Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How would you like to be able to use Closed Captioning?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you like to be able to use Closed Captioning? Check all that apply. (482 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you like to be able to use Closed Captioning? Check all that apply.

1. Toggle CC on/off to understand a foreign accent (80 votes [16.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.60%

2. Toggle CC on/off to understand dialog with loud background (bar scene, etc.) (88 votes [18.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.26%

3. Toggle CC on/off to understand technical terms, jargon, or slang (59 votes [12.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.24%

4. Toggle CC on/off when someone takes a phone call (55 votes [11.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.41%

5. Toggle CC on for one person, toggle CC off for another (36 votes [7.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.47%

6. Toggle CC on/off if people are over (party, etc.) (51 votes [10.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.58%

7. Toggle CC on/Off for other reasons (52 votes [10.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.79%

8. Always have Closed Captioning turned off - never use it (44 votes [9.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.13%

9. Always have Closed Captioning turned on - always use it (17 votes [3.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.53%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:11 AM

We have been talking about how to Toggle Closed Captioning On/Off. Let's back up a step. Why would you want to be able to use Closed Captioning?

Right now it takes 23 keystrokes to turn CC On/Off. If you know all of the tricks, you can do it in only 16 keystrokes.

If you never use CC or always use CC, that complexity is not much of an issue. Call tech support once and they will walk you through it.

The problem is if you want to be able to toggle Closed Captioning On/Off. An occasional user may not remember the 23 steps. It is tedious if all you want is to better understand dialog in a bar scene or a couple of sentences.

So how would you like to be able to use Closed Captioning?

- Craig

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:40 AM

You got the wording backwards on the last two options. I voted never use it, for the record

#3 OFFLINE   brittonx

brittonx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:48 PM

Craig,

Thanks for putting up a poll to look at this other important dimension to CC
1-HR20-700 w/1TB Seagate HDD, 1-H21-200, 2-H20-100, 1-H20-600
Slimline Dish via WB68 multiswitch.
Primary display: 52" Sony Bravia 1080p to HR20-700 via HDMI
Second display: 42" Emerson Plasma to H21-200 via HDMI
Media Server Windows 7 Ultimate
HR20 & H21 wired to Netgear Gigabit Switch via Cat 5e cables.

#4 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

You got the wording backwards on the last two options. I voted never use it, for the record

Sorry about that. I PM'ed the mods asking if they can fix it.

- Craig

#5 OFFLINE   Malibu13

Malibu13

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

Sorry about that. I PM'ed the mods asking if they can fix it.

- Craig

Should read correctly now. :)

#6 OFFLINE   bcowan12

bcowan12

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

I seldom leave it on for more than a few seconds, and its just to figure out a word or two that I missed. First I try replaying it a couple of time with the skip back 6 seconds button to see if I can make out the words by ear, and then go to CC. After that, I turn it off again.

It really has to be a one (preferaby) or two keypress operation for this type of use to work. And no "hold the button down for 3 seconds" deal -- that crap has made slow motion replay an exercise in frustration. As far as slow motion and skip to are concerned, I long for the days of TiVo. TiVo designers actually gave some thought to how people would really use their product.

Bruce

#7 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:02 PM

Noone in my household is hearing impaired, although it is necessary to use CC when my mother is visiting, and it's just nice to have for the times mute is needed.

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#8 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

I am just curious why there isn't a question " I am hearing impaired and require it"? Or is that assumed with the last question?

#9 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

I voted for the top 4, especially those "what the hell did he say" moments. I am not hard of hearing but there are some show and movies that the dialog is low. If you turn up the volume to hear it you blast yourself when music or SFX happen. For years I thought Emperor Palpatine was saying "century" moon when he was saying "sanctuary"
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,107 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

I am just curious why there isn't a question " I am hearing impaired and require it"? Or is that assumed with the last question?

I wonder if it is a stereotype that all hearing impaired households just turn on Closed Captioning and leave it on.

Would some might want the ability to quickly click CC "OFF" if someone leaves the room and quickly "ON" later when the return?

We are not hearing impaired but would like to be able to quickly click CC on to better understand a few words or a scene and then turn them right back off.

I wonder if there are others who would like the same capability.

- Craig

#11 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:29 PM

I wonder if it is a stereotype that all hearing impaired households just turn on Closed Captioning and leave it on.

Would some might want the ability to quickly click CC "OFF" if someone leaves the room and quickly "ON" later when the return?

We are not hearing impaired but would like to be able to quickly click CC on to better understand a few words or a scene and then turn them right back off.

- Craig

I understand that, and we are all friends here. Just struck me funny that original intension was not listed as a choice.:)

#12 OFFLINE   macEarl

macEarl

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

Under other - I like to watch late at night, wife's asleep - CC means that I can watch Military channel without regard for waking her. When the cannons come on, I make the text bigger so I can read over the loud noises.

