tested the same HDMI input with a DVD upscaling to 1080i (see pictures above) and cannot reproduce the issue.

When is L4.01 coming out?

Trekker

#20 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:02 PM

Sounds to me like it would be best for Dish to cut their losses and toss you to the curb.
If they replaced the receiver and it still does it, guess what? It ain't the receiver! :grin:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...