Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whats NOT in 4.01

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

Actually... Looks like I might be mistaken on this one. The other night It looked like it was doing what I expected but I just tried it again and it appears not to have the behavior I would have expected. Have to take that one off the list.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#22 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

Ron, add to the bug fixes. The scan OTA screen used to cause a re-boot when exited. That seems to be fixed.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#23 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:44 PM

Ron, add to the bug fixes. The scan OTA screen used to cause a re-boot when exited. That seems to be fixed.

Mine did not reboot when I scanned the OTA channels with 3.66. I did a scan with 4.01 and it rebooted. I don't consider that a biggie because how often does one do a scan. Maybe it was just an anomaly. My receiver has rebooted itself maybe two or three times in the six months I've had it. All in all I'm pretty happy with 4.01. I haven't been through the entire list of tests yet but it's looking pretty good.

#24 OFFLINE   lakebum431

lakebum431

Icon

• Registered
  • 615 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

And some of us want DishComm to work. I won't know if mine works until my second 622 is updated. Currently have a wire run across the floor and down a stair, as I thought it was not going to be long before it was activated (back last July).

DishComm is working for me!

#25 OFFLINE   Aridon

Aridon

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:52 AM

Just wish I could get the update :(

#26 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:37 AM

The features and bugs I have found fixed so far.

1) PIP Side by Side.
2) DishComm ( I can't use it, but I see value for others)
3) Priority seems to be taken into account with multiple timers of the same show. This is useful for creating SD and Dish HD local back up Timers when you have an OTA conflict.
4) HD logo stuff. Find it really handy and adds to the usefullness.
5) HDMI Test. Useful if your HDMI port goes out.
6) Pause Jump to live
7) Dish Pass HD/SD Priority. Real useful for Planet Earth on Sunday where the EPG is messed up.
8) Timer Increased. THough I don't run into, I know others do and this really helps.
9) My audio on my Dish HD locals and National Geo HD seemed to have improved greatly. Still need more time, but it was a big step for me.

Ron,

What is #6, pause jump to live and how does it work? Also one new feature I found that I have not seen mentioned is using the position button to toggle between full and split screen while in the split screen mode. If you're in split screen, push the position button and the active split becomes full. Push the position button again and return to the original split. I think that is a very useful feature, especially for sporting events.
One thing that was not fixed was the CC display bug. I really think this has something to do with the "foreground opacity" setting as it does not work. I actually took the time to attach a couple of video clips highlighting this problem to my bug report response I sent to Dish Beta Bugs. Maybe they will take a look at it.
EAGLES

#27 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:52 AM

So I hear the DD 5.1 HDMI is working with the new software! Yeah baby! I can go shopping for my new receiver :D :D :D

#28 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:33 AM

Ron,

What is #6, pause jump to live and how does it work? Also one new feature I found that I have not seen mentioned is using the position button to toggle between full and split screen while in the split screen mode. If you're in split screen, push the position button and the active split becomes full. Push the position button again and return to the original split. I think that is a very useful feature, especially for sporting events.
One thing that was not fixed was the CC display bug. I really think this has something to do with the "foreground opacity" setting as it does not work. I actually took the time to attach a couple of video clips highlighting this problem to my bug report response I sent to Dish Beta Bugs. Maybe they will take a look at it.

Maybe I am getting version confused.. There was bug where sometimes when did a pause and then unpause some time later you would jump to Live TV not the position you were. This only happend with Live TV viewing. I have not seen with this version and don't recall it being fixed in 3.65, but maybe my memory recall is not accurate. ;)

As for CC? I know you use it Eagles. Is it better? Same? or worse?
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#29 OFFLINE   Eagles

Eagles

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 773 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

As for CC? I know you use it Eagles. Is it better? Same? or worse?

It's basically the same, which means it's OK for the most part. The bug I refer to has to do with how you set your CC to be displayed using the various options in the CC menu, most notably the "opacity" settings. When you set the background to transparent it creates problems with the CC lettering. It becomes broken up as if it doesn't know weather to display itself in the solid, translucent or transparent mode. The "foreground opacity" setting is not working at all. Changes made in the menu have no affect on the lettering. This leads me to believe that this may be part of the problem. I've had my 622 since June 2006. It has always been like this. These options worked great on my 921. If you want I could send you a couple of video clips to show you exactly what I'm referring to. Email me and I'll reply with the clips attached.
EAGLES

#30 OFFLINE   cloudtamer

cloudtamer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:04 PM

:soapbox:
I am really disipointed in E*'s Release of L4.01. It was mostly hype on top of hype. I was hoping to do interactive guides through the internet w/ this patch, Satilight and Cable companies need to get their act together to get this working!!! They have this capablity on TIVO, Microsoft Media Center. The only problem is that the tech is not quite up there yet to allow recording of HD though the HDMI or Componet cabling to get the full HD experience. Tivo Comes close, but it only works with HD through Cable. If my area had cable I might have dropped money for TivoHD rather then E*HD. I would have kept the VIP211 if my media center could handle the HDMI input. I believe that becuase there was no Major enhancements (other then graphical, a few things nobody really wanted, and Bug Fixes) this release should have been coded out as L3.70 :whatdidid

Only 2 good things came from the L4.01 in my mind.
1) Better HDMI support. -> No more godzilla naration when watching TV. (You know sound before Lip movement) I had this alot w/ my sony tv before the upgrade forcing me to reboot either the box or the TV.

