Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L4.01 Software Experiences / Bugs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
545 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   teachsac

teachsac

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:11 PM

KCRA3 on my 622 w/4.01 cant watch it
it was better on L3.66
L3.66 had 17 OTA ch w/L4.01 I have 28 OTA ch
Ron

So you're having constant breakups now, also? At least with 3.66 we only had skipping during playback of DVR'd programs. You could always rewind. I tried calling Larry to see what's up, but only got his voicemail. I also have an e-mail into someone in software and the 622 hardware team. Probably won't hear back from either until Monday.

Scott

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

BUG...

Unable to view ANY HD recordings that were made before or after the 401 update. Any new scheduled recording on any HD channel fails. It shows in my recordings, but when you select it, it opens and ends asap.

Deleted all scheduled recordings
It will record "on demand" just fine

They are just going to ship me a new 622.

Worked fine for 13 months.......
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#223 OFFLINE   skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

I'm seeing a flicker when the view button is pressed just before the info comes on screen and then another flicker to black when the info goes way. Not a real big problem, and one I have seen before.. Going to do a receiver reset as soon as the wife relinquishes control over to me. Seems like I remember this going away last time after a reset.. We shall see.. Haven't seen any improvements to my local OTA yet. Still have dropouts and pixelation.. But no worse than it was before L4.01.. So it didn't fix that.. More than likely multipath not associated with receiver since the meter is pegged at 100 on the channels giving me problems.. Still looking but so far haven't found any real bugs to report.. So far I like it..
Mark

Local Dealers always make good friends

2 Hopper 2000's - 2 Joey 1.0's - Dish 1000.4 WA
-------------------------------------
DirecTV HR20-700 - HR24-200 - DTV SWMLine LNB
-------------------------------------
Wildblue SM2000 and dish

#224 OFFLINE   Scott Spillers

Scott Spillers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:16 PM

I'd like to see the HD logo on the OTA's too, but i guess they're not necessarily HD... (well then neither is A&E, ESPN2, etc for that matter).

The HD logo doesnt mean that the channel is carrying HD programming. It really only tells us that they are transmitting a digital 16x9 picture (often a SD 4x3 picture with black bars). The same is true for all of the OTA channels that we receive on the ViP622's ATSC tuner. Where the HD logo for OTA channels would be most helpful is in the DVR recordings list, so we would know which recordings are taking up the most disk space.

#225 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

Got the 4.01 last night. Only been playin with it since I got home from work tonight. So far, no major bugs to note.

-All my OTA channels jumped in signal. A couple quite a bit. 5-8% up. Hopefully they aren't too strong now. Watching NCAA BB right now and I'm getting some video stutters.(this could just be CBS as the game broadcasts haven't been the greatest)

-5.1 through HDMI works great now. HDMI test show several audio formats available now.

#226 OFFLINE   plainsman

plainsman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:20 PM

I commented on this yesterday. The download changed the Channel Display option on my receiver from "HD Priority" to the new "HD and SD" option. That shows duplicates in the low channel numbers for SD and HD channels. I reset the option back to "HD Priority" and the duplicate SD channels are removed from the low channel numbers.

Chuck -- I've looked 3 times -- how did you reset this "channel display" option?

[the button presses would help - either I'm blind or dumb. can't hear real well either ... ]

#227 OFFLINE   BJK

BJK

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

I see one new feature not mentioned so far. Listings now all carry a copyright statement for Tribune Media.

As far as closed captionioning, it seems to work somewhat better on many channels but not all. Noticably wnbc-hd(NY) ota is working correctly but over the satellite is losing characters and overtyping without erasing the previous CC (Today show this morning, where I recorded both for about 15 minutes).

I had one serious crash after I stopped testing features and settling in to watch a show recorded last night. The screen suddenly went blank and audio went to a shrill tone. No response from the remote control or any front panel controls except when I finally held the power button to do a power button reboot.

I put up with that bug for 1 year on a daily basis. I hope it is not back. The only fix for me was to replace my early release hardware with a newer version of the 622. That shrill screach will wake the dead.

BJK
1 ViP622
1 VIP612
Mitsubishi 62" WD-62628 DLP 1080P
Onkyo TX-NR905 AV Receiver
ORB Audio 7.1 channel setup
Dish 1000.2
Dish Network since '98

#228 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:28 PM

Chuck -- I've looked 3 times -- how did you reset this "channel display" option?

[the button presses would help - either I'm blind or dumb. can't hear real well either ... ]

Menu-6-9 Chann Display button. Then HD Priority.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#229 OFFLINE   BJK

BJK

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

Not sure what you mean by this; works fine for me. Dual buffering and pausing also works for 2 HD channels.

I'll check it again tonight. Absolutely could not get anything but an SD/HD side by side.
It would always default to some SD channel when I tried to do HD/HD. Obviously I have a problem as there are too many others reporting that it works.:confused:

BJK

Edit: Nothing like having an uninterupted time set aside to help solve problems. Seems I forgot to set both tuners to a HD channel. Haven't used the feature much because of the short comings with HD. THAT WILL CHANGE!
1 ViP622
1 VIP612
Mitsubishi 62" WD-62628 DLP 1080P
Onkyo TX-NR905 AV Receiver
ORB Audio 7.1 channel setup
Dish 1000.2
Dish Network since '98

#230 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

Can you spot the true beta tester?

Driving the company car a Program Manager was taking his Hardware Engineer and Software Engineer to a big expo to show off and hawk their latest product.

