Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sky Angel Lifetime subscription changes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   kbuente

kbuente

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:39 PM

You could do what I did. I decided I was done with Sky Angel and just stopped paying them. As luck would have it, something got screwed up with my Dish Network account which prevented Sky Angel from ever being able to cancel my service...something about a lost smart card number. Now, I've had Sky Angel for over a year and have never paid a single cent.

I too though am looking into Glory Star...though, I don't want to lose my TVU, so I might keep my FREE SA around while I can and just add Glorystar.

When I previously dropped SA due to a neighbor's tree blocking line of sight, I had a remaining balance 2 years ago. They never came after me or sent the lynch mob after me.....but a month ago when I re-joined (since E* gave me access to 61.5 again to get HD) I had to pay that 2 months' worth of bills.

All of this to say---be careful even if you aren't getting bills because there maybe a balance due. On the other hand, if you truly did cancel with SA and E* couldn't follow through I guess you're lucky. I'd pay it instead as extra tithes.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 11:26 PM

---Quote (Originally by mrjosh)---
You could do what I did. I decided I was done with Sky Angel and just stopped paying them. As luck would have it, something got screwed up with my Dish Network account which prevented Sky Angel from ever being able to cancel my service...something about a lost smart card number. Now, I've had Sky Angel for over a year and have never paid a single cent.

I too though am looking into Glory Star...though, I don't want to lose my TVU, so I might keep my FREE SA around while I can and just add Glorystar.
---End Quote---

Now that's the Christian Spirit!

#43 OFFLINE   tsrk30

tsrk30

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:57 PM

"You could do what I did. I decided I was done with Sky Angel and just stopped paying them. As luck would have it, something got screwed up with my Dish Network account which prevented Sky Angel from ever being able to cancel my service...something about a lost smart card number. Now, I've had Sky Angel for over a year and have never paid a single cent".
Yes it is great to see that the Christian programming has helped you become an honest person who would not steal.

This may sound like a really unbelievable idea:
Pick up the phone and call sky angel and let them know that you are receiving their programming without paying for it. But that is probably not something a person who watches Christian TV would do.

Hey kids come in here and watch this godly programming that is not filled with all kind of immoral behavior.

Hey I hear that if you want a new TV you can get one really cheap if you sneak into a circuit city store around midnight. Hey, if you have a family you could take them and they could help so you can all rush home, hook it and watch the programming you are not paying for either.

#44 OFFLINE   mrjosh

mrjosh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:12 PM

"You could do what I did. I decided I was done with Sky Angel and just stopped paying them. As luck would have it, something got screwed up with my Dish Network account which prevented Sky Angel from ever being able to cancel my service...something about a lost smart card number. Now, I've had Sky Angel for over a year and have never paid a single cent".
Yes it is great to see that the Christian programming has helped you become an honest person who would not steal.

This may sound like a really unbelievable idea:
Pick up the phone and call sky angel and let them know that you are receiving their programming without paying for it. But that is probably not something a person who watches Christian TV would do.

Hey kids come in here and watch this godly programming that is not filled with all kind of immoral behavior.

Hey I hear that if you want a new TV you can get one really cheap if you sneak into a circuit city store around midnight. Hey, if you have a family you could take them and they could help so you can all rush home, hook it and watch the programming you are not paying for either.

I did try to call them...they told me that my account no longer existed and that they showed a 38 dollar balance that had "been taken care of". This was about 2 months ago. 14.99 times 8 or 9 months is way more than 38 dollars....I told them I was still receiving a signal, they told me it was impossible. Then they asked if I would like to resubscribe.

I told them I haven't lost my service and i wasn't currently interested in resubscribing. They said again "we have no record of you currently receiving programing." I asked if maybe it was because I switched receivers. They told me they would have caught that error.

Originally, when I tried to cancel (before I stopped paying) they said okay but continued to bill me. Then the bills stopped coming but the service continued (and the new channels were added also). Don't know what to do now. They still claim they have no record of me receiving programming. I contacted Dish, but they told me they have not received any word from Sky Angel to cancel my account.

