Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L4.01 Here We Go Again!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
132 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:42 AM

Well it looks like they are going to try a partial release again on Thursday. See the tech portal. It's still hidden, but it's there. I have a gut feeling that this may actually spool. We'll see.
EAGLES

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:50 AM

this cracks me up.

it's like that whole Charlie Brown and Lucy bit with the football.

#3 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:38 AM

You know at this point, if this release doesn't fix absolutely everything wrong with the receiver, people are still going to be upset. Nothing like paying $90+/month while users get to play "beta tester" with their released units.

Maybe I'm just still bitter over the whole 921 catastrophe.

#4 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:02 AM

Remember guys.. We are in the support forum so lets try to avoid rat holing here. We all want to see L4.01 arrive, but this is software and if this turns into a venting "Were is the damn L4.01 thread" I will have to move or close this one. General forum is for venting. ;)

As for it being like the 921, I was also a 921 user and my experience with my two 622s is nothing like the 921. If people have expectations that L4.01 will solve all the 622 problems for all users, some will sorely be disappointed. It is software, and any time you do release you risk introducing bugs as well as resolving some. Given that L4.01 will also introduce features, that increases the possibility in those areas for bug introduction since there is new code and also adds the possibility of side effect defects.

Personally I wish they would stop posting on the Tech Portal.. Software is software. Things get found at the last minute and plugs get pulled. Personally I don't consider hidden HTML as posting, but some will and some will be disappointed if it does appear. I definitely hope it appears, but if it does not I assume they did not feel it was ready.

In my software experience we always ask the question.. Is this release a step forward or back? Tough question to ask. but if you feel real confident the answer is yes then most likely the release will go well. It is when you don't feel comfortable with a Yes answer but others outside the real of responsibility push and it goes is when things get ugly. Lets hope with L4.01 it is the former.

Well Guess we will see what happens... . Like I always say.. Take it with a grain of salt.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:37 PM

People (customers), some of them anyway, will get mad either way... but I agree, it would probably be smart for Dish not to post things on a public forum like their Tech portal. Some folks just don't "get" it and will get mad because of a "broken promise".

I've had minimal issues, and none major, with my ViP622 thus far... so I'd rather them get things stable and right before updating the firmware/software. I am looking forward to at least one (PIP) of the new features though.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   cloudtamer

cloudtamer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

Do we still get a cookie if we are the first to post like in the last thread? :P

:beatdeadhorse:

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:53 PM

If you'd like to test L4.01 before it's released publicly, see the stickied post that I've left at the top of the 622 forum. :)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#8 OFFLINE   cosmo_kramer

cosmo_kramer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:29 PM

How can this kind of testing be done so close to the alleged partial spooling on "Thursday"??

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

2 + 2 = ?

Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

Apparently L4.01 has been put through it's paces by E*'s internal and external testers ... this is just one "last chance" to take a look at what regular customers will see before unleashing it on the unsuspecting world.

Remember, most 622 owners don't know L4.01 is coming ... wouldn't it be better to give the limited release to people who Dish know will test and report back instead of just the oldest range of serial numbers?

Good to see this Mark .. hope your PM box has room for all the responses!
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:41 PM

I've got room for about 6500 more PMs before it fills up... :)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#12 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:12 PM

How can this kind of testing be done so close to the alleged partial spooling on "Thursday"??

It's nothing more than "more eyes" looking for problems though there sure isn't a lot of time to look for things, let alone report them. Worst case, it will give Dish the opportunity to stop the planned release (again) vs sending it when there's big problems. They SURE won't have time to fix anything !

#13 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

Cool... It actually is a smart thing to do.. Get a pulse on it with people that have a good understanding of the box. Should provide more info for a go no go decision. Kudos Mark for taking lead here and hopefully a few users will step forward. ;)
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#14 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:50 PM

Good number so far. Keep them coming in!
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#15 OFFLINE   nneptune

nneptune

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:21 PM

I was depressed when I switched to Directv for 9 months (Why after 9 years with DISH would I do this?)
They were releasing "updates" almost weekly for their ridiculous DVR.
Every one of them caused more bugs than the one before.
A lot of people threatened to leave and come over to E*.
It wasn't even a question for me.
I paid their stupid fee, and have been living happily with the 622 (and oh yeah...my family).
I'd rather they wait and put out a great update than to deal with what I did with my short time with Directv.

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,613 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

This is a good thing... in addition (or perhaps substituting for) random receivers for the first push, to actually push the code to folks who will be expecting it and run through some of the new features... I've participated in betas at companies where I worked before, but not for a company other than that... but this would be a good thing so I'm going to see about getting in on it too.

Have to go look at the sticky thread now.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#17 OFFLINE   phantommadman

phantommadman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

Hi mark, Just to let you know i emailed you my info.
Thanks in advance:D

#18 OFFLINE   Ddavis

Ddavis

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:06 PM

I've got room for about 6500 more PMs before it fills up... :)

Don't forget to check your e-mail too.....Please :D
DDavis - Dish Since 11/1997
PVR 522 & PVR 510 Owned
PVR 510 & Two Dish VIP722k Leased
Dish 1000 with DP Twin LNB and DP Dual LNB - Dish 500 with DP Dual LNB
Two DPP-44's

#19 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:08 PM

I see my emails and PM's at the same time. :)

Keep them coming! I suspect there will be a bunch more coming in later as the Central, Mountain and Pacific time zone users get home so that they can check their receiver numbers.

This is going to be a significantly large test group. :D
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#20 ONLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

Just sent an email myselft after joining dbstalk. I've been hanging out over at satguys, but figured I might as well start hanging out here as well. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...