Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Too many timer events!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   genegraham

genegraham

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:50 PM

Hi,

I'm new to the wonderful world of the 622, having only had it for just over a week. And in that time I've already hit the dreaded timer event limit.

One of the problems is that I have so many duplicates of the local stations. For example, I get NBC on three separate channels: One SD, one HD, and one OTA HD. So when I want to record a program with a Dish Pass, I get three events for the price of one.

Besides going to straight Timers (in other words, only considering programming from one channel instead of all), is there a way one can limit the effect this channel redundancy has on timer event proliferation? It's killing me!

Thanks,
Gene

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:06 PM

Gene,
Try using the options selection prior to creating the timer when using Dish Pass. There you can tell the 622 which channel to record your event(s) from. :)
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#3 OFFLINE   genegraham

genegraham

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

Gene,
Try using the options selection prior to creating the timer when using Dish Pass. There you can tell the 622 which channel to record your event(s) from. :)

I appreciate the advice, but doesn't that effectively turn a Dish Pass into a Timer? If so, then what's the point of making a Dish Pass...I'd just create a simple timer for the program I'm interested in. Problem is, it doen't only play on one local, it plays elsewhere too. Hence my desire to create a Dish Pass.

I know that the forum has been all over E* regarding the timer event limit. It's arbitrary (and tiny). Dare I say...stupid :eek:? The problem is non-existant in the TiVO world. All the work arounds I can think of, such as creating a Dish Pass for a specific channel, or perhaps even multiple Timers (for the same program on specific channels) are work-arounds for bad programming, and shouldn't be necessary. But...I'm preaching to the choir, I know :) .

Again, thanks for trying, I really do appreciate the attempt to help!

#4 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

Dish is increasing the number, see the following thread.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=81333

#5 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:45 AM

genegraham,

:welcome_s to the forum.. Based on your comments you have obviously done some searching. I think there is a thread link on the tips and trick sticky where users have discussed various way of minimizing Timer events. Perhaps you already looked at it.

As n0qcu indicated. It has been indicated these will be increased on the next release, but I am sure there still will be a limit so it is always good to use a new or all show timer when you are not searching for a particular thing. To me, Dish Pass is more of a I am interested in Harrison Ford movies while New timers are more for catching Survivor or Amazing Race shows.

As for the discussion on limits, you can also find a thread on the sticky. If you read the sticky you will find that not a lot of people run into this limitation. Most of the people that do are folks creating timers for shows that have a lot of re-runs or they create a lot of Dish Pass events looking for a specific movie. Yes all valid use cases but definitely not one I would say is in the majority. Based on my experiencing reading the boards since the 622 was released, though the limit may seem tiny to you it does seem to be adequate for a large percentage of users here.

Yes I am glad to see it increased because I know it effects some users, but I would not consider it inadequate for the majority of 622 users based on my sample here. Is it bad programming? well that can be discussed in the General forum if you want, but since this is a no bash forum we keep from those type of judgments.

As for when the next release will be out... Well hopefully soon... It sounds like it is close based on reports floating around, but we all know how software patches can go ..
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#6 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:45 AM

If the next software release ever makes it out, there's supposedly an option to tell your Dish Pass which channel to use as your preference. That is, if a program is on the OTA HD/digital channel, satellite-HD channel, and satellite-SD channel, you can tell it which to use. For example, you can tell it to use the OTA-HD if available and it will not record the other two.

#7 OFFLINE   genegraham

genegraham

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:26 PM

If the next software release ever makes it out, there's supposedly an option to tell your Dish Pass which channel to use as your preference. That is, if a program is on the OTA HD/digital channel, satellite-HD channel, and satellite-SD channel, you can tell it which to use. For example, you can tell it to use the OTA-HD if available and it will not record the other two.

If that's the case, that would be a wonderful change. I've wondered what logic the 622 uses to choose between the same programs offered on SD and HD channels.

Thanks everyone!

#8 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

DishPass doesn't use very much logic. It simply tags *everything* it finds, does it not ?? Sure sounds like it from your experience. I don't use DishPass myself though I understand some of it's benefits.

#9 OFFLINE   pcstuff

pcstuff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

Have had a 625 for almost two years and the 622 for about a month. I have NEVER run into a timer problem and we have a ton of shows scheduled on the 625 and I mean a TON.

What I would much rather see is something along the lines of TIVO's suggestions, my daughter and I loved that feature.

#10 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:53 AM

Blah, Tivo can keep their suggestions. I didn't like them when I had a Tivo and don't want them anywhere near my 622.

#11 ONLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

Use DishPass to avoid missing a program to record. Once the Timer shows up in your list (and therefore in your guide) delete the DishPass timer and create a new one from the Guide with all of the timer options now available. Then if there is a hiatus in the program's schedule, the timer will be there for a reappearance.

Pat

#12 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:19 AM

Up date L4.01 will increase that number ffrom 288 to 576.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...