Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dartonviper

dartonviper

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

Just got my first of the new 1000.2 dish sets. Just wondering if there are any pointing tips any other installers could give.
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mikemorin

mikemorin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

I've only installed 1 of the new 1000.2 dishes. I ran a lead form the input #1 and setup the dish by what the book told me. Leveled the mast and slowly moved dish from south to the southwest and my accutrac pro tweaked it out for me. Nothing much but they're alot heavier dish and almost need struts to secure it properly....let me know if this helps you any??
Mike

#3 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 March 2007 - 11:55 PM

Just got my first of the new 1000.2 dish sets. Just wondering if there are any pointing tips any other installers could give.
Thanks

Buy a Birdog. ;) :P :P

#4 OFFLINE   dartonviper

dartonviper

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:12 AM

I was told that a bird dog don't work with the 1000.2. They also don't work with wild blue. Therefore I see no advantage investing in one. I've installed dish for 6 years and only use a channel master. I have had 3 accutrac pro's but the don't hold up.

#5 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:25 AM

I was told that a bird dog don't work with the 1000.2. They also don't work with wild blue. Therefore I see no advantage investing in one. I've installed dish for 6 years and only use a channel master. I have had 3 accutrac pro's but the don't hold up.

The Birdog works with the 1000.2. You just cannot select the 129 sat. and get a signal. You have to align it on the 119 sat. I have installed the 1000.2 using a birdog and it works fine. I would prefer to align on the 129 sat. but the signal strength was fine using the 119.

#6 OFFLINE   dartonviper

dartonviper

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:31 PM

nice to know. now if we can get birddog to work on wild blue I would probably get one.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:55 PM

nice to know. now if we can get birddog to work on wild blue I would probably get one.

It looks like part of the issue might be that the Wildblue dish requires 30VDC@2amps.

#8 OFFLINE   davidjbergman

davidjbergman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:20 PM

the 1000.2 is the easist 3 obirtal sat to aim. Port 1 is 110. port 2 is 119 and port 3 is the 129. I usually connect my meter to port 3(129). peak it out. Verify good signal on port 1(110). If good signal on 110 and 129 119 will usually come in.

#9 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:06 AM

According to the dish 1000.2 installation guide , port one is for 119 ,port two is 110 and port three is 129. Now the lnbs are in a different configuration . From left to right it is 110/119/129. Confusing but the manual clearly says plug the meter into the port one for 119 and peak it on that satellite. That is what I did. I put aluminum foil over the 110 and 129 sat and peaked it on the middle lnb 119 using port one of the lnb. I have done two installs and it works just fine and I get in the 100s on 119 and 90s and some 100s on 110 and 129 sat has good signals in 90s ,80s and some 70s.

#10 OFFLINE   STDog

STDog

Legend

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

Wow, installers that actually use a signal meter.

The installers that did my upgrade from 300 to 500 didn't. Nor did the installer that did the SuperDish.

I used an old Channel Master meter back when I installed C-band systems, but I've never seen a small dish installed with one.

#11 OFFLINE   dartonviper

dartonviper

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:07 PM

Well, I have now installed 2 of them with no problems, just another dish.
I was playing around with my first one last week. It was a dish mover that had a 322 and I was adding a 622, I used the 322 to power up my meter (like I was told) The 322 (since it was active) was trying to find a satellite and was switching between 119 and 110. Other than that no problems. Today when I pointed it I just use the power from my meter and it worked just fine. I will try that again tomorrow.

#12 OFFLINE   dartonviper

dartonviper

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:09 PM

Wow, installers that actually use a signal meter.

The installers that did my upgrade from 300 to 500 didn't. Nor did the installer that did the SuperDish.

I used an old Channel Master meter back when I installed C-band systems, but I've never seen a small dish installed with one.

Installers that don't use a meter is just throwing money away. As far as I'm concerned!

#13 OFFLINE   STDog

STDog

Legend

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

Installers that don't use a meter is just throwing money away. As far as I'm concerned!

How so? What money are the "throwing" away? Not the cost of the signal meter. Do they actually have to come back (for free) if a customer calls E* and complains about a week signal?

Seriously, the 1st guys (4 of them to do a 500 up grade that I had already done, I just had them redo the cables a bit neater. I didn't have any RG-6 connectors or a decent crimping tool any more) They didn't have a ladder to reach my roof either (showed up with only a 6' step ladder :eek: ) and had to use my extension ladder. They insisted on "peaking the dish" and ended up with a weaker signal on both birds than I had before they started. They had one guy inside and one on the roof, and used the "meter" on the receiver. (I went up on the roof after they left and got the strength back where it was.)

The guy that did the SuperDIsh did it the same as me, and listened to the audio from the receiver through the widow. His was easier since the SD was on a ground pole and not the roof. I wish he'd put it on the roof though (*). He didn't even bury the cable very well. 6" deep at most. When I did C-Band we went 18" deep.

Only reason the "installers" were ever at my house was 1) the 500 upgrade came with it and I scheduled in case I had troubles 2) for the SuperDish I didn't have a choice, E* wouldn't send me the parts and just let me do the job.

Same with the guy that ran my 3rd room and and brought the 301 receiver in that room. It was part of the "package" and E* wouldn't just send me the receiver/lnbs. At the time I had 2 dual LNBs. It only too 3 trips for hem to get the Pro Quad LNB, the adapter needed for my 4900, and a 301 to the house at the same time:mad: I had no problems with the 500 upgrade which E* sen to my house directly. The dish, 2 dual LNBs, the correct switch, and cables were all in the box they sent.

* Does E* really not install the SuperDish any way other than a ground pole? The guy told me he wasn't allowed to install it on the roof, something about the roof/wall mount not being strong enough. I know the 500 came with a new, bigger mount to strengthen the mounting. So is they no wall/roof mount for the SuperDish?

Has anyone done a roof mount? Were there problems? I'd really like to move my dish/cables up off the ground.

#14 OFFLINE   dartonviper

dartonviper

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

Well first of all, anyone that installs their time is worth money. Therefore a meter is worth the money. When used right the meter can trouble shoot most of a service call. Whether it's a bad receiver, cable, or lnb. Second of all, I'm sorry that you have had lousey luck with your local installers.

spam firewall