Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ONLY D* graphics burning in

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mtsz52784

mtsz52784

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:12 PM

ok so i have a 42" Philips plasma and got it only in January and recently i have noticed a slight burning in... i.e. today got home (tv was off since 800 am ) at 500 pm and turned the tv on and checked the guide... i switched to a channel and the background was white and i could see some burning in of the D* graphics... havent seen it with any other programs or OTA channels through the TV input (not the HR20) everything is connected through HDMI and Native off. Any suggestions... Thanks Matt
If you can read this thank a teacher -AND- since its in english thank a soldier!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

It is most likely Image rentention....

Looks a lot like burn-in, but it doesn't do any physical damage.

Put on Discovery HD or some other full motion HD broadcast for about 10-15 minutes...

It should be fine.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   mtsz52784

mtsz52784

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Earl... any reason why it does that or how to stop it?
If you can read this thank a teacher -AND- since its in english thank a soldier!

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Earl... any reason why it does that or how to stop it?

It is part of Plasma technology (it happens on my plasma from time to time, but after 3 years, and over 6,000hrs of viewing time... I don't have any burn in).

The "phosporus" (sp is probably way off). remembers it's state, and doesn't directly respond to the new stimulus for the new pictures... hence why it is called "retention".

Burn-in is when there is physical damage to the unit (ilke the glass get's cooked).

No really way to eliminate it, except for maybe turning down your contrast a bit. But unless you keep that DirecTV screen up for multiple hours (and I am talking like all day), without the screen saver kicking in... you won't be permanently harming your new Plasma
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   mtsz52784

mtsz52784

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

Thanks again Earl... I wasn't worried about burn in when i bought the TV because i did research it but this did scare me a little and i knew that it would take a while for the TV to experience burn in if it ever did, or somebody leaving the same picture on the tv for hours at a time.

Thanks again

#6 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:48 PM

ok so i have a 42" Philips plasma and got it only in January and recently i have noticed a slight burning in... i.e. today got home (tv was off since 800 am ) at 500 pm and turned the tv on and checked the guide... i switched to a channel and the background was white and i could see some burning in of the D* graphics... havent seen it with any other programs or OTA channels through the TV input (not the HR20) everything is connected through HDMI and Native off. Any suggestions... Thanks Matt

How many hours on your plasma? It is generally recommended that when you first get a plasma, you put it on a full frame station w/o any logos and leave it on for at least 24 hours straight. This will help prevent the image retention. But as Ealr said, it shouldn't do any damage. You really have to try to burn a new plasma. Early plasmas were more susceptible to burn in.

#7 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,889 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

Thanks again Earl... I wasn't worried about burn in when i bought the TV because i did research it but this did scare me a little and i knew that it would take a while for the TV to experience burn in if it ever did, or somebody leaving the same picture on the tv for hours at a time.

Thanks again

I have owned plasmas for 8 years now. The only time you are truly at risk of burn in is if you play a lot of video games or it is used in a business to display the same ad image. I was a huge xbox player for years and most plasmas have a pixel rotation option to avoid burn in even then.
If you see some images in the darker areas after, just tune into a brighter show for a minute or so to cancel out the 'memory'.

#8 OFFLINE   mtsz52784

mtsz52784

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:59 PM

Thanks all... glad i have nothing to worry about...

#9 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:22 AM

Let me also just say that this is a phenomena on my LCD screen as well. Although it is not burn-in by any means, a latent image is left behind by the info banner and menu screen when it is cleared, and will remain until something else 'wipes' it from the screen.

This is predominantly seen when I have the light gray pillars selected. As soon as the channel bar clears, I will still see a faint image of it in the upper left and right in the grey areas on either side, especially the D* logo. If I switch to a 16x9 broadcast program , the image goes away immediately. I have since switched the pillars to black, and although I'm sure these 'pixel abberations' are still there I never see them anymore. I still can, however, see them when the screen saver kicks in, (during the XM stations), as the moving logo leaves a faintly visible trail onscreen which is only seen as you approach the screen and look at it on angle, or with the brightness turned way up.

I think this is actually something being generated by the HR20 itself, since neither my DVD player or reciever, (which is also hooked to my LCD), have ever generated any of these artifacts.

This is all non-damaging to the screen, however, and it's nothing I'm particularly worried about.:)

spam firewall