#45 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:41 AM

They said they are looking into other ways to reach us. Hope that will be glorystar as that is where I am headed at this point!

#46 OFFLINE   quiverof8

quiverof8

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:52 AM

bbbonline.com (fastest way to file complaint) preserve your rights now as 5/1 is rapidly approaching!!!

Snail mail:
BBB of West Florida, Inc.
(Clearwater, FL)
2653 McCormick Drive
Clearwater, FL 33759
Phone: (727)535-5522
Fax: (727)539-6301

Web: bbbwestflorida.org

I would email them a copy of your complaint. BBB will mail them one but it may take up to a month to get an answer.

Also be advised that skyangel has now contacted SOME of those who complained to BBB and made them a "ridiculous offer". do NOT sign it. they are offering to wave the $4.99 fee for the 4 channels IF you sign a paper waiving your lifetime contract rights to any future channels! I will post a copy of this if I can get a hold of one.

YOUr lifetime agreement guaranteed you minimum of 32 channels and any channels added at no additional charge. In legal terms this is breach of contract. don't give up your right to what you are already entitled and in fact already paid for!

You may want to include some or all of the following infor below:

Section 4 of lifetime agreement:

4.) The primary source of funding for the Dominion DBS Television and Radio System is expected to come from individual subscribers paying either an ongoing monthly subscription fee or by prepaying a lump-sum subscription for a period of years, During the first 30 months of operation DVS offered lifelong subscriptions for a one-time payment which is being discontinued for any new subscribers, For those who purchased the lifelong subscription it will last for the operating lifetime of the Dominion Sky y Angel domestic U,S, DBS service and for the lifetime of the subscriber and his or her spouse without any further monthly subscription fees and includes a minimum of 32 television and radio channels selected at Dominion's sole discretion, Once a lifelong subscription is activated to receive Sky Angel programming it is non-assignable and non-transferable, As you can see I am guaranteed NO further fee and a minimum of 32 channels. SA will clearly be in violation on both counts.

Your Desired Resolution:
I want any and all channels removed from lifetime subscribers including myself restored, effective immediately at NO COST. There will be NO modification of my original agreement in order to receive those channels. Furthermore I expect to receive a minimum of 32 channels as per the lifetime agreement. In addition I expect compensation for each day my service was turned off. I also want a signed statement from sky angel that they will cease forevermore all efforts to breach my contract.

#47 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:15 PM

YOUr lifetime agreement guaranteed you minimum of 32 channels and any channels added at no additional charge. In legal terms this is breach of contract. don't give up your right to what you are already entitled and in fact already paid for!

You may want to include some or all of the following infor below:

Section 4 of lifetime agreement:

4.) The primary source of funding for the Dominion DBS Television and Radio System is expected to come from individual subscribers paying either an ongoing monthly subscription fee or by prepaying a lump-sum subscription for a period of years, During the first 30 months of operation DVS offered lifelong subscriptions for a one-time payment which is being discontinued for any new subscribers, For those who purchased the lifelong subscription it will last for the operating lifetime of the Dominion Sky y Angel domestic U,S, DBS service and for the lifetime of the subscriber and his or her spouse without any further monthly subscription fees and includes a minimum of 32 television and radio channels selected at Dominion's sole discretion, Once a lifelong subscription is activated to receive Sky Angel programming it is non-assignable and non-transferable, As you can see I am guaranteed NO further fee and a minimum of 32 channels. SA will clearly be in violation on both counts.

Your Desired Resolution:
I want any and all channels removed from lifetime subscribers including myself restored, effective immediately at NO COST. There will be NO modification of my original agreement in order to receive those channels. Furthermore I expect to receive a minimum of 32 channels as per the lifetime agreement. In addition I expect compensation for each day my service was turned off. I also want a signed statement from sky angel that they will cease forevermore all efforts to breach my contract.

Call me stupid, but the paragraph above states they could give you at their discretion 32 radio channels only and cut off all your TV stations and still not be in violation of their agreement.

Where do you even read in that paragraph that you should get all newly added channels as well - or anything over 32 channels?

