Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comcast can't compare to Dish

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:17 PM

Comcast simply is a rip off, I get every premium, locals, 2 dvrs, the top package from dish, my bill is barely over $100.00. Comcast starts at $110.00, for there top package with prem's and that doesnt include dvr's and fees!!!!!!! If I was to keep my current service and go to Comcast, it would be over $120.00.Frankly,for all the whining about on demand, weather on the 8's, and any other small things Comcast has that Dish doesnt, Comcast can keep it, plus there poor picture quality and service. Maybee it is just my area that Comcast serves, but there are no deals with Comcast cable and anyone that thinks it's better then Dish, you keep bending over and grabbing your ankles, I love my Dish.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   shundiman

shundiman

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

for all the whining about on demand, weather on the 8's, and any other small things Comcast has that Dish doesnt,.

I wouldn't call Comcast's on demand a small thing. Dish has a long way to even come close to what Comcast offers in that arena. I laugh evertime I see the words "on demand" on dish. It's the most rediculous thing I've ever seen.

#3 OFFLINE   kdwebsol

kdwebsol

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:22 PM

I wouldn't call Comcast's on demand a small thing. Dish has a long way to even come close to what Comcast offers in that arena. I laugh evertime I see the words "on demand" on dish. It's the most rediculous thing I've ever seen.

I have a DVR and do not need on demand. I have my own with shows I want to watch.

#4 OFFLINE   rictorg

rictorg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

Since switching from Comcast, I have come to appreciate how much value they provide. Don't misunderstand me, I am not having buyer's remorse. I simply recognize that when it comes to picture quality, HD locals, and on demand, Comcast cleans up on Dish.

Dish takes the lead on price, quantity of HD content, and a (now) leased DVR option that is much, much better then the old moto box that caused my switch in the first place.

I've come to the conclusion that Comcast is among the better Cable Providers, and from a product offerings standpoint, offers a value similar to D* and E*. Choosing between the three has a lot more to do with how you prioritize the differences between the three offerings.

#5 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:39 PM

The cost of anything Comcast is always outrageous. I'm happy I made the switch from Comcast to E* last month, but right now we are having a thunderstorm and I have been without E* for at least the last 2 hours. I keep Comcast $12 basic as a backup and thank god I do. I guess they have 1 thing going for them.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

After a while one realizes that "Comcastic" is not a good thing. :)

Welcome to DBS! :welcome_s
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

Since switching from Comcast, I have come to appreciate how much value they provide. Don't misunderstand me, I am not having buyer's remorse. I simply recognize that when it comes to picture quality, HD locals, and on demand, Comcast cleans up on Dish.

Dish takes the lead on price, quantity of HD content, and a (now) leased DVR option that is much, much better then the old moto box that caused my switch in the first place.

I've come to the conclusion that Comcast is among the better Cable Providers, and from a product offerings standpoint, offers a value similar to D* and E*. Choosing between the three has a lot more to do with how you prioritize the differences between the three offerings.

A better pic then dish? Are you nuts? Lines, distortion, picture lag, no way are they better then Dish, Dish has true digital pic. Maybee it is my local Comcast here in central PA, but the Comcast cable around here sux somthing terrible with picture.

#8 OFFLINE   brownclown

brownclown

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

Please don't tell me that you switched for the voom channels!!:lol:
I have dish and time warner all digital side by side for the time being, anyway. Time Warners pic quality on hd and sd is better. Add the various' on demand channels vs. the extra "fluff" HD channels, I'd take cable in my area, in fact since no one but directv is stepping up to the plate on the baseball package and cable having my rsn's in hi def, it looks like cable all summer long!!
But some people just can't get enough of food hd, watching some fat lady baking a cake in hd.
As far a viewing habits, I have not once had a thought of flipping over to dish for a channel not offered via cable in the month that I have had digital cable. Add espn2 and nfl network and I'm good.

#9 OFFLINE   brownclown

brownclown

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

I have a DVR and do not need on demand. I have my own with shows I want to watch.

Me too, but when I come home and my 1 and 3 year old daughter's want to watch something, sprout on demand has saved me a few headaches. I really do not want to fill up the dvr's with kids programming even though I sometimes do.

#10 OFFLINE   Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

i have previously had adelphia (now comcast) for cable service. i switched to e* simply becuz i was fed up with the price and treatment. i have been a subscriber to e* now for over 10yrs now & have been pretty happy; but i DID my research. so much whining on here about the sports channels. i am SO happy that i am not into those-- i love my movies, so i chose e*. if you are into sports, then d* is certainly the way for you. d* makes exclusive contracts for those. it does seem unfair, but they made those deals...

for internet, i now have to get comcast. now i dont know about you.. but the service completely sux! they have so many outages. there is practically no customer service. they came to my area and just sent me a letter saying we are your new service (and that was it!) i wasnt asked what i wanted...they didnt give us a choice. my uploads are now stable.....but they are soooooooo slow (less than 1/2 of what adelphia was). my downloads are crazy! right now i am downloading between 717-2120! and i am paying for 6k. its like they really dont know whats going on. service is just pretty bad. i am constantly having technicians treat the problem with my line. it just works sparingly. with e* , i can say that the service has been pretty good and very few times does it go out. i live in south florida and we have a hurricane season for about 4 mos. (which means lots of rain). with e* it just works! the picture may go out a little....but it comes right back. it doesnt miss a beat. my new 622 has been great. i'm still learning .. the hd content on e* is great... i even find myself watching sports simply cuz of the quality of the pictures!! if i could find another internet service..i would definitely leave. comcastic-- its NOT!

