Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My RANT!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SMosher

SMosher

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

Who is running the eng dept?

Lets start with my 5xx boxes.
The 368 rev of code is complete and uber ass.

Hit pause... Go do what you got to do... return ... hit pause ... pos reboots. All the time.

Tested ff, rw, delete recordings, delete timers, so on so on so on. Same crap, both 5xx boxes here suck with 368.

Thump thump thump.. Wife screaming "WHY DOES THIS POS DO THIS!?".

Call TS ... the Philippines ... Great! Now we have somebody I cant understand or is reading from a queue card. Get no where!! What a mess.

Ok so rant on I must. MLB EI? No chance or word from anyone I call or read from for E*. Ok so time for me to hire D* so I can get this MLB EI package. So I make a phone call to cut from Americas EVERYTHING package. Guess who I get? The Philippines again. Oh joy, they didn't understand I wanted to kill off the premium channels and just ride with the Americas top 250+ HD package. WOOO BOY! That was not fun. Told them after a long discussion (I think it was) on the cost to just leave it alone and "I'll call back somehow and get a tech in the US, do not mess with programming at all".

They were telling me I was only saving 25 bucks a month by killing off the premium chans. BULLSH*T.

Ok so I got all this crap going on while my 622 running 4.01 is losing OTA channels and stuttering all over the place. Wait wait ... here comes the wife again... "THE POS BOX SHUT DOWN AGAIN!". So I call E*, and get all over the que hoping that I get somebody in America that can help me out here. BINGO! She couldn’t help me at all with the current software issue with the 5xx boxes also refused to swap the device with a 625, but did kill off the premium package and got my Americas 100 with HD. That’s fine for the cost since I hooked up D*.

D* Was nice enough to run out here with 5 tuners and a huge AU9 slimline dish for only $350.00 installed and 6 months of free everything. As far as hardware ... OMFG It has its issues also. We're stuck with modern day crap.

While I worked with SBC/AT&T for 4 years on the lightspeed project I learned its almost a wonder as one even gets a dial tone when picking up the phone.

Side note ...

I'm the first to stand behind E* all the way till the end. But good grief what a hassle to deal with as of late. Sorry E*, you have moved over to my SH*TLIST.

When can we get Bell or StarChoice here in America? :P

Pardon me... I'm pist.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

Yea. Its a problem when we cannot re-boot units we own to prior OS version that is more stable.

Lately, I've been wondering if unstable software is a way to push people out of 5xx and into 622s? or 625?

Bob
Bob, a novice in electronics.

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

Yea. Its a problem when we cannot re-boot units we own to prior OS version that is more stable.

Lately, I've been wondering if unstable software is a way to push people out of 5xx and into 622s? or 625?

Bob

No it is a way to send smart customers to D* who isn't perfect but has better software.:)

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,246 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

The receivers don't have the space to store multiple copies of the firmware. The only way to "go back" would be to download it again off of the satellite. There is no guarantee that the software is backwards compatible. In some cases there may be no going back.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   SMosher

SMosher

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:17 PM

No it is a way to send smart customers to D* who isn't perfect but has better software.:)

I beg to differ. The HR20 is a heap of crap just the same. I have both units here and its a complete toss up which sucks more.

#6 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:11 PM

In some cases there may be no going back.

So far, there isn't any way to go back to more stable OS versions.

Gotta assume that Dish doesn't think we should be able to revert to prior OS versions that better suite our needs on equipment that we own.

#7 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:09 AM

I beg to differ. The HR20 is a heap of crap just the same. I have both units here and its a complete toss up which sucks more.

And so was D*'s HR10-250, which is why I'm with Dish now. Not only was it junk, I had to pay $1K for it.

Take a look over on the D* side of the forum. Actually, it's pretty funny. For just about every complaint here, you'll find a matching complaint there... dysfunctional software, broken HDMI, lousy programming, overcompression, lousy CS, etc. I give E* the better grade for now, because I really got tired of the D* continuing empty promises of "100's of channels of HD". Plus, my 622 works FAR better than D*'s ever did.

Not sure what conclusions to draw from this; either both companies are crap, or there are a lot of people out there that don't know a DVR from a toaster. :)

My avatar says it all.

#8 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:46 AM

>...
Not sure what conclusions to draw from this; either both companies are crap, or there are a lot of people out there that don't know a DVR from a toaster. :)

Based on some threads seen here, I found this one over in the toaster forum. "I can only make one piece of toast at a time. What is the extra slot on top of my toaster for?":rolleyes:

#9 OFFLINE   robert koerner

robert koerner

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

The extra slot is so that a bread company can install a slice, and toast it, in case you want to pay more for a premade slice of toast.

#10 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

What's a toaster? :P

#11 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

What's a toaster? :P

And when will they enable the USB Port?

#12 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:57 PM

Coming Soon!:P

#13 OFFLINE   jrbdmb

jrbdmb

Icon

• Registered
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:55 AM

Have the begun charging a $4.99/mo. Bagel Fee?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...