Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD channel remapping and VOD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:37 AM

Could someone give me a description of what channel remapping and VOD mean? I notice this is in the 4.01 updates. Thanks for the help.
Smackman
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:11 AM

Channel remapping is the HD channels being placed "beside" their SD counterparts. VOD = Video on Demand (the movies and more and TV entertainment stuff).

#3 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:39 AM

Nothing changed regarding VOD (at least not publically) other than any existing VOD entries get deleted with the L4.01 update.

To expand on lakebum's re-mapping comment, as you should know, Dish's HD channels are up in the 94xx channel range. Believe it or not, some people apparently can't find them. They watch ESPN in standard definition thinking it's in HD because a) they have an HDTV, B) they have and HD box, and c) ESPN says "Broadcast in HD where available". Same thing applies to the movie channel HDs, TNT, and so on.

#4 OFFLINE   smackman

smackman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:35 AM

Nothing changed regarding VOD (at least not publically) other than any existing VOD entries get deleted with the L4.01 update.

To expand on lakebum's re-mapping comment, as you should know, Dish's HD channels are up in the 94xx channel range. Believe it or not, some people apparently can't find them. They watch ESPN in standard definition thinking it's in HD because a) they have an HDTV, B) they have and HD box, and c) ESPN says "Broadcast in HD where available". Same thing applies to the movie channel HDs, TNT, and so on.

I most definitley know that HD is in the 94xx chanel range. Cool Beans.:) Thank You.
Smackman THE KING OF SMACK: Dish Customer since 2000
VIP 722

#5 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:10 PM

Sometimes I wonder if this "feature" is nothing more than dumbing down... :(

#6 OFFLINE   Amon37

Amon37

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:17 PM

Is the mapdown automatically on? I know where the HD channels are and prefer them away from the SD channels

#7 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

Is the mapdown automatically on? I know where the HD channels are and prefer them away from the SD channels

I forgot to check to see if it automatically came on, and can't check at the moment, regardless you can always still use the old channel numbers you are used to, and even if it is on, you can quickly turn if off in the local channels setup.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#8 OFFLINE   Amon37

Amon37

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:14 PM

Well I'll play around with it when I actually get the update and see which I like.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,341 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:26 PM

ViP-211 users have had this for a few weeks ... first impression may be shock, but IMHO it turns to awe when one becomes accustomed to the change.

Just like the HD markings all over the place and the little copyright line. The first reaction may be "huhhh?" but it becomes part of the background when you have used the receiver with those features for a while.

And, as noted, it can be turned off. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:30 PM

I just posted a message in the L4.01 experience thread about the map down. I had HD priority before L4.01 was installed. It changed me to the new option of "HD and SD" so I was seeing both types of local channels in the Guide listed together in the lower channel numbers. Changed it back to "HD Priority" and now only the HD Locals show up, along with the OTA.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

spam firewall