Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Volume problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rice0209

rice0209

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

A while back I received an SVA 42" plasma. Yes, I had never heard of the SVA brand of television either until I saw the box for the TV I had won. None the less it was free.

The unit is cheap and is giving me one particularly annoying problem. I have very little volume control. The lowest setting the tv has, at level 1, is the equivalent to turning most tv's half way up on the volume scale. The next step down, 0, is muted. This is very annoying at night as my wife likes to watch a little tv while i try to go to sleep. Unfortunately, its so loud on the lowest setting, that this is impossible.

This tv has been hooked up to an old 510 receiver as well as my new 622 receiver and I have tried multiple inputs on the back for audio and always have the same problem. I cannot find any codes that control the tv, since it is an off brand.

Has anyone had a problem like this where the volume is either really loud or mute from volume setting 0 to 1?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Race_Bannon

Race_Bannon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:59 AM

A while back I received an SVA 42" plasma. Yes, I had never heard of the SVA brand of television either until I saw the box for the TV I had won. None the less it was free.

The unit is cheap and is giving me one particularly annoying problem. I have very little volume control. The lowest setting the tv has, at level 1, is the equivalent to turning most tv's half way up on the volume scale. The next step down, 0, is muted. This is very annoying at night as my wife likes to watch a little tv while i try to go to sleep. Unfortunately, its so loud on the lowest setting, that this is impossible.

This tv has been hooked up to an old 510 receiver as well as my new 622 receiver and I have tried multiple inputs on the back for audio and always have the same problem. I cannot find any codes that control the tv, since it is an off brand.

Has anyone had a problem like this where the volume is either really loud or mute from volume setting 0 to 1?

I could not locate anything like this anywhere. What is the model number of the TV?

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,175 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:52 PM

Unfortunately, its so loud on the lowest setting, that this is impossible.

You got the value that you paid for. I would recommend putting a "pad" on the RCA outputs of the satellite receiver to bring the output level down.

How does this get to be a ViP622 support issue?

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,175 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

I could not locate anything like this anywhere. What is the model number of the TV?

Amazon.com was selling them like hotcakes for about two weeks back in the Summer of 2004. The model number they offered was: HD4208TIII-PDP.

#5 OFFLINE   Rovingbar

Rovingbar

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

I would recommend putting a "pad" on the RCA outputs of the satellite receiver to bring the output level down.

I have a similar issue on a cheap TV-DVD combo that is completely unrelated to our vip622. :)

I am sure there are some sort of attenuators that can reduce the volume. Is this what you mean by "pad" on the RCA outputs?

BTW: I did a quick froogle search on rca attenuator and found a lot of them for under $15. I bet a quick trip to Radio Shack or even Best Buy might help.

Good luck,
Jeff

#6 OFFLINE   rice0209

rice0209

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

Harsh,

This isn't necessarily a vip 622 issue, or a 510 issue, other then me doing some checking to make sure I did not miss anything. Every tv I have ever hooked up to dish has been in the list of codes. This one was not and i am just doing my due diligence to nail this down as a tv issue. Since the dish unit has no volume control of its own, i wanted to make sure that by default, without a tv code entered into the system, that this wasn't a dish problem.

Secondly, i didn't pay for this television, it was free, as i stated in my first post.

Third, you are correct. The model number is the HD4208TIII-PDP.

Roving, thanks for the tip about the attenuator. I'll check those out. I am still confused as to why the volume level is amplified. I can't imagine what purpose this would serve for any television of any quality.

I did a couple hours of searching on the internet and no one else has this problem. Not that money people bought these. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...