Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 Hard Drive Went Belly Up

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lewgar

lewgar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:06 PM

Been hearing a scratching sound like the HD was searching for information there were some bad tracks or sectors. Been hearing this over the past 5 days, got a lot worse today. Then I called to see if they will replace. They had me do a pull the plug for 30 seconds and after that 2 hours later and still at step 1 of 2 after the reboot.

Tried a reformat after doing an RBR and it will not respond to that either. Tried with tech support on the phone just to make sure I was doing it right and nothing, held down arrow and record button for 45 seconds a few attempts and nothing. Sitting on Step 1 of 2 for the last 1 hour again since the attempts to reformat.

What else should I try to get this thing to boot up? They are sending me out a new one via FedEx for Tuesday, hopefully it will arrive on Tuesday.
D*TV Equipment:
  • Slimline Dish
  • HR20-100B (0x146) (Native OFF | Format 1080i Stretch | Dolby Digital ON | Networking not connected | OTA: No)
  • Hughes HDVR2 DTivo
TV: Sony 60" KDS-R60XBR1 connected to HR20 via HDMI Cable
Audio: Sony connected via optical cable to HR20
Remote: Philips Pronto Pro 7000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jhillestad

jhillestad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

I thought I read somewhere here that all you need to do is put a new or used hard drive in it and it will work like new. The base firmware unlike tivo is not stored on the hard drive but on flash or something similar so it is possible to put a blank drive in and start over. At least thats what I thought I read here..... maybe I mis understood but I always thought that was better than the tivo method of having a special drive with the firmware on it so if it failed your dead in the water at least here you can get back by just swapping it out.... of course this would be an out of warranty kind of thing to do but hey at least it can be done ....

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,849 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 March 2007 - 11:40 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=66201

#4 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 04:39 AM

Been hearing a scratching sound like the HD was searching for information there were some bad tracks or sectors. Been hearing this over the past 5 days, got a lot worse today. Then I called to see if they will replace. They had me do a pull the plug for 30 seconds and after that 2 hours later and still at step 1 of 2 after the reboot.

Tried a reformat after doing an RBR and it will not respond to that either. Tried with tech support on the phone just to make sure I was doing it right and nothing, held down arrow and record button for 45 seconds a few attempts and nothing. Sitting on Step 1 of 2 for the last 1 hour again since the attempts to reformat.

What else should I try to get this thing to boot up? They are sending me out a new one via FedEx for Tuesday, hopefully it will arrive on Tuesday.

My HR20 was bad out of the box this past Wednesday. They are sending me a new one via FedEx which will be here Monday. I went into my Directv account, obtained the order number, and e-mailed D* to ask for a FedEx tracking number.

D* e-mailed back within 4 hours and gave me the tracking number. And it shows delivery for Monday before 3:00 pm. So you may want to try the same to make sure of delivery date?

Cheers,
John

Protected By... spam firewall...And...