Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 vibrating and humming

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:08 PM

I have the HR20 inside a TV stand on a wooden shelf. What I first noticed was a fairly loud humming from over 10 feet away. I purchased some acoustical feet designed for vibration and that has helped quite a bit, and I no longer hear the hum from where I sit watching TV. Before using those acoustical feet, I could feel the vibration by placing a hand on the side of the wooden TV stand, and I also felt that vibration on the shelf and HR20 itself. In fact, I can still feel the HR20 vibrating by placing a hand on top. I assume the vibration is caused by either the harddrive or fan, possibly both.

I recall reading a review, possibly CNET, where the reviewer mentioned the HR20 had a computer whine heard at a distance. So I guess this humming and excessive vibration is inherent in the design of the HR20, or am I wrong?

Has anyone else encountered this and used a different solution?
(2) HR20-700S
(2) Sony KDL-40V2500 LCD (HDMI)
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center
Universal RF20 remote control

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:19 PM

I can barely hear mine from about three feet and I can feel a very small vibration very similar the the touch of my Dell comp. Sounds like you might have a bad fan or something very near failure. I would try to have it replaced. My father has an HR20 which is very quiet also. You should not need to put it up on cushions.

BTW, great TV.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:23 PM

I have the HR20 inside a TV stand on a wooden shelf. What I first noticed was a fairly loud humming from over 10 feet away. I purchased some acoustical feet designed for vibration and that has helped quite a bit, and I no longer hear the hum from where I sit watching TV. Before using those acoustical feet, I could feel the vibration by placing a hand on the side of the wooden TV stand, and I also felt that vibration on the shelf and HR20 itself. In fact, I can still feel the HR20 vibrating by placing a hand on top. I assume the vibration is caused by either the harddrive or fan, possibly both.

I recall reading a review, possibly CNET, where the reviewer mentioned the HR20 had a computer whine heard at a distance. So I guess this humming and excessive vibration is inherent in the design of the HR20, or am I wrong?

Has anyone else encountered this and used a different solution?

I have had mine for just about a week, and I can say that I have not experienced what you have described. But of course my wife and daughter constantly tell me I need a hearing aid! :P

#4 OFFLINE   heavyobjects

heavyobjects

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

Does the HR20 hard drive stay on when the unit is not powered up?

#5 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

I can barely hear mine from about three feet and I can feel a very small vibration very similar the the touch of my Dell comp. Sounds like you might have a bad fan or something very near failure. I would try to have it replaced. My father has an HR20 which is very quiet also. You should not need to put it up on cushions.

BTW, great TV.

"BTW, great TV." You wouldn't be biased now would you? :) Yep, I love this TV.

I ordered another HR20 for my second KDL-40V2500 that is coming via a truck, should be here next week. I will check that with the other HR20 before asking for a replacement.

Do you or your father have the HR20 on a wooden shelf?
(2) HR20-700S
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center

#6 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

Does the HR20 hard drive stay on when the unit is not powered up?

Yes, it does.
(2) HR20-700S
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center

#7 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:37 PM

"BTW, great TV." You wouldn't be biased now would you? :) Yep, I love this TV.

I ordered another HR20 for my second KDL-40V2500 that is coming via a truck, should be here next week. I will check that with the other HR20 before asking for a replacement.

Do you or your father have the HR20 on a wooden shelf?

Mine is on a wooden shelf and my Dad's is on a glass shelf.

No bias here.! Could not find a better picture, period.
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#8 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:48 PM

Mine is on a wooden shelf and my Dad's is on a glass shelf.

No bias here.! Could not find a better picture, period.

I couldn't either, and that's why I ordered a second KDL-40V2500 after my CRT went bad. I have to say that watching HD programs, especially concerts and movies, is truly a wonderful experience. The only problem now is I have lost interest in watching SD programs.
(2) HR20-700S
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center

#9 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:54 PM

I even added Showtime just to get one more HD channel! This reminds me when color TV was new, was a major event to watch Bonanza and Disney on Sunday nights. And people complain now, hell we had three channels...
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#10 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

I even added Showtime just to get one more HD channel! This reminds me when color TV was new, was a major event to watch Bonanza and Disney on Sunday nights. And people complain now, hell we had three channels...

I hate to tell you how old I am, but when I was a kid we didn't have TV available :lol:

I have all the HD channels they offer in my area, locals are not in HD at this time, maybe next year.
(2) HR20-700S
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center

#11 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:24 PM

I hate to tell you how old I am, but when I was a kid we didn't have TV available :lol:

I have all the HD channels they offer in my area, locals are not in HD at this time, maybe next year.

