Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fix found to pull in Mexican OTA HD!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   toy4two

toy4two

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:42 PM

FINALLY. Directv couldn't do it, but a user on another board found out how to pull in our missing Tijuana HD stations in San Diego:

http://hdtv.forsandi...28253#POST28253

Just plug in the Phoenix ZIP code as your secondary market, they have the same channel numebrs as our Tijuana stations, so another 3 HD stations for San Diego viewers. We can watch our beloved soccer in HD and different Olympic and other sports they dont' show in the US. We are still missing one more HD station out of Tijuana but at least its a start while Directv fixes the OTA tuner in the HR20 to pull in all the stations in the area instead of forcing you into US only stations :nono:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,083 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:25 AM

but at least its a start while Directv fixes the OTA tuner in the HR20 to pull in all the stations in the area instead of forcing you into US only stations :nono:

Um, what makes you think DirecTV is trying to "fix" anything about not getting Mexican TV?

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#3 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:14 AM

Um, what makes you think DirecTV is trying to "fix" anything about not getting Mexican TV?

If this is true it wouldn't be just Mexican TV. It would prevent you from receiving any TV station that D* does not assign to your zip code.

The only way to get OTA here is to put an antenna on a 1500 foot hill behind my house. Then I would be able to get the stations assigned to my market, and also several other stations that are not local to my zip. My TV would scan and find them--evidently the HR20 won't, and therefore will not pick them up. This could be a big deal for lots of people who are between several markets.

Probably they are not going to fix that, but it is a minor flaw in the design. The HR20 should scan for all stations just as a TV does, IMHO.

Right now I don't have an antenna on top of that hill so no OTA.:(

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#4 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:05 AM

It's a very big deal for me. I live near the edge of 3 DMAs, but can only receive 2 of them with the crappy HR20. And the tuners in the HR20-700 are finickey about pulling those stations in, compared to previous D* OTA tuners.

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:14 AM

:thats: Mexican HD! :lol:

Isn't that an oxymoron? !rolling :rolling: :lol: :D :grin:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

The only way to get OTA here is to put an antenna on a 1500 foot hill behind my house. Right now I don't have an antenna on top of that hill so no OTA.:(

Hummm 1,500+ feet of coax. So does anybody want to try a guess the cable loss?
Now "If" you ever did get an antenna up there, you could start your own Community Antenna TeleVision, which is good because you would need that much equipment to get a signal & then could sell it to your neighbors, to pay for it. :)
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:22 AM

Hummm 1,500+ feet of coax. So does anybody want to try a guess the cable loss?
Now "If" you ever did get an antenna up there, you could start your own Community Antenna TeleVision, which is good because you would need that much equipment to get a signal & then could sell it to your neighbors, to pay for it. :)

When we had the hilltop antenna, it was 450-ohm ladderline, with a tube-type "booster" (amplifier) on top of the hill. Every time a tree limb contacted the bare line, the booster blew a fuse in the power supply behind the TV and I had to "walk the line." And if the PS was powered up when someone touched the ladderline, watch out!

I have considered going that route again because it sure would be neat to see all those "local" OTA digital stations from about four states!

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,979 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:09 AM

Lucha Libre in HD!

#9 OFFLINE   bobinyuma

bobinyuma

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:58 AM

I recieve three Mexican HD stations (on the HR250 of course), and pq exeeds our local stations. Of course it is not much value if you dont habla. They show discovery channel and hdnet alot in Spanish, not too mention soccer and some very racy shows. Our local stations complained alot about international licenses and power issues these stations transmit, but they do look very good. Watching has improved my Spanish greatly, although my wife does not appreciate some of the content too much:lol:

#10 OFFLINE   toy4two

toy4two

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

Mexico has US HD beat around here. No sub channels to steal bandwith, more power for the transmitters than would be allowed by the FCC in the US. HD soccer, where the US stations only showed a few World Cup games in HD, we got to watch all the games. I also pick up one of their science channels, its like Discovery HD only better quality since its OTA, the close ups of the bugs on the leaves looks like DSHD looked a few years ago before Directv had to start broadcasting in HD Lite.

If you are going to put down another countries programming at least know what you are talking about :rolleyes:

All my old Directv boxes picked up these stations fine, so yes it is broken that the current box limits you to certain zip codes. They need to offer a mode that can pickup the guides OTA or show a "Guide Not Available" message like the old boxes.

#11 OFFLINE   brittonx

brittonx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:20 PM

One of the features my old Toshiba DST3000 had which I badly miss in the HR20 was the ability to tune to ANY digital station regardless of whether or not you had guide data.