2) The HD mapping (Showing channels and recorded Contenet w/ HD Symbol)

#31 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:36 PM

You know what I wish had been implemented in this release? Some sort of software change that would make the 622's internal fan run full-time on a slow speed. Anything to help the overheating issue. I suppose the fan might be hard-wired to the board and not on software at all.

#32 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,537 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:58 PM

I am really disipointed in E*'s Release of L4.01. It was mostly hype on top of hype. I was hoping to do interactive guides through the internet w/ this patch

Hard to blame Dish for your own presumptions, isn't it? I don't recall Dish (including the Tech chat) announcing anything to do with DishOnline as being part of this release.

I do see a lot of folks reading the rumors in various forums, and then creating their own expectations. That is hardly something to blame on Dish.

Frankly, I think they have done a good job here with this release as it appears to have fixed several known bugs and introduced some new features as well.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#33 OFFLINE   liferules

liferules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

Create Two timers for American Idol. One for OTA with a higher priority and the other with DishHD with one priority lower. THis way, any OTA timer with a higher priority than AI will use the OTA timer and the AI Dish HD will be used. If there is no OTA conflict the AI OTA TImer gets used.

Ron, I have tried that exact scenario in reverse. I don't get the best OTA reception, so I create duplicates of AI, CSI, etc... using the HD Dish as 1st priority and OTA as second. Despite my prioritizing, the 622 chooses the OTA as 1st priority still. Weekly, I have to go through my timers and "skip" the OTA timers to allow the Dish HD sat timers to record. It gets old...

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?

#34 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:32 PM

Hard to blame Dish for your own presumptions, isn't it? I don't recall Dish (including the Tech chat) announcing anything to do with DishOnline as being part of this release.

I do see a lot of folks reading the rumors in various forums, and then creating their own expectations. That is hardly something to blame on Dish.

Frankly, I think they have done a good job here with this release as it appears to have fixed several known bugs and introduced some new features as well.

Actually.. DishOnline is not what this guy is ranting about. He is ranting about the ability to do timer managment over the web if I am reading the rant correctly. Something I personally think has a bit of wow factor to it, but in practically I personally don't think I would use it a lot. It could see where it could be handy on that rare time when I forgot to set a timer, but for me personally I would rank this feature pretty low. Native Resolution and external USB support are the two I rank high.

#35 OFFLINE   Stutz342

Stutz342

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:25 PM

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Unfortunately, the priority settings do not seem to be used for this like you would think. It seems to go in "natural" order, so whick ever timer is created first is usually the one that wins, but you can't really trust that.

You could try deleting both timers, then creating them in the order of preference, and you might find it gets it right a bit more often.

I just wish the timers were actually processed in priority order. That would make this work as we would want.

#36 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,537 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:11 PM

Actually.. DishOnline is not what this guy is ranting about. He is ranting about the ability to do timer managment over the web if I am reading the rant correctly.

I could be mistaken... but I thought on the last Tech Chat (not Charlie Chat) when they mentioned DishOnline coming "soon" there was mention of the ability do do this as part of that feature as well.

I could be imagining... but I swear I heard that. I also remember hearing, as noted in my other reply, that neither Dishonline nor that feature were coming with this update.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:18 PM

They did mention the concept of programming the 622 over the internet. The certainly did not promise or suggest that this would happen any time soon.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#38 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:50 PM

What I really want is anamorphic output on the TV2 for dual mode. I have 3 16x9 TVs now and a fourth one coming probably within the year. I know I am a little ahead of the curve here, but I can't be the only one out there with a 622 and more than one 16x9 TV.

And no I cannot run the unit in the single mode, I need two independent units.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#39 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:57 PM

I could be mistaken... but I thought on the last Tech Chat (not Charlie Chat) when they mentioned DishOnline coming "soon" there was mention of the ability do do this as part of that feature as well.

I could be imagining... but I swear I heard that. I also remember hearing, as noted in my other reply, that neither Dishonline nor that feature were coming with this update.

Remote capability has been mentioned. I think it was mentioned in the last Tech Chat, but I would consider them mutually exclusive. If I recall, I could be remembering wrong, they were mentioned at different times.

Either way.. Neither was was ever indicated to be in this release.

#40 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:27 AM

What I really want is anamorphic output on the TV2 for dual mode.

I'll vote for that. Put it back on the SD output of the 211 as well. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

spam firewall