Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Just a warning

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   johnz16

johnz16

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:06 AM

Just want to let everyone know if you are running the zinwell multiswitch with the Sonora signal locker to be careful. I woke up this morning with no signal on any satellites. I went to my garage where all the equipment is located to investigate and was punched in the face with the smell of burning electronics and a haze of smoke hanging out at the ceiling of my garage. The signal locker had burned. Nothing had made it out of the metal case but was enough to make me worried about my house burning down.

Just a warning to check your equipment

Also, if anyone could recommend a good powered multiswitch with 8 outputs it would be much appreciated. :)

John

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:27 AM

Here's a WB616 indoor/outdoor powered multiswitch, but it may be more than you need: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16882145075

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

It would certainly be worth knowing more after you have had a chance to investigate your problem. For example, is there a defective cable or connector somewhere in the system? Is your LNB assembly defective? I'm just trying to think of some of the things that could cause an excessive power draw on the Sonora, although it should have some type of safeguard against that happening.

I just did a quick Google search on that product (using various terms including the specific model number) and found no hits that referenced failures or fire, suggesting this is not a common occurence.

However your experience is certainly worth noting. If I had one, I know I would be checking it's installation.

Carl

#4 OFFLINE   hambonewd

hambonewd

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

definitely report this to the manufacturer. if this is a problem it may need to be recalled. before someones house burns down would be ideal.

#5 OFFLINE   johnz16

johnz16

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

I cracked open the sonora and to my surprise it was fine. The power supply is the thing that burnt I opened that up and there was definate burnt parts. I am going to report to them that the power supply failed. I have a feeling that it was a random manufacturing defect but it will be reported none the less.

Thanks for the replies
John

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

John,

Thanks for the warning. Hope you get service back soon.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#7 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

I cracked open the sonora and to my surprise it was fine. The power supply is the thing that burnt I opened that up and there was definate burnt parts. I am going to report to them that the power supply failed. I have a feeling that it was a random manufacturing defect but it will be reported none the less.

Thanks for the replies
John

There's a signficant chance that the power supply ate the switch when it was going bad, so be sure you have a new switch available when you replace that wall wart.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

Protected By... spam firewall...And...