Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whats NOT in 4.01

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:40 AM

Well for starters almost everything anyone every asked for.

•No native pass through
•No USB external hard drive support
•No active LAN port
•NO RSN HDs
•No Dolby5.1 through HDMI

Things added no one really cares about:

•DishComm (won't work on probably 95% of setups anyway)
•HD map downs

Things it still has that no one wants:

•VOD
•SD PPV
•That TV/Entertainment VOD

So besides the PIP split screen (which I can already do with my TV) is there actually anything worthwhile in this release? Something that justifies the nearly 5 months work on it?
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:16 PM

Well for starters almost everything anyone every asked for.

•No native pass through
•No USB external hard drive support
•No active LAN port
•NO RSN HDs
•No Dolby5.1 through HDMI

Things added no one really cares about:

•DishComm (won't work on probably 95% of setups anyway)
•HD map downs

Things it still has that no one wants:

•VOD
•SD PPV
•That TV/Entertainment VOD

So besides the PIP split screen (which I can already do with my TV) is there actually anything worthwhile in this release? Something that justifies the nearly 5 months work on it?

Amen to that!

BTW, I didn't even know about no Dolby 5.1 via HDMI. I was on the market for a new receiver to simplify the cable runs (now I have HDMI directly to the TV). Not so much after this piece of information. Thanks!

#3 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:22 PM

Actually 5.1 via the HDMI is in L4.01 and it is working great.

#4 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

I don't have an HDMI A/V receiver to test it but I have seen several others report in the L4.01 Experience thread that DD 5.1 was working over HDMI. Are you confused about this one or did I just think I read it?
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#5 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

And you'll see that lots of people really like the HD mapdown.

#6 OFFLINE   teachsac

teachsac

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:34 PM

Actually 5.1 via the HDMI is in L4.01 and it is working great.

It sure is. I've hooked it up to a Denon 4806 and a Lexicon MC12HD and it works perfectly on both. Unfortunately, my second 622 didn't get 4.01 and when I switched it out, the HDMI didn't work. I'll run the HDMI reset when it does get the upgrade and if that doesn't fix it, I'll swap it out.

HD RSN's would not be in a software release. It is programming.

External Hard Drive support is reported to be coming later (maybe this summer).

Scott

#7 OFFLINE   jacobm69

jacobm69

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:39 PM

Not sure about ebaltz and renpar61 but Dolby 5.1 through HDMI is working great for me since L4.01 update. Also love the mapdown and improved OTA signals

#8 OFFLINE   Marriner

Marriner

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

Really really want external Hard Drive support. Really really DON'T want some E* nickel and dime fee to activate it.
ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Western Digital 1 Tb USB hard drive, Sharp LC-52D64U HD TV, Sony V-333ES, Bose AM-10. ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Sling Adapter, Maxtor OneTouch 3 750 Gb hard drive,Vizio E422VA, Sharp 1-bit SD-HX500 surround.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

•NO RSN HDs
•SD PPV

You do realize that these are not receiver features but are program offerings that are there (or not) regardless of the software version?

There are also bug fixes that won't make "the list" - and you are selling short the HD enhancements that are on L4.01.

One feature specifically requested was the ability to set a DishPASS that would only record HD or SD ... or prefer one over the other when there is a choice (such as an airing on HBO/HBOHD) ... that is in L4.01. I'd say that the acceptance of the mapdown feature is 50-50 and growing toward higher acceptance after the initial shock. Plenty of comments supportive of the HD mapdown in the L4.01 thread.

Plus the 622 has DLB (dual live buffers). Tell every D* HR20 user that you know! :)

The other stuff will come. It was not promised as part of L4.01 and was specifically stated as being later in the year. I don't know why you expected them now.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 01:13 PM

•No native pass through

:nono2: :nono2: :nono2: :nono2: :nono2: :nono2:

It's my only complaint about the 622.

#11 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:06 PM

There are also bug fixes that won't make "the list" - and you are selling short the HD enhancements that are on L4.01.

This speaks volumes. A s/w release, all "5 months worth of work", is mostly about bug fixes, and not about added features. Perks and features is a plus, the goal is a on-going effort to achieve the best possible software for its application.

The HD enhancement integration must have been a monumental task, considering the lack of any form of standardization used throughout the broadcast industry.

I, for one, applaud DISH for their accomplishment in creating 4.01, and release it in a seemingly polished and bug-free version. Collecting all the data, sifting through all the reports, fixing the bugs, and adding features, so all users machines operate normally, in a spider-webbed industry where no one is on the same page...a job well done.

It's amusing how short the memory span can sometimes be.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#12 OFFLINE   marcuscthomas

marcuscthomas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

Don't forget the sticky buffers. For those of us who learned to watch on the TIVO, this is a much appreciated feature.

My HDMI port hasn't worked since the first month that I have had my 622, so I don't know about the 5.1 support.

I would appreciate that external storage support. Although I use my pocketdish right now to offload stuff. But, I can't put anything back onto the 622. I have to watch it straight out of the pocketdish...and no HD in the pocketdish.

