Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Did L4.01 improve your 622? (Take 2)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

Poll: Did L4.01 improve your 622? (249 member(s) have cast votes)

Did L4.01 improve your 622?

1. My ViP622 is working fine, without issues. (82 votes [32.93%])

Percentage of vote: 32.93%

2. My ViP622 is still expierencing minor/major issues. Any major issue have reasonable work arounds. (32 votes [12.85%])

Percentage of vote: 12.85%

3. My ViP622 is still problem ridden, major issues with no work arounds. (8 votes [3.21%])

Percentage of vote: 3.21%

4. Version L4.01 is working better for me than the previous version. (80 votes [32.13%])

Percentage of vote: 32.13%

5. Version L4.01 is the same as the previous version for me. (22 votes [8.84%])

Percentage of vote: 8.84%

6. Version L4.01 is a step back from the previous version for me (25 votes [10.04%])

Percentage of vote: 10.04%

Vote

#1 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 01:54 PM

I fogot to allow for multiple choice.. So if you already voted, please vote again

We have had L4.01 for a few days so I Figured It is time for the poll. Same poll as before so be sure to pipe in. If you feel you have not had time to fully assess L4.01, please take your time and vote when you feel comfortable with your opinion of L4.01. I know a lot of people have not gotten L4.01, just vote when you have received the update and you have formed an opinion.

This poll actually is two polls in one.

Poll 1 (How is your 622 behaving after getting L4.01?)
Pick one of the First three choices to indicate how your 622 is behaving after you received the update.

Poll 2 (How is your 622 behaving compared to previous version?)
Pick one of the 2nd group of choices to indicate how your 622 is behaving after you received the update.

Couple of Tips:
Be sure to vote in all both polls if applicable. If you vote problem ridden, feel free to indicate why you voted that way (Remember we are in the support forum ). Same goes with why you voted it was a step back.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:54 PM

I had to vote for "minor issues" since I have seen one new issue (reported and posted in the thread) plus a couple of other minor things that I had previously. I have not seen any major issues though, and nothing that I can't work around.

Have to say it works better than previous because it definately fixed one major bug I had seen with the old software and added some new features to play with.

All-in-all its a good thing.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:01 PM

I didn't vote yet because I'm waiting a little while before I leave an opinion. So far, the only major improvement after waiting since September (IMHO) is the side-by-side PIP.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#4 OFFLINE   PeggyD

PeggyD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:27 PM

I haven't noticed any problems with L4.01, so I said it was the same. I didn't vote in the top section because I don't think the issues my 622 is having have anything to do with L4.01 & don't really fit the choices.

I've thought for some time that the hard drive has bad sectors as some recordings won't play. At first it was just one, now it has happened on a few others, mostly short 5-10 minute recordings. I just haven't gotten around to calling to see about getting it replaced. But now it is stuttering in fast forward, all speeds, but playback is fine.

#5 OFFLINE   dahauss

dahauss

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:49 PM

I still have yet to receive 4.01... hmmmm

#6 OFFLINE   tomcrown1

tomcrown1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:53 PM

:grin: darn!!!!

THE L4.01 gave me a better hd picture no sync isuse and a rock solid 622

I HAVE NOTTING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT DARN!!!:mad:
Welcome to Dish the new AT&T

:) life is to to to short so be???

#7 OFFLINE   teachsac

teachsac

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:48 PM

Need a choice for fixed some bugs but created others.

S~

#8 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

Well the question then becomes.. In your eyes... Is L4.01 a step forward or back. If it fixes more than it breaks and depending on the severity of what it fixes and break, you can come to the conclusion if it was a step forward, back or sideways..

Well that is how I see it.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#9 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:01 PM

LEts see my lost locks are now in the 40s each day in clear weather. My satellite strength meter is always defaulting to 105 , which I do not have and I think that is causing the lost locks. I am having recordings cutting off now due to lost sat signal on clear days.

My audio is now significantly lower on my hd mpeg 4 locals than before,requiring me to turn it all the way up to hear it on the a/v receiver. Then of course if I forget and turn it to a sd channel I get a BLARING sound coming from the speakers.

The hd channel map downs are nice , but the don't work with search features if you lock out the higher hd channel number . Which means your guide is now littered with duplicate channels instead of in place of channels.

Dish comm doesn't work, no matter what I do. The hdmi reset is nice for my bedroom tv but I have to reset it just about every day to get it to work. Each day the tv will lose the hdmi port or the receiver loses it when it does its download daily.

I like that it has some new features but the bugs are now effecting my recordings Sometimes it will stop in the middle and say sat signal loss and cut off. My switch checks are crazy when I do them , which I am prompted to do at various times. Sometimes I get a lnb not in the matrix and then their is the lnb is drifting ? IT is not working correctly and before the software update I had none of these problems. But I guess the pip feature is nice .

Somehow I don't understand how this software was worked on for 4 months and it still has major bugs in it.

#10 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:02 AM

Haven't had a chance to run it through paces. The new things are fine, nothing super great (although I like the PIP sticky pause). We'll see on the bugs and other issues. Those tend to appear over time as one starts to record lots of stuff at the same time etc...
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#11 OFFLINE   johnsbin

johnsbin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:13 PM

- Improved EPG
- Improved digital audio on NGCHD
- Improved OTA signal sensitivity
- Sticky Pause (loved this on the 721, didn't have it on the 942)
- Side by Side PIP (POP)
- Scanning for OTA channels doesn't require a reboot
- Accessing Dish Home doesn't cause a lock-up / reboot
- HDMI diagnostic tool

This update has been good for me!
ViP622, Optoma HD70, 90" screen

#12 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

Anyone know why I have not received L4.01 upgrade yet ??????????

