Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Angel Lifetime subscription changes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TimL

TimL

Legend

• Registered
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

Browsing around the internet archive, I couldn't find any reference to "all future channels". But there was this:

"Become a Sky Angel subscriber. Simply pay a one-time, lifelong activation fee of just $295.00. That's it! No other hidden costs or monthly subscription bills."

http://web.archive.o....com/page6.html

Good find Michael..

I left SA a few years ago when they dropped BBN and later Gospel Music television. The stations they dropped always appeared to be replaced with less conservative alternatives. I knew I would not agree with all of Sky Angel's channels when I got the service. I definitely disagree with adding the secular channels. They are unneccessary and take away from the Sky Angel Ministry..
Previously known as TimLones..just went back to my old username..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jci-joe

jci-joe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:55 PM

I guess I am confused by some of the comments here about Sky Angel. For one thing, when we all purchased the lifetime subs, there were not secular channels nor promises of adding them. The purpose was to provide Christian programming and that is what we bought. We are still getting Christian programming with no additional charges. I am disappointed about losing Spirit but this was due to Dish not SA.

Finally, I think most of us who purchased this hopefully see this more as a ministry and less of a business. I feel that I got a great buy for a lifetime membership for $295 for the past 9-10 years. If I lost it today, it was still a great deal.

I pray this service continues on for many years as it has blessed me and my family and many others with the great programming.

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:27 PM

To me it is more of a sadness that SkyAngel decided to set their mission aside and force secular channels on their monthly and annual subscribers. The other issues of not launching their own satellite and uplink have led to the loss of channels from their system ... perhaps they added subscribers by adding the secular channels to the lineup ... but they lost subscribers as well.

Yes, you got your money's worth for $295 ... I wish everyone had the choice to drop the secular channels and buy just the religious SkyAngel service. If SkyAngel split those channels off of the monthly/annual service they would probably find a lot of customers dropping them and a few lost customers returning.

SkyAngel has the potential to be better ... a better ministry more true to it's mission. That's what makes these changes sad.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   kbuente

kbuente

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:23 AM

I'm a monthly subscriber and I didn't appreciate the addition of the "special secular" channels. My subscription went from $11.99 to $15.99, no choice, so these "special" channels are blocked and I'm paying for them. ~MYB~

I just signed up with Sky Angel and it's only $14.99 per month and I got 2 free months out of the sign-up.

I enjoy what I've seen and heard...although wouldn't "All Worship" be cool if it was in HD?

#25 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

I agree with James Long-

"SkyAngel has the potential to be better ... a better ministry more true to it's mission. That's what makes these changes sad."

You are correct, kbuente, I believe it is $14.99. I was thinking $15 (after taxes & such), sorry, I did not mean to misquote the price.

~MYB~

#26 OFFLINE   kbuente

kbuente

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:31 AM

I found it funny that one of the Sky Angel channel's The Guardian Network carries "The A-Team".

Granted Mr. T is a Christian and I've seen him talk about following Christ on many shows but I'm not sure that all the shooting, even if you really don't see any bloodshed, is what we want in Christian programming....

I think I need to join their advisory board.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 08:16 AM

Unfortunately "The Advisory Board" only answers questions that it is asked. As with any service, a polite email or letter (put it on paper!) to SkyAngel with your concerns would be appropriate. SkyAngel doesn't control the content of the channels it picks up.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   kbuente

kbuente

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:35 PM

Unfortunately "The Advisory Board" only answers questions that it is asked. As with any service, a polite email or letter (put it on paper!) to SkyAngel with your concerns would be appropriate. SkyAngel doesn't control the content of the channels it picks up.

True, but they do control the channels that they use.

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:39 PM

They didn't drop FoxNews after hearing complaints about the content of the stories (sex, drugs and crime). :)

#30 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:17 AM

They are violating so many of their original beliefs, statements it not even funny! first of all, what happened to CHRISTIAN? They keep losing Christian stations and adding secular?! Familyland is talking of leaving too!

They were supposed to be a ministry, not a business concerned with making a profit. for someone who is losing $ they have sure been investing in property (fl and tn)

furthermore they stated that lifetime subscribers would have all future channels included at no extra charge (which they have hnored over the past 10 yrs or so). Now they have added channels(for over a year) they want to take away unless we now pay for them. not even all subscribers though, just the lifetimers!

someone didn't do their job properly if they didn't realize how much it would cost them in advance.

they are REFUSING to let monthly subscribers drop the "special 4". they are also not planning to charge them $4.99 therefore there really is no basic/special tier as they are implying.

Whenever a "religous" organization offers you a lifetime deal for a set price, if you haven't learned the lesson many times before, be it Jim Baker and PTL or countless others, only a fool would take it as legit.

I've seen too many things in my life first hand from the supposed "best" to ignore the money making machine that is organized religion today.

#31 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:20 AM

I found it funny that one of the Sky Angel channel's The Guardian Network carries "The A-Team".

That and half the other shows & commercials that GTN carries. Sky Angel does not answer my emails, or send any Sky Angel information to me anymore, but when they did and I asked about programming content, they directed me to the stations contact information, it was basically "out of their hands".