#48 OFFLINE   Ext 721

Ext 721

Icon

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:23 AM

The other question is: why fox news? I don't recall it being any more "christian" than any other news network.
....Not Purchased.

#49 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,896 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

Fox News is generally more acceptable among conservatives ... the cliche of "conservative Christian" would lead SkyAngel to sell a "conservative" news channel as part of their service.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#50 OFFLINE   MellowYBird

MellowYBird

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:23 AM

Fox News is definitely NOT Christian. If it's considered "conservative", I'd hate to see a news channel that is not "conservative".

~MYB~

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,896 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:45 AM

Ah, the difference between conservative as a political label and conservative as a way of life!

1 : PRESERVATIVE
2 a : of or relating to a philosophy of conservatism b capitalized : of or constituting a political party professing the principles of conservatism : as (1) : of or constituting a party of the United Kingdom advocating support of established institutions (2) : PROGRESSIVE CONSERVATIVE
3 a : tending or disposed to maintain existing views, conditions, or institutions : TRADITIONAL b : marked by moderation or caution <a conservative estimate> c : marked by or relating to traditional norms of taste, elegance, style, or manners <a conservative suit>
4 : of, relating to, or practicing Conservative Judaism
source

Not all of these would apply to Fox News or Sky Angel. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#52 OFFLINE   Jashobeam

Jashobeam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:06 PM

We get the survey emails and requested FoxNews and a few other secular information channels (History Channel, etc.). I agree FoxNews is not Christian, but it is conservative. Where we live we can only pickup a few channels, so Sky Angel is about the only thing we watch. We do not subscribe to cable or any other satellite programming or any local papers, so Fox is our main source of news. I do also like the addition HGTV, though we don't often watch Hallmark or Hallmark Movie Channels. I am not Catholic, but do hate to see FamilyLand being taken off. We will watch Spirit, but I feel that channel could be put to greater use.

My in-laws are lifetime subscribers and haven't watched Sky Angel in years. They still watch FoxNews and HGTV, but on their other satellite. I remember when we used to visit my in-laws and they bragged about the education channels. I wish we had those now!

#53 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

Well I filled out the questionnaire, sent it in well before April 15th. I told them I'm not interested in the secular channels (I get them on E*). As of last night the only change was the loss of Familyland and the return of Spirit. FNC, H>V, and the 2 Hallmarks still show up in the gray. Granted, I'm having a probelm with my 61.6 dish (out of alignment due to soft ground around the pole mount - I'm only receiving odd transponders).

For those of you that agreed to pay for the secular channels, I wonder how you will be billed (as in separate bill from SA or a part of the E* statement)? For those that said no to the secular, are they now in the red for you or did they disappear altogether from the EPG?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#54 OFFLINE   joetex

joetex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:20 PM

I responded in the survey that I was not interested in subscribing to the 4 channels (Fox News, Home and Garden, Hallmark and Hallmark movie channel) and as of 5/4, I still have them.

Wish they would bring back Golden Eagle!!!

#55 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:12 PM

Shhh...
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#56 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:50 PM

I still have the "secular" channels too. They can get rid of them, they are a duplication to what I get from E*. And while they are at it, give me my Familyland back!!!!!!!
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#57 OFFLINE   jci-joe

jci-joe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:30 PM

I am not subsribing to the Skyanel securlar channels but they are still on. Anyone know when the cutoff date will be?

#58 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:12 AM

When they can figure out how to do it without triggering the volley of law suits waiting to happen the instant they do?

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#59 OFFLINE   HDTVFanAtic

HDTVFanAtic

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 534 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 12:05 AM

When they can figure out how to do it without triggering the volley of law suits waiting to happen the instant they do?

See ya
Tony

Post #47 in this thread covers that.

#60 OFFLINE   CornChex

CornChex

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:09 AM

I read Post # 47, and I didn't understand how this gives an answer of when SA lifetime subscribers will lose the 4 additional channels, or how SA will head off a lawsuit. :confused:

Let me add, I am not saying that the answer is not there, but that I don't understand.

Could somebody explain?

thanks for your time....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...