#13 OFFLINE   tsduke

tsduke

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:06 PM

Anyone know why I have not received L4.01 upgrade yet ??????????

Because E* has not sent it out to all receivers yet. It looks like they are updating the remaining receivers on Thursday.

#14 OFFLINE   teacher1066

teacher1066

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

*I've lost audio with all HD using the HDMI connection.
*The optical connection feeds audio which is about 15db below the SD signal
making for some very disturbing increases while switching.
*Programs previously recorded are played back with a strange (not Dolby Digital) matrix.
The Tech Support line didn't have a clue about what was going on. I called twice, got disconnected once and the second tech simply wanted to switch out the receiver. An email brought no response. Give me the last software revision. Wouldn't you think that they would have a large country-wide Beta group testing these revisions BEFORE they downloaded them to the populus.

#15 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:50 PM

We were the beta testers . NOw they are going to unleash it on the unknowing public. I can just hear my dad now: " What the is wrong with this new hd receiver you got me last week? It is all screwed up."

Today I went to my bedroom 622 and it had lost the lock on the sat signal . I ran the check switch and it said it was not locked on anything but 119 and xs on the other switches 110/129/61.5. I ran it again and it said the right thing. I then did a system info check and it went crazy again . I finally removed all cables from the sat ports and cleared the matrix out and re ran it with all NEW cables, seperator and even the diplexor. Ran it again it was saying everything was fine with all systems go on 110/119/129/61.5 . I checked several times today and it looks like it fixed that problem, for now.

I had to do the same thing on my living room dvr when I got the 401 update. IT is still having problems with the satellites not showing what it is supposed to when you check a transponder. IT defaults to 105 , which I do not have. I am still having lost locks in the 40s range on both tuners on the living room dvr and 25 or more on both tuners in the bedroom.

THis is a definate bug that will cause havoc with people that don't know how to do these fixes on switch matrixs. They will be doing rmas on their receivers left and right to get new ones because of these kind of problems.

#16 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:33 PM

So far, I'm a pretty happy camper. No major issue, like new features, and most audio problems seem to be fixed.

John
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

#17 OFFLINE   JSIsabella

JSIsabella

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 09:28 AM

This release fixed my OTA breakup problem with my local NBC station.

I like the new features.

And I am not having any of the problems being mentioned with loss of signal, etc.

I would say this release very much improved my 622.

Would these other problems be related to differences in the actual hardware revisions of the 622?

#18 OFFLINE   Will Munshower

Will Munshower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

I only had to deal with L3.66 for two weeks. However, in that short time, I was pretty unhappy about the stability of the software. I had frequent locks, especially since I was doing a lot of experimenting with my OTA channels (EPG data issues). Now, with the addition of the added features, plus the fixes put into place, I am very pleased with this release. It also solved my number one problem (OTA EPG data on one network).

I say L4.01 is definitely a step up...Will
Neo took the red pill and so should you! Welcome to the real world.
Support HD DVD

My Gear:
Sony KDS-R60XBR2 SXRD Display
Onkyo TX-SR605
Echostar VIP 622 connected via HDMI and component
Toshiba HD-A35 HD DVD Player
D-Link DSM-520 Media Server
2.25 Terabyte Homemade NAS
Polk RT55i Fronts
Polk CSi5 Center Channel
Polk f/x 300i Surrounds
Velodyne CT-150 Subwoofer
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote to control it all

#19 OFFLINE   Kricket

Kricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

i wish there was a "fixed some problems, but added others" selection

what i like:
- there seems to be less pixelation on hd channels
- there seem to be fewer audio dropouts

what i dont like (thats new):
- ive had 2 lockups in the past hour (switching between the sat fox feed and the ota fox feed)
- it seems that sometimes when i change a channel - it takes a long while - i notice it most when im changing to 120 (the history channel) - i just counted and it took 12 FULL seconds to change the channel - thats 12 seconds of pure black and no audio whatsoever - this seems to happen pretty frequently....

im assuming that once 402 rolls out - it should take care of these issues (as 366 didnt have them) - but maybe im wrong about that...

EDIT - i just remembered - yesterday i got the "problem - check switch" (something like that) error and had to do a reset - and today after one of the lock-ups, it couldn't find the programming information, so i had to reset it again

EDIT v. 2 - i also have the problem a few others noted about skipping ahead and back - a couple of times ive paused live tv while i went to the bathroom, answered a call, made a sandwich, etc - and when i came back i attempted to skip past the commercials but the little booger shot straight back to live tv - i was able to rewind back to the intended spot, however, its an annoyance that two "ff" clicks occasionally mean "live tv"
-------------
the blog...

need help with your wireless phone? check out THE source for everything mobile - howardforums.com

#20 OFFLINE   salemtubes

salemtubes

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:49 AM

JSIsabella, were your breakup problems on WFMJ, channel 21, Youngstown? Channel 21 has been breaking up for me since I upgraded to the 622 in January. I'm less than 20 miles from their transmitter. I have not received L4.01, yet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...