~MYB~

#32 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:30 AM

They are violating so many of their original beliefs, statements it not even funny! first of all, what happened to CHRISTIAN? They keep losing Christian stations and adding secular?! Familyland is talking of leaving too!

They were supposed to be a ministry, not a business concerned with making a profit. for someone who is losing $ they have sure been investing in property (fl and tn)

furthermore they stated that lifetime subscribers would have all future channels included at no extra charge (which they have hnored over the past 10 yrs or so). Now they have added channels(for over a year) they want to take away unless we now pay for them. not even all subscribers though, just the lifetimers!

someone didn't do their job properly if they didn't realize how much it would cost them in advance.

they are REFUSING to let monthly subscribers drop the "special 4". they are also not planning to charge them $4.99 therefore there really is no basic/special tier as they are implying.

Where did you hear about Familyland leaving SA? They are the reason I bought a lifetime subscription to begin with.

I have no problem with SA putting the 4 secular channels "in the red" since I get most of them in my AT-200 pack (especially now that Hallmark Channel has been moved down to AT-200). I was not impressed with HMC - too many commercials and the movies were far from blockbusters.

I do remember the Bob Jones home schooling channels being in the red when I first purchsed SA lifetime.

SA needs to allow monthly subs to drop the secular 4 since they are doing it for us lifetimers.

I found it odd that they wanted our smart card numbers. Mine has changed numerous times due to 921 failures. E* has handled the changeovers which included the SA service. Does this mean in the future I have to call SA whenever I change receivers?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#33 OFFLINE   mrjosh

mrjosh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:00 PM

You could do what I did. I decided I was done with Sky Angel and just stopped paying them. As luck would have it, something got screwed up with my Dish Network account which prevented Sky Angel from ever being able to cancel my service...something about a lost smart card number. Now, I've had Sky Angel for over a year and have never paid a single cent.

I too though am looking into Glory Star...though, I don't want to lose my TVU, so I might keep my FREE SA around while I can and just add Glorystar.

#34 OFFLINE   mrjosh

mrjosh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 06:02 PM

Where did you hear about Familyland leaving SA? They are the reason I bought a lifetime subscription to begin with.

I have no problem with SA putting the 4 secular channels "in the red" since I get most of them in my AT-200 pack (especially now that Hallmark Channel has been moved down to AT-200). I was not impressed with HMC - too many commercials and the movies were far from blockbusters.

I do remember the Bob Jones home schooling channels being in the red when I first purchsed SA lifetime.

SA needs to allow monthly subs to drop the secular 4 since they are doing it for us lifetimers.

I found it odd that they wanted our smart card numbers. Mine has changed numerous times due to 921 failures. E* has handled the changeovers which included the SA service. Does this mean in the future I have to call SA whenever I change receivers?

Spirit Television on their website has announced that they will be returning to SA on May 2nd to channel 9717, currently held by Familyland. .

#35 OFFLINE   He Save Dave

He Save Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

Spirit Television on their website has announced that they will be returning to SA on May 2nd to channel 9717, currently held by Familyland. .

I came here to look into Skyangel because One of my favorite stations is JCTV (a TBN simulcast) which shows Christian music videos. But I can't get a good signal with my antenna. I was hoping Skyangel had something similar. On the skyangel website it shows this when describing Spirit TV:

"Airing nightly on KTV-Kids & Teens Television/Sky Angel Channel 9703 from 9pm ET to 7am ET (6pm PT to 4am PT), SPIRIT features the best hits from yesterday and today with music videos"

So does that mean the channel is only on during those hours? I'm not quite understanding how that works. I'd really love to have a Christian Music channel. Thanks all.
:stickman:
I need DTV

#36 OFFLINE   mrjosh

mrjosh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:23 PM

I came here to look into Skyangel because One of my favorite stations is JCTV (a TBN simulcast) which shows Christian music videos. But I can't get a good signal with my antenna. I was hoping Skyangel had something similar. On the skyangel website it shows this when describing Spirit TV:

"Airing nightly on KTV-Kids & Teens Television/Sky Angel Channel 9703 from 9pm ET to 7am ET (6pm PT to 4am PT), SPIRIT features the best hits from yesterday and today with music videos"

So does that mean the channel is only on during those hours? I'm not quite understanding how that works. I'd really love to have a Christian Music channel. Thanks all.

Last year when one of their transponders went down, Spirit was one of the channels they lost. In order to keep Spirit on, Sky Angel has had KTV sharing the channel with Spirit. Spirit is now saying that they will be returning 24/7 to Sky Angel on May 2nd. Whether or not Familyland is going to continue on another channel remains a mystery. For now though, if you like Spirit, wait til May 2nd, and you can watch it anytime on channel 9717.

Also, keep in mind that TVU also plays music videos (currently channel 9705) and has a lot more of the artists played by JCTV than Spirit does. Check them out at their website which is tvulive .com.

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:48 PM

http://spirittelevision.com/watch.php is where the announcement is on their website.

#38 OFFLINE   mrjosh

mrjosh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

They have a banner for it on their homepage as well.

#39 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 07:55 PM

Ad blocker ... missed that. :D

#40 OFFLINE   He Save Dave

He Save Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 02:37 PM

So the skyangel info is the old info. Cool. Gonna have to give skyangel a try then. Thanks all!
:stickman:
I need DTV

spam firewall