Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How can I record the same program in SD and HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brantlew

brantlew

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

There are some programs which I would like to watch in HD for the best quality but would also like to keep a copy stored on my hard drive for later viewing. I don't want to use up all my storage with HD recordings so I would like the stored copy to be in SD format. However when I try to create a timer for the HD program from my OTA antenna and the same program from the satellite in SD, the guide doesn't allow the second recording claiming that it is a duplicate. Does anyone know how to get past this restriction?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:17 PM

There are some programs which I would like to watch in HD for the best quality but would also like to keep a copy stored on my hard drive for later viewing. I don't want to use up all my storage with HD recordings so I would like the stored copy to be in SD format. However when I try to create a timer for the HD program from my OTA antenna and the same program from the satellite in SD, the guide doesn't allow the second recording claiming that it is a duplicate. Does anyone know how to get past this restriction?

Once you have created the second event, and the software flags it as a duplicated/skipped event, click on the second duplicated recording from your guide. It will be marked with a X'd out bubble. It will then appear in the daily schedule as a skipped (duplicate) event. Select restore. The software will ask if you want to restore only this single event, or apply this selection to all events effected by this timer. Make your appropriate choice.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:06 AM

However.. the tough problem brant is the procedure kdg454 gave you is correct but only is a one time shot and I am sure you were hoping for something automatic. As far as I know, there is not a way to do it because both HD and SD programs are considered the same if there episode ids and show ids are the same. It actually is a feature of NBR and of the 622 for most users. I would add it to the wish list though I am not sure how many people would want this type of feature.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:06 AM

I'm not sure about OTA & satellite, but I have had it happen where both channels are from the satellite. I have 2 timers setup. The 1st timer records my show restricted to the SD channel and the 2nd timer records the same show on the HD channel. I believe I have both timers setup to record all shows. What I've found is that I will get a particular episode recorded on the SD channel and then a couple of days later the episode will record on the HD channel.

#5 OFFLINE   Wildman63

Wildman63

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

I watch recorded HD movies while I burn them to DVDs on my Panasonic DMR-ES46V... then delete the DVR copy, unless it's really an excellent flick. I seldom have more than a few hours stored on the hard drive. I use the DVR primarily to schedule TV watching.

#6 OFFLINE   Jolard

Jolard

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

I have problems with one of my OTA channels, and so sometimes shows tape great, othertimes they don't. So I have one show I record in both HD and SD to make sure I get it fine.

The only way to have regular timers work like this (without having to restore every week) is to set a manual timer for one of them. i.e. set it to record on such and such a channel from 8:59 pm to 10:03 pm. In other words, set up a time based timer instead of a show based timer.

Hope that makes sense.

spam firewall