Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network video transport services

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cr9c1

cr9c1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:09 PM

Does anyone know of a transport company, or if Dish themselves, will transport the local area channels via satellite for the rural companies that can't offer them because they don't have the ability to get the local channels because they are too far from the broadcast towers?

Any info on pricing? Receivers used, etc?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:45 AM

Try searching for Distant Network Service. Maybe that is what you are trying to question about?

#3 OFFLINE   cr9c1

cr9c1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:00 AM

No, what I meant was this. I'll propose a scenario:

Local cable company wants to offer the local channels but can't get them via antenna because of the distance between the tower and the station.

Dish offers the locals on their satellite. Im looking for someone that can legally transport dish network's satellite signal to a commerical satellite receiver, such as a Scientific Atlanta PowerVu or a Motorola DSR 4400

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:43 AM

So, the local cable company wants to take Dish's local feeds and put them out on their cable plant ?

They should be able to negotiate with the stations and Echostar to do this. As long as the stations agree, this shouldn't be a problem.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   cr9c1

cr9c1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, thats what I'm looking at, but I forgot the name of the company I heard of that can do that, and I believe its Turner Media broadcasting or something.

I was looking to see if anyone knew..

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,722 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:58 AM

It wouldn't be Turner ... E* has commercial services available but rebroadcasting through a public cable system is beyond what they have on the website (unless this is a community cable system - such as an apartment complex or nursing home). A city cable system would have to find the right contact at Echostar and negotiate something special.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

Does anyone know of a transport company, or if Dish themselves, will transport the local area channels via satellite for the rural companies that can't offer them because they don't have the ability to get the local channels because they are too far from the broadcast towers?

Any info on pricing? Receivers used, etc?

I have actually asked Echostar if they would do this. The answer is no. Their satellite license is a DBS license, not a common carrier license. It creates potential legal issues for them.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...