Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

L4.01 and PIP question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

On the new 4.01 release with sise by side PIP will you now be able to get PIP while using dual mode (No OTA) or do you still need to go into single mode?
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? So. Utah

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:05 PM

PIP only works in single mode ... sorry.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:30 PM

Given the use case for dual mode, I don't you will see PIP while in dual mode.. From and End user point of view I see just too many usability issues there. Of course that is my opinion and not one from E*, but imagine popping up you pip and watching it change since the guy in the other room is changing a channel.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   dclaryjr

dclaryjr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

Given the use case for dual mode, I don't you will see PIP while in dual mode.. From and End user point of view I see just too many usability issues there. Of course that is my opinion and not one from E*, but imagine popping up you pip and watching it change since the guy in the other room is changing a channel.

But it would be nice to do a split screen between TV1 and OTA and leave TV2 to the other room
Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX
http://davidclary.com
HR24-200
HR21-100
H-23 x 2
JVC 56FN70 1080P LCOS
37" 1080P Sharp Aquos)
Two old TVs to be replaced with HD by end of year
Overpriced AV with psuedo-surround

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:32 PM

But it would be nice to do a split screen between TV1 and OTA and leave TV2 to the other room

That would be nice.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:55 PM

Yeah I would agree .. would be nice.. but as I try and imagine it I just see it it too confusing to the end user and ofcourse not every one has OTA. Personally I see it as a trade off between single and dual mode and don't see it changing. One can hope.. I just see there being a lot of limitations. Ofcourse I could be wrong and the next version might have it, but I just don't see it.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:04 PM

I have a list of features I'd like to see that are doable ... :)
Blackout icons in the EPG the way timer icons and purchased PPVs display is on that list. (Shading blacked out programs dark in the EPG would be nice as an alternative, but I believe the icon would be easier to do.)

Everyone can list the big things ... complete EPG, external storage, dual mode PIP for TV1 (between OTA and sat or DVR playback and OTA/sat). I wonder if the laundry list of 'little tweaks' will get looked at (unless they are bugs)?

#8 OFFLINE   Hall

Hall

Icon

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

How 'bout if the receiver is in dual mode and TV2 is in "standby" that it allow PIP on TV1 ?? If TV2 is in use, when you try it gives you a pop-up explaining why.

They do market the 622 as a 2-room receiver, don't they ?? Why put a lot of emphasis on features or functions that only work contrary to it's intended design ??

#9 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:25 PM

How 'bout if the receiver is in dual mode and TV2 is in "standby" that it allow PIP on TV1 ?? If TV2 is in use, when you try it gives you a pop-up explaining why.

They do market the 622 as a 2-room receiver, don't they ?? Why put a lot of emphasis on features or functions that only work contrary to it's intended design ??

I like that idea. Or at least put a button on remote #1 that is used to switch from single mode to dual mode. Why have the button on the receiver and not the remote?
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? So. Utah

#10 OFFLINE   diospyros

diospyros

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:14 PM

That would be nice.

Just a reminder: OTA is a tuner(input) and TV1 and TV2 are outputs.

#11 OFFLINE   diospyros

diospyros

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:17 PM

Just a reminder: OTA is a tuner(input) and TV1 and TV2 are outputs.

D'oh. TV1 and TV2 are names of tuners too. Well, the point is there are not three outputs.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...