For example, if you knew of a station which was not present in the guide but you were in range of the signal, you just had to punch in their true UHF or VHF channel "Frequency Assignment" plus the "-1" and it would find the channel and then switch to the "Published" channel number.

For example, in Rochester, NY:
WHAM-DT's published channel number is 13-1
The Frequency Assignment is actually UHF channel 59
So, on the DST3000 you could punch in 59-1 and it would pick up the channel and add 13-1 to your available channels.

This was a great feature which didn't even rely on a scan.
Note: the DST3000 could do a scan too. The only problem with a scan is when you are in between two DMAs and using an antenna rotor, the scan tends to not pick up half of the channels you want.
1-HR20-700 w/1TB Seagate HDD, 1-H21-200, 2-H20-100, 1-H20-600
Slimline Dish via WB68 multiswitch.
Primary display: 52" Sony Bravia 1080p to HR20-700 via HDMI
Second display: 42" Emerson Plasma to H21-200 via HDMI
Media Server Windows 7 Ultimate
HR20 & H21 wired to Netgear Gigabit Switch via Cat 5e cables.

#12 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:33 PM

I thought this posting's subject was a joke when I first read it.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:35 PM

I thought this posting's subject was a joke when I first read it.

From your location it is....
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

I do have a serious question to pose, however, sort of on topic.

How does the HR20 'find' OTA stations through the guide for our local DMAs? In other words, my HR20 knows there is a station calling itself 43-1 in my local area and it broadcasts on UHF channel 47.

Does the info D* and/or Tribune provides tell the HR20 to look for a station with the 43-1 PSIP broadcasting digitally on channel 47? In other words, since the HR20 doesn't allow us to search for channels we can receive OTA but simply tells us what we should get, how exactly does this work with the HR20 for stations in our local DMAs?

A bit curious..
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

I do have a serious question to pose, however, sort of on topic.

How does the HR20 'find' OTA stations through the guide for our local DMAs? In other words, my HR20 knows there is a station calling itself 43-1 in my local area and it broadcasts on UHF channel 47.

Does the info D* and/or Tribune provides tell the HR20 to look for a station with the 43-1 PSIP broadcasting digitally on channel 47? In other words, since the HR20 doesn't allow us to search for channels we can receive OTA but simply tells us what we should get, how exactly does this work with the HR20 for stations in our local DMAs?

A bit curious..

I think what you're asking: D* database= channel 43.1 KFWQ, RF channel 57. So the HR-20 tunes to channel 57, uses the guide info as 43.1 KFWQ programing.....
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   RCinFLA

RCinFLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:21 PM

I believe the OTA guide is sent over the satellite data feed. If you recall the notice that it may take up to 24 hours to fill out the OTA guide. D* only allows reception on what they have in their database.

#17 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,278 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:19 AM

"Mexican HD stations (on the HR250 of course), and pq exeeds our local stations'

"Mexico has US HD beat around here. No sub channels to steal bandwith, more power for the transmitters than would be allowed by the FCC in the US...

If you are going to put down another countries programming at least know what you are talking about."

Initially, the thread title struck me as humorous. I stand corrected.

I'm happy to learn that Mexican HD is catching on in the southwest.
HD programming from any country is a good thing. Now you have me
wondering if my Spanish-speaking son in ABQ will be able to get it.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:40 AM

... D* only allows reception on what they have in their database.

Which really sucks if you can receive stations from 3 DMAs, like people in my area can.

Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   brittonx

brittonx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:55 PM

Which really sucks if you can receive stations from 3 DMAs, like people in my area can.

This is why I am requesting the ability to tune to any OTA channel regardless if it is in the guide or not.
See: http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=83311
1-HR20-700 w/1TB Seagate HDD, 1-H21-200, 2-H20-100, 1-H20-600
Slimline Dish via WB68 multiswitch.
Primary display: 52" Sony Bravia 1080p to HR20-700 via HDMI
Second display: 42" Emerson Plasma to H21-200 via HDMI
Media Server Windows 7 Ultimate
HR20 & H21 wired to Netgear Gigabit Switch via Cat 5e cables.

#20 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:19 PM

I think what you're asking: D* database= channel 43.1 KFWQ, RF channel 57. So the HR-20 tunes to channel 57, uses the guide info as 43.1 KFWQ programing.....

So the D* database sent to the IRD tells it that you should receive a TV station broadcasting on channel 47 , which is mapped to 43-1 and it displays it on the HR20 as 43-1. If we were able to search for OTA (instead of the unit telling us what we 'should' be able to get), how would we set up the guide? That may be tricky.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...