#11 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:19 AM

When I switched from Dish to Adelphia, now Comcast, I got 28 more premium movie
channels, two free HD DVRs, better HD PQ and much more for $25/m less than I was
paying Dish. Since Comcast took over, it's gotten better with nine new HD channels,
including all six network affiliates in HD.

I also get TWC's "Locals on the 8s" and two other 24/7 full-time local weather feeds.

Sat can't do that.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#12 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:49 AM

When I switched from Dish to Adelphia, now Comcast, I got 28 more premium movie
channels, two free HD DVRs, better HD PQ and much more for $25/m less than I was
paying Dish. Since Comcast took over, it's gotten better with nine new HD channels,
including all six network affiliates in HD.

I also get TWC's "Locals on the 8s" and two other 24/7 full-time local weather feeds.

Sat can't do that.

Nick, come on, how can you possibly get 28 MORE movie chanels? Thats simply not true, list them all if you would please, HBO< SHOWTIME<MAX<STARZ<ENCORE MOVIE PLEX..........how many more can you get then these?

#13 OFFLINE   dlt

dlt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:51 AM

Nick, come on, how can you possibly get 28 MORE movie chanels? Thats simply not true, list them all if you would please, HBO< SHOWTIME<MAX<STARZ<ENCORE MOVIE PLEX..........how many more can you get then these?

Oh,btw, if you are so much telling the truth, please post (minus your name etc) your comcast bill for us to see, I know what Com-trash charges, and you arent saving $25.00 a month unless you are doing one of there promos, then they nail you in the end deals.

#14 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:49 AM

Don't worry about it dlt. Did you ever see Career Opportunities? Nick is dbstalk's version of the town liar. Of course, that does mean that Nick scores Jennifer Connelly at the end of the day, so he isn't all that bad. :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   PghGuy

PghGuy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:57 AM

maybe its a pennsylvania thing but I have to agree that dish is much better from a quality reception stand point over comcast (adelphia). I still have comcast for internet and basic cable but the quality of the sd channels on dish are crystal clear for me. When you start comparing price, it becomes a "no brainer". I am currently paying less now (Dish Gold + comcast internet & basic cable) than I did before with only comcast on a similar package with HD...savings is about $50 a month with rebates, $30 after that.

#16 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

No specials, other than standard premium package discounts.

Read my original analysis and rationale for leaving Dish back in 2005.

Every thing I have said is the truth with no exaggeration. I have no reason or need
to prove anything to you. If you have difficulty processing information that challenges
your own pre-conceived notions, then that is your limitation and not my problem.

Plus, now almost a year and a half later, E* and D* still don't offer my HD locals.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#17 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

Pricing appears to be different across the country. In my area, Comcast is significantly more then Dish. However, 50 miles to the south it's cheaper. Go figure?

#18 OFFLINE   Scarpad

Scarpad

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

Pricing appears to be different across the country. In my area, Comcast is significantly more then Dish. However, 50 miles to the south it's cheaper. Go figure?

I have Comcast in Western Mass I subscribe to the lowest digital tier , digital classic so that I can have a HD DVR and my Locals in HD, with that I get National Geo HD and MTV HD. And NESN HD for the Red Sox, Bruins My channels are analog, the digital tier I got disgusted with , channels between 200-300, they were so overly compressed they looked awful so I dropped to Digital Classic, with the HD-DVD and One other HD box I pay about $77 a month. I get no Premiums, that price I think is high for what I get.

#19 OFFLINE   gintzj

gintzj

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

NO one can compare Comcast and Dish

DISH wins Hands done

#20 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:58 PM

i have previously had adelphia (now comcast) for cable service. i switched to e* simply becuz i was fed up with the price and treatment. i have been a subscriber to e* now for over 10yrs now & have been pretty happy; but i DID my research. so much whining on here about the sports channels. i am SO happy that i am not into those-- i love my movies, so i chose e*. if you are into sports, then d* is certainly the way for you. d* makes exclusive contracts for those. it does seem unfair, but they made those deals...

for internet, i now have to get comcast. now i dont know about you.. but the service completely sux! they have so many outages. there is practically no customer service. they came to my area and just sent me a letter saying we are your new service (and that was it!) i wasnt asked what i wanted...they didnt give us a choice. my uploads are now stable.....but they are soooooooo slow (less than 1/2 of what adelphia was). my downloads are crazy! right now i am downloading between 717-2120! and i am paying for 6k. its like they really dont know whats going on. service is just pretty bad. i am constantly having technicians treat the problem with my line. it just works sparingly. with e* , i can say that the service has been pretty good and very few times does it go out. i live in south florida and we have a hurricane season for about 4 mos. (which means lots of rain). with e* it just works! the picture may go out a little....but it comes right back. it doesnt miss a beat. my new 622 has been great. i'm still learning .. the hd content on e* is great... i even find myself watching sports simply cuz of the quality of the pictures!! if i could find another internet service..i would definitely leave. comcastic-- its NOT!

Comcast or Dish? Hmmm...let me think.... Comcast is a joke. The service is spotty. Outages occur in clear weather, the mid level package really doesn't contain anything interesting and for some reason my address doesn't show up in their computers. Which means I never got a bill from them. I'd have to call them every month or so and give them my telephone # to pull up my account. Dish on the other hand is reliable, reasonably priced and pretty much, no muss, no fuss. Online bill pay is convenient, also. :icon_cool

Protected By... spam firewall...And...