#13 OFFLINE   teddy

teddy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:17 PM

:nono2: :nono2: :nono2: :nono2: :nono2: :nono2:

It's my only complaint about the 622.

Amen to the native pass through. I would think this is easy to do! :nono2:
5.1 DD through the HDMI is great! The lack of this feature caused lots of confusion.:hurah: :hurah:

#14 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:10 PM

And you'll see that lots of people really like the HD mapdown.

And some of us want DishComm to work. I won't know if mine works until my second 622 is updated. Currently have a wire run across the floor and down a stair, as I thought it was not going to be long before it was activated (back last July).
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#15 OFFLINE   bruin95

bruin95

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:20 PM

I think you guys scared away the OP. :lol:

#16 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:38 PM

Well lets.. if you go to the Wish List. This release knocks off 3 items off the list.. These would be DD 5.1 through HDMI, Increase Timers, and DishComm. Also if you go through the list.. PIP side by Side is mentioned a few times and so is Sticky pause..

As for the Map Down, I suggest going through the L4.01 posts. There are a number of people that find it useful. Some don't.. Not ever feature.. everyone will find useful.

Dishcomm useless for 95%.. Well perhaps it does not have a lot of value for the folks here because we tend to use UPSs and Power Conditioners. However, I bet we are in the minority here and if DishComm get roll into other receivers it will have more use.

So... What warrents the time... Well as a number of people have indicated.. There seems to be a lot of bug fixes in it. Lot of usability polishing in it. OTA fixes seems to have addressed some big issues for some areas. Also

Yes I am one of the ones hoping to see Native Pass through and external USB support. THe two biggies on my list but I also see a lot of value in this release, lot a hard work, and I like a number of the features I got. Being a Software Engineer myself, I see the effort.

The features and bugs I have found fixed so far.

1) PIP Side by Side.
2) DishComm ( I can't use it, but I see value for others)
3) Priority seems to be taken into account with multiple timers of the same show. This is useful for creating SD and Dish HD local back up Timers when you have an OTA conflict.
4) HD logo stuff. Find it really handy and adds to the usefullness.
5) HDMI Test. Useful if your HDMI port goes out.
6) Pause Jump to live
7) Dish Pass HD/SD Priority. Real useful for Planet Earth on Sunday where the EPG is messed up.
8) Timer Increased. THough I don't run into, I know others do and this really helps.
9) My audio on my Dish HD locals and National Geo HD seemed to have improved greatly. Still need more time, but it was a big step for me.

Would I liked to have seen more.. Sure.. Who wouldn't. Am I disappointed in what was released.. Nope.. Happy for it and looking forward to having more rolled in.

Well that is my 2 cents. One word of caution.. This type of thread in the past can rat hole and turn ugly quickly. I have kept it here so people can voice their opinions on the quantity of features and fixes in this release given the time frame in a constructive way. If it because a rock tossing thread it will get tossed into the general forums.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:46 PM

This speaks volumes. A s/w release, all "5 months worth of work", is mostly about bug fixes, and not about added features.

To be fair, if they would have had another 30 days before Thanksgiving last year this we would not have been waiting five months. L3.65 was stable enough that it gave E* a chance to do L4.01 right without the pressure to release at the worst possible time (holiday season).

Meanwhile development on all those other toys for "future releases" could quietly continue. The time will come for those updates. Patience is the key.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

Plus the 622 has DLB (dual live buffers). Tell every D* HR20 user that you know! :)

Amen to that! Perhaps I will jump over to the HR20 forum and rub salt into the wound. :D

Ron, can you elaborate on #3?

Can I get an explanation on "Native Pass Through", please.

-Funk

#19 OFFLINE   Marriner

Marriner

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:40 PM

.... The time will come for those updates. Patience is the key.

I am still waiting for Name Based recording on my 510 :lol:
ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Western Digital 1 Tb USB hard drive, Sharp LC-52D64U HD TV, Sony V-333ES, Bose AM-10. ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Sling Adapter, Maxtor OneTouch 3 750 Gb hard drive,Vizio E422VA, Sharp 1-bit SD-HX500 surround.

#20 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:47 PM

Amen to that! Perhaps I will jump over to the HR20 forum and rub salt into the wound. :D

Ron, can you elaborate on #3?

Can I get an explanation on "Native Pass Through", please.

-Funk

Sure.. Has been mentioned a few times and looks to me like it has been fixed.

Use case.

I have American Idol that fires ever during the week. I want it to use my OTA timer when possible and use the Dish HD timer when something of higher priority takes up the timer.

Solution.
Create Two timers for American Idol. One for OTA with a higher priority and the other with DishHD with one priority lower. THis way, any OTA timer with a higher priority than AI will use the OTA timer and the AI Dish HD will be used. If there is no OTA conflict the AI OTA TImer gets used. Clear as mud?

I will let someone else explain Native Pass-through. Do a search on the forums. It is talked a lot about here.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

Protected By... spam firewall...And...