Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Local channel/spot beam prob. with 366

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mchaney

mchaney

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:41 PM

Ever since 366 was loaded, my local channels (via satellite, not OTA) have started breaking up. I get video breakups a dozen times or more during each 60 minute show. That occurs whenever I watch any of the SD locals: to me, those are on the 110 satellite. When I tune to one of those locals and then do a signal strength test, it's always 68 to 69 and the transponder number is either 23 or 25 I think. Go to any other channel like animal planet or something else that's on the 110 satellite and I get 95-96 signal strength on transponder 2.

Is something going on with the spot beams? I wouldn't think this is a dish alignment issue since the regular (non-spot-beam) stuff has a much higher signal strength on that same satellite. Any ideas? Could be coincidental, but this began the very day after 366 loaded. I've done multiple power cord resets too: no change. I have Dish 500 with the 110/119 and 62.5 dishes and the weather is clear. Signal strength on 119 and 62.5 all are over 100 (like 102-105) and both dishes are mounted on the same post.

Thanks,
Mike

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

Sounds like you are not within the spotbeam area. You should be at least 75 to keep from having video/audio breakups.

#3 OFFLINE   mchaney

mchaney

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:26 PM

Sounds like you are not within the spotbeam area. You should be at least 75 to keep from having video/audio breakups.

Not sure how that could happen as I've been getting them OK until now. All transponders are 96 to 105 on the 110 satellite except transponder 23 which is the one that feeds me my locals. I really think there is a problem with the satellite or something.

Mike

#4 OFFLINE   mchaney

mchaney

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:49 PM

It turns out this appears to be a problem for anyone receiving Baltimore locals from the satellite. I called my installer yesterday and he confirmed that he is getting the same signal strength as I am (68-70) with video/audio dropouts. Most other transponders on that same satellite, the non-spot beam ones) are 100 to 105 signal strength so Dish appears to have a problem with their Baltimore spot beam! I called dish yesterday and the had me test a few different transponders and then told me that they'd have to pass the info on to engineering and they hope to get it fixed from their end. Never heard of a spot beam "going bad" before, but I guess this is proof that it happens. It's been over 24 hours at this point and it is unchanged so who knows how long it will take them to fix it. :( It took them months to acknowledge that their guide data was fouled up for the ABC Baltimore local channel and they finally fixed that. I'm not holding my breath that they fix this before summer, but who knows...

Mike

#5 OFFLINE   RickDee

RickDee

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:20 PM

It turns out this appears to be a problem for anyone receiving Baltimore locals from the satellite. I called my installer yesterday and he confirmed that he is getting the same signal strength as I am (68-70) with video/audio dropouts. Most other transponders on that same satellite, the non-spot beam ones) are 100 to 105 signal strength so Dish appears to have a problem with their Baltimore spot beam! I called dish yesterday and the had me test a few different transponders and then told me that they'd have to pass the info on to engineering and they hope to get it fixed from their end. Never heard of a spot beam "going bad" before, but I guess this is proof that it happens. It's been over 24 hours at this point and it is unchanged so who knows how long it will take them to fix it. :( It took them months to acknowledge that their guide data was fouled up for the ABC Baltimore local channel and they finally fixed that. I'm not holding my breath that they fix this before summer, but who knows...

Mike

They need an In-Flight mechanic to go up there and fix the satellite. You could always call Dish and volunteer for the job!

spam firewall