#13 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:48 PM

I said "Toggle CC on/off if people are over (party, etc.)" because I have it on always unless no one deaf is around and someone hearing is over and finds it distracting.
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#14 OFFLINE   ChrisMinCT

ChrisMinCT

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

- Craig

Not at all. The wife is hearing impaired. She needs CC much of the time when watching TV. The kids can't stand having the CC on. Drives them crazy. So they want to turn it off. A lot of times my wife forgets to turn off CC before turning off the TV. Then the kids yell to have one of us come in and turn it off when they flip on the tube, because its too complicated to do it on their own. They've never had this problem. We have always had a TV that had CC on the remote, and/or a TV that has the option to engage CC when mute is pressed. So its always only ever been a button press for them.
(1) HR20-700, (2) HR23-700+AM21 Native/Original=On * Toshiba 57HM167 (HR20-HDMI, Cat5) * Olevia 427V (HR23-HDMI, 802.11N) * Sharp Aquos LC32LE700UN (HR23-HDMI, Cat5) * AT9 (5) LNBs

#15 OFFLINE   MichaelP

MichaelP

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:50 PM

I'm another one of those folks that sometimes turns on CC to understand a word or two. Case in point, the Palpatine example above. I also thought he was saying "century" before I bought the DVD and happened to turn CC on once. :-)

After buying a new TV and connecting the DTV HD DVR via HDMI (Geez, is that enough acronyms?!) I realized that the TV CC no longer functioned. I could get it back if I used Component video, but damnit, the picture is soooooo good that I don't want to go to that trouble. It's my own fault, I know. So it would be nice to be able to toggle CC on and off quickly on the DVR.

#16 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:46 AM

I voted for several options along with the 'Always on" which might seem to be a contradiction of use. My GF requires CC so when she is here we always have CC on...however when she has gone to bed or is not here I would like to be able to quickly toggle it on/off for the other reasons that I picked. Sometimes CC kinda ruins the HD Wide Screen experience so when my GF is not here it would be nice to able to quickly and easily toggle it.

#17 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:05 AM

I'm also in the "if I don't need them, I don't want to see them" camp. I find them distracting and, IMHO, they detract from the wide screen picture experience. That being said, following a good story is more important than anything else, and we frequently find the need to to turn on captions to understand missed dialog.

I'm hopeful that whatever new method for simply toggling CC's we ulitimately vote for in the other CC poll, it's not too difficult to program and can be quickly implemented by the HR-20 developers.

/steve

#18 OFFLINE   Capmeister

Capmeister

Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,222 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:09 AM

Slightly off topic, for those who're interested, PBS (in HD!) has this excellent history of the American deaf community:

http://www.pbs.org/w...hroughdeafeyes/

It's especially nice that they have some excellent examples of ASL as the beautiful language it is. Like any language, it's not just a communication tool, but can be an art.

I've been connected to the deaf community for a long time, and even I learned things from this show--so check it out! :)
--Cap

-------------------------
TVSHOWBOARDS.COM

#19 OFFLINE   jaybertx

jaybertx

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:29 AM

This is definitely the case for us. When my hearing impaired son is watching TV with us we turn it on but when he is not we like to turn it off.

#20 OFFLINE   richlife

richlife

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:22 AM

I selected only the options that are why I want CC, but I agree that most of the top 4 are always a potential use.

There are two other reasons I want to toggle CC that are not shown, and which the current painful path thru the menus thwart my use. One similar to the understand accents or see over loud noises, but would resolve one of the infrequent and most frustrating aspects of watching TV or a movie -- trying to go back to figure out what was said due to mumbling, low voices, strange words, etc. I really hate the rewind, listen, rewind, listen, rewind, listen, give up mode of viewing. About the third of the time the "give up" option just leaves the frustration.

The other reason is just a pure curiosity, perhaps novelty of seeing the words. For some reason, I just enjoy this for a while and would do it almost everyday if there was just a simple toggle. It's just the child in me, I can't help it. :D
Rich Beaudry
UNC Tar Heel '69, '75
Woodworker, grandfather, DirecTV 1994
Whole-Home Slimline w/ SWM.
A) HR20-700: NR 4aa; HDMI Audio: HDMI, TOSLINK. Res-1080i; Native- On; eSata-No; Remote-RF (2).
B) HR23-700: NR 4aa; Video&Audio HDMI. Res.-720p; Native-On; Network-No; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
C) H23-600: NR 0440; HDMI. Res.-1080p; Native-On; eSata-No; Remote-IR.
TVs: A) Sony 50" Rear Proj KDS50A2000 & VIZIO 22" LCD M220VA; B) Sony 37" Rear Proj KDF37H1000; C) Toshiba 40" LCD 40FT1U

Protected By... spam firewall...And...