Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I am getting HR20 - Is it stable now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ScottE

ScottE

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:02 PM

Are your HR20's stable now? I know it wasnt earlier on but also read they got some of those bugs handled. Also how is the Local HD's do they pixelate much. I know E* locals in St. Louis Pixelates a lot which is why I am considering switching back to D*.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:20 PM

I've had the HR20 since pretty much the beginning last fall. It has come a long way and I'm really happy with mine. Some people still have issues with some of the features, but the stability problems seem to be mostly solved.

As for HD locals, mine in LA are very stable and rarely pixelate. Others may have different opinions. Maybe there's someone on the boards from St. Louis who can their experience.

#3 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:21 PM

"Stable" is a relative term.

Many will say yes.
Many will say no.

Personally, my definition of "stable" is that ALL receivers are working as designed. This appears to not be the case as some people still report having major problems like failed recordings, black screen recordings, and occasional lockups that require a reboot.

As for "MY" HR20 - it works pretty well.
My issues are minor issues like trickplay performance and flakey RF remote.

When you say "how are the local HD's?" - do you mean OTA locals or Mpeg4 Satellite locals?

Pixilation is typically signal related.
D*'s new 5 lnb dishes are very good at tuning in D*'s mpeg4 locals.
If your talking OTA, then maybe you need to tweak your OTA antenna.
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#4 OFFLINE   ScottE

ScottE

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

I mean MPEG4 not OTA pixelations.

#5 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 11:41 PM

I mean MPEG4 not OTA pixelations.

D*'s 5 lnb dish is great for mpeg4 locals.

I know they call it a 5 lnb dish, and technically it is, but it really only has 3 "doohinkies" on the dish that receive the signal.

The main "doohinkie" receives signals from 99, 101, & 103 satellites.
That main "doohinkie" is aimed right at the center "sweetspot" of the dish.

All you have to do is get strong signal from 101, which is the main satellite, and the 99 & 103 satellites which have the mpeg4 stuff should fall right in line.

It's not like E* and it's 61.5 & 129 birds that are sometimes difficult to get.
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#6 OFFLINE   dhaakenson

dhaakenson

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:11 AM

Are your HR20's stable now? I know it wasnt earlier on but also read they got some of those bugs handled.

Some are reportedly stable and have been for months. Others are reportedly not and continue to be to varying degrees. Mine is still unstable. Its stability varies with each software update. When it works, it's a beautiful thing. When it doesn't, I want to let Dick Cheney use it for skeet shooting.
DirecTV customer 1994-2008. FiOS customer 2008-?

#7 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:42 AM

I wouldn't call it a stable/reliable consumer device yet...not by a long shot. Some of the basic features now work more often than they don't though.

#8 OFFLINE   hr20manray

hr20manray

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:31 AM

Are your HR20's stable now? I know it wasnt earlier on but also read they got some of those bugs handled. Also how is the Local HD's do they pixelate much. I know E* locals in St. Louis Pixelates a lot which is why I am considering switching back to D*.

They are still having problems with the trick play. And they have had them a long time. 5 months in my case. DirecTV is acknowledging this feature problem themselves. There are those who, (not in this thread) in this forum claim they have had zero problems and in the long run I think that hurts DirecTV. Using the same hardware, same software configuration and the same version, yet with those saying they are having no problems are only exacerbating the confusion. Why aren't those with abosolutely no problems sending their receivers in to DirecTV as soon as possible so DirecTV can see a problem-free box and can copy the version, the software-hardware configuration from that box and save us all from these hit or miss upgrades?

#9 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:36 AM

I wouldn't call it a stable/reliable consumer device yet...not by a long shot. Some of the basic features now work more often than they don't though.

I think it is understating the performance level of the HR20 to say only some of the basic features work more often than they don't.

I would say the basic features of recording and playing back shows work the vast majority of the time for the vast majority of users. Will an occasional recording/playback have a problem: sure. I've had two such in 7 months.

I also have been working with various recording devices to know that they all malfunction occasionally. If you are looking for absolute perfection, don't buy anything.

I have Panny E80H hard disk/dvd recorder that I've been using for several years. It errors out burning a DVD about once every 10 days or so. Nothing can be done about it. So, my HR20 has missed 2 in 7 months, while the E80H misses one about every 10 days, and the HR20 is being worked on. I never got a single update on the E80H.