As they topped a steep hill the vehicle seemed to lose braking ability and the car kept gaining speed until it almost crashed at a sharp curve. The Program Manager finally managed to nudge the car against the guardrail and safely stop it at the bottom of the hill.

All were shaken by the experience but exited the car safely.

The Program Manager said “ OK, when we get back to the plant I will assign a Tiger Team to study this problem and recommend a solution”.

The Hardware Engineer said “ Wait, I have my tool pouch with me and I’ll crawl under the car and fix the problem and we’ll be on our way in no time”.

The Software Engineer said “ Well, let’s not be too hasty with our decisions. I think we should push it back to the top of the hill and see if it does it again”.

After two solid days of testing (I'm retired) I can find no problems with L401 and will report this to DISH....

#231 OFFLINE   odbrv

odbrv

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

I have a Dish HD34-310 HDTV. For SD: the side by side PIP are 15"w x 12" h. The left picture loses 2" of picture on the left and the right picture loses 2" of picture on the right. For HD: the side by side PIP has a 15"w x 91/2 " h left side and a 141/2" w x 91/2" h right side. When showing 2 HD channels with side bars, the left side loses the left side bar and the right side loses the right side bar. The result is two pictures with 2 side by side bars in the middle. When you have a full HD picture on each side, the Left side loses 21/4" of picture on the left and the right side loses 2 1/4" on the right. The large PIP is 16 1/2" w x 9" h and shows more picture than I see on a full screen which is 29" w x 161/2 " h. On the full screen I lose about 3/4' of what is shown on the large PIP on the left, right and bottom. The little PIP is 11 1/4" w x 6 1/8" h. It also shows more picture than a full screen.
Is anyone else losing picture in side by side PIP? If not, is there a way to resize the PIP to get all the picture. I know the VIP622 does not allow one to reset the vertical nor horizontal for a full screen. The 921 had that capability.
DBS user since 1996: 2 622s with 2 SimpleTech 500GB and 1 WD 1.5 TB EHDs , 1st 622 has 1-PROSCAN LCD 240hz 42" via HDMI (using a Pioneer VSX 516 home theater) and a Toshiba 36" SD via tv2; 2nd 622 has 1-Vizio 3D HDTV 42" via HDMI (with a Panasonic Blu-Ray 3d via HDMI) and 3 SD TVs connected to tv2.

#232 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:47 PM

Going by memory.. It is under the Locals configuration. Odd place for it but it is right where you select what type of OTA mapping you want to make. GOing by memory.. so hopefully I have it right.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#233 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

The HD logo doesnt mean that the channel is carrying HD programming. It really only tells us that they are transmitting a digital 16x9 picture (often a SD 4x3 picture with black bars). The same is true for all of the OTA channels that we receive on the ViP622's ATSC tuner. Where the HD logo for OTA channels would be most helpful is in the DVR recordings list, so we would know which recordings are taking up the most disk space.

It is now showing in the DVR recordings list, just not the recordings that you've done through the OTA HD stations.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#234 OFFLINE   rwjga

rwjga

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:28 PM

BUG...

Unable to view ANY HD recordings that were made before or after the 401 update. Any new scheduled recording on any HD channel fails. It shows in my recordings, but when you select it, it opens and ends asap.

Deleted all scheduled recordings
It will record "on demand" just fine

They are just going to ship me a new 622.

Worked fine for 13 months.......

I have this problem, but only with recordings made from the Charlotte HD Locals. I get the same "skip to the end" when I pause a Charlotte HD Local. I have talked with others who have the same problem. I doubt the new 622 solves your problem.

#235 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

So far so good on my end. Just a note, increased signal strength on OTA channels is a relative comparison. More is generally better than less, but especially when you've got a lot of hills and buildings to deal with, ability to handle multipath can be more important.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#236 OFFLINE   sbturner

sbturner

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

Everything works except I lost all my OTA locals. It's as if the OTA tuner has been turned off inside the receiver. Tech help was no help, it's being returned. If anyone else has had this problem and fixed it help. I love everything else about the update. I have checked switch numerous times and deleted locals, rescanned rebooted, you name it. I don't know of anything else to do.

#237 OFFLINE   jcord51

jcord51

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:45 PM

Everything works except I lost all my OTA locals. It's as if the OTA tuner has been turned off inside the receiver. Tech help was no help, it's being returned. If anyone else has had this problem and fixed it help. I love everything else about the update. I have checked switch numerous times and deleted locals, rescanned rebooted, you name it. I don't know of anything else to do.

When I got my second 622, I too was not able to get my OTA locals to appear. Solution...faulty antenna cable plug. The collar of the plug actually dislodged from the wire. I know that this shouldn't happen, but it did. Good luck.

#238 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:46 PM

I lost all my OTA locals after watching NCAA on CBS for quite awhile. Luckily, a reboot brought them all back. The receiver had been on about 4 1/2 hours when the OTA's were lost.

#239 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:48 PM

When I got my second 622, I too was not able to get my OTA locals to appear. Solution...faulty antenna cable plug. The collar of the plug actually dislodged from the wire. I know that this shouldn't happen, but it did. Good luck.

Was the faulty part a connector on the coax or the 622?

#240 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:34 PM

I'll check it again tonight. Absolutely could not get anything but an SD/HD side by side.
It would always default to some SD channel when I tried to do HD/HD. Obviously I have a problem as there are too many others reporting that it works.:confused:

BJK

I was able to get 2 HD side by side in PIP. No issue here.

Now, if someone can tell me how to get my OTA locals back I would be a happy camper. Scanning for channels comes up with zero. I plugged the plug, test switch and still nada.

-Funk

Protected By... spam firewall...And...