We must be close because our first TV I remember my father brought home weighed about 100 lbs, was the size of a washing machine with a 5 or 6 inch round picture tube. We were amazed!. The stations all went off the air before midnight.
We have many OTA locals plus D* locals all in HD.
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#12 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

We must be close because our first TV I remember my father brought home weighed about 100 lbs, was the size of a washing machine with a 5 or 6 inch round picture tube. We were amazed!. The stations all went off the air before midnight.
We have many OTA locals plus D* locals all in HD.

Well, I can't say for certain TV was not available, but I do remember we all gathered in the living room listening to the radio, and eventually we did have a TV. I can remember my father bringing home a plastic sheet of some kind that he put over the TV to get color. The plastic film had horizontal sections of different colors, so the same colors always appeared in the same spots.

Today, in this modern era of technology, TV, mainly because of HD, has truly progressed to a remarkable level. Oh, wouldn't it be great to be a kid again? ;)

I used to play baseball games by using a pencil and piece of chalk! Now we have much better stuff to amuse ourselves :)
(2) HR20-700S
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center

#13 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:44 PM

I remember the crowds outside the local electronics store, who would leave a set on in the window in the evening. My dad bought a 10 in. RCA in a nice wooden console for the ridiculous price of $800 (in 1948 dollars, probably the equivalent of $10K today). It also contained a FM radio, the first one I ever saw.

#14 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:54 PM

I remember the crowds outside the local electronics store, who would leave a set on in the window in the evening. My dad bought a 10 in. RCA in a nice wooden cabinet for the ridiculous price of $800 (in 1948 dollars, probably the equivalent of $10K today). It also contained a FM radio, the first one I ever saw.

People today are concerned with how many years a set will last and back in the early 50's if you got more than a couple of years out of a picture tube you were doing good. Tuners that drifted, snowy pictures plus all the tubes! Internal and external adjustments that are all now automatic. Remote contols? They used more electricity than five of todays sets. They hummed, buzzed and crackled and popped, all on a good day. What is horizontal hold? lol The picture would start to shrink when things were getting tired inside. I don't think my new set weighs more than 45 pounds. And the people on these forums complain that it takes 6 seconds to change channels. Life is really tough!
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#15 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:58 PM

I remember the crowds outside the local electronics store, who would leave a set on in the window in the evening. My dad bought a 10 in. RCA in a nice wooden console for the ridiculous price of $800 (in 1948 dollars, probably the equivalent of $10K today). It also contained a FM radio, the first one I ever saw.

You guys must have been rich! A TV with a radio? Sounds like the best of both worlds. I think our first TV was a Dumont.
(2) HR20-700S
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center

#16 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:01 PM

People today are concerned with how many years a set will last and back in the early 50's if you got more than a couple of years out of a picture tube you were doing good. Tuners that drifted, snowy pictures plus all the tubes! Internal and external adjustments that are all now automatic. Remote contols? They used more electricity than five of todays sets. They hummed, buzzed and crackled and popped, all on a good day. What is horizontal hold? lol The picture would start to shrink when things were getting tired inside. I don't think my new set weighs more than 45 pounds. And the people on these forums complain that it takes 6 seconds to change channels. Life is really tough!

:lol:

You are certainly bringing back memories. I can recall the arguing that went on about who was going to get up and change the channel :)
(2) HR20-700S
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center

#17 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:07 PM

Silly thing though, my kids are grown and gone, just my wife and I and we have 4 TV's, 3 DVR's and still don't always find something good to watch. Might have been easier with only 3 channels!
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H

#18 OFFLINE   JVM

JVM

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:09 PM

Silly thing though, my kids are grown and gone, just my wife and I and we have 4 TV's, 3 DVR's and still don't always find something good to watch. Might have been easier with only 3 channels!

As the old saying goes, give me quality and you can keep the quantity ;)
(2) HR20-700S
Samsung R145 DVD (HDMI)
Toshiba D-R5 DVD (HDMI)
Monster Power Center

#19 OFFLINE   docLakers

docLakers

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:36 AM

I have mine inside a wooden cabinet and have the exact same symptoms

#20 OFFLINE   hersheytx

hersheytx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:04 AM

:lol:

You are certainly bringing back memories. I can recall the arguing that went on about who was going to get up and change the channel :)

HAHA> That was why my farther had kids. Change the remote. Get him a beer. Mow the lawn.

Ahhh....those were the days.

spam firewall