My experience with the HR20 says its doing VERY well with its basic functions. It isn't perfect. If you need OTA-HD recording for channels 2 or 3, don't get an HR20...they don't work...they have a major bug in this area.

If you have to have perfect performance in the HR20 (every recording/playback is "mission critical"), don't get one.....ever. It is unlikely that the HR20 (or any other HD recording device) will ever get there. HD is still an evolving situation and there are lots of problems with it.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#10 OFFLINE   ScottE

ScottE

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:38 AM

Thanks for the honest responses. I figured this box was still having issues after reading all the latest posts :( What is trick play?

#11 OFFLINE   hr20manray

hr20manray

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:43 AM

Forward, fast forward, reverse, fast reverse, etc.

#12 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:45 AM

They are still having problems with the trick play. And they have had them a long time. 5 months in my case. DirecTV is acknowledging this feature problem themselves. There are those who, (not in this thread) in this forum claim they have had zero problems and in the long run I think that hurts DirecTV. Using the same hardware, same software configuration and the same version, yet with those saying they are having no problems are only exacerbating the confusion. Why aren't those with abosolutely no problems sending their receivers in to DirecTV as soon as possible so DirecTV can see a problem-free box and can copy the version, the software-hardware configuration from that box and save us all from these hit or miss upgrades?

Belittling those who are having no problems is no better than accusing those with major problems of not knowing how to use their equipment.

It is a simple fact that many people are having few if any problems. It is a simple fact that many people are having some major issues. The fact that you seem unable to resolve these reports is not the fault of either group.

If you understood anything about how to troubleshoot complex interactions (user selections and operations), you wouldn't be suggesting something as silly as sending in a box....it ain't just the box, in fact it may not be the box at all in a lot of cases ...it is usage patterns and interactions. So spare us your advice...it doesn't make any sense.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#13 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:46 AM

I would call it a stable/reliable consumer device by a long shot.

The features all work for me.

#14 OFFLINE   hr20manray

hr20manray

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:48 AM

Belittling those who are having no problems is no better than accusing those with major problems of not knowing how to use their equipment.

It is a simple fact that many people are having few if any problems. It is a simple fact that many people are having some major issues. The fact that you seem unable to resolve these reports is not the fault of either group.

If you understood anything about how to troubleshoot complex interactions (user selections and operations), you wouldn't be suggesting something as silly as sending in a box....it ain't just the box, in fact it may not be the box at all in a lot of cases ...it is usage patterns and interactions. So spare us your advice...it doesn't make any sense.

I took care not to single anyone out personally. Unlike the direction you have chosen.

#15 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:52 AM

I took care not to single anyone out personally. Unlike the direction you have chosen.

When you proffer very bad advice as an individual, just how are we to respond? You are the one that "singly" advised returning boxes to D* that are not problematic. It was a bad idea, and it was yours. That's not a "personal" issue, it's a simple mistake. We've all made them, might as well own up to it and move on.:)

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#16 OFFLINE   hr20manray

hr20manray

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:53 AM

When you proffer very bad advice as an individual, just how are we to respond? You are the one that "singly" advised returning boxes to D* that are not problematic. It was a bad idea, and it was yours. That's not a "personal" issue, it's a simple mistake. We've all made them, might as well own up to it and move on.:)

The realization of sarcasm sometimes is grounded in intelligence.

#17 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:54 AM

The realization of sarcasm sometimes is grounded in intelligence.

Often referred to as the last refuge of scoundrels, no?

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#18 OFFLINE   upnorth

upnorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:57 AM

My HR20 has been reliable since I got it in September 06 and My local MPEG-4's the same no problems.
So dont wait enjoy now.
My only issues have been non equipment one's
HR20-700 with MPEG-4 locals
H20
AT-9 dish
46" Samsung DLP

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,778 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:19 AM

November I got my first. Every month it would be replaced as it didn't "do its job".
Almost two months now, both of mine work doing what they should: record, playback, jump forward, backwards, pause, etc....
One user's experience. :)
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   Starrbuck

Starrbuck

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts
  • LocationDFW, TX

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:27 AM

Mine's great. I wish the hard drive was bigger.

*** DirecTV customer since 2004 ***

HR44-700 (2TB) + AM-21 -> Panasonic TC-PST60 Series 60" Plasma

HR24-500 (2TB) -> Samsung 6000 Series 55" LED

C41-700 & C41-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...