Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need Input: SundayTicket / SuperfaN Ideas

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ohills

ohills

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

I agree with the HD but not superfan suggestion. I never used any of the superfan features and actually found them pretty annoying!

I totally agree. All I want from the SF is HD games. I would pay a little extra but not the full price. It is not worth $99 just for HD. D* gave me SF last year for free and I will not pay for it this season!

Sony 55EX500, Vizio 47", Sony 40EX400 Samsung un46eh6000 all via HDMI, HR 34, HR24, HR20, HR22
16ch SWM, Denon 3312ci and Yamaha 2300 receivers Klipsch Reference Series Speakers, HSU VTF2 MK-3 SUB
21.5 2011 imac mountain lion

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

I totally agree. All I want from the SF is HD games. I would pay a little extra but not the full price. It is not worth $99 just for HD. D* gave me SF last year for free and I will not pay for it this season!

Hate to point it out, but if you'll notice the new MLB Package just now coming out.... it has its own 'SuperfaN' addon (at a price) package for HD.

It would seem the marketing is clear.

#43 OFFLINE   Mike P

Mike P

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

This is a great thread & any improvements to NFL Sunday Ticket and Superfan would be great. I can't wait to watch the games in HD. : )
(1) HR20-100 HD DVR
(1) R10 SD DVR - (Tivo unit)
(2) D10 SD Recievers
Samsung 42" HD Plasma HP-S4253
Samsung Upconvert DVD Surround System HT-Q70

#44 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:13 PM

I got superfan for free last year (first year with hd) and will pay for it again as I got hooked watching games in hd (especially with my Steelers!). But like others, I have no use for any of the superfan features except the hd broadcasts. And even though I know they can do pretty much whatever they want, making you pay extra for these hd broadcasts is inconsistent with their basic policy now of having your pay for hd access and then getting whatever hd broadcasts are then available in your programming package. So, for the price of hd access I can get HBOHD if I subscribe to HBO, but not Showtimehd if I don't subscribe to Showtime. That makes sense to me. Then why doesn't HD access get you NFLST hd broadcasts if you subscribe to NFLST?

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#45 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 674 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:05 AM

I think they charge extra for the HD feeds because of the extra bandwidth used. Does this make sense? My biggest wish for NFLST has nothing to do with D*. It is CBS only doing 3 games in HD each week. The AFC is being slighted big time and was the better conference last year. I only watch (record) games broadcast in HD. What you fantasy and DLB guys really need is the split screen PIP that the VIP622 just got. I guess the HR20 will never do this (bummer). I record all the games and watch them one at a time. I get my fourth HR20 installed today. I just need one more by Sept.;)

#46 OFFLINE   BarryS14

BarryS14

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:56 AM

How about selecting a game and when you click on the red button, you can select multiple camera angles, mutliple audio choices, in-game highlights. That would be great to just to hear the fans and/or my team radio broadcast while watching the game from the End-Zone camera.

#47 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:44 AM

I think they charge extra for the HD feeds because of the extra bandwidth used. Does this make sense? My biggest wish for NFLST has nothing to do with D*. It is CBS only doing 3 games in HD each week. The AFC is being slighted big time and was the better conference last year. I only watch (record) games broadcast in HD. What you fantasy and DLB guys really need is the split screen PIP that the VIP622 just got. I guess the HR20 will never do this (bummer). I record all the games and watch them one at a time. I get my fourth HR20 installed today. I just need one more by Sept.;)

Yeah, I forgot about the CBS thing. That really sucks. I was speaking with a very helpful DTV CSR ("Enhanced Support") and she told me that CBS plans on adding one additional game each year in HD. So this year we should get four, next year five, and so forth. I don't know how reliable that is, but it will be interesting to see how many HD broadcasts they do next season.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#48 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, I forgot about the CBS thing. That really sucks. I was speaking with a very helpful DTV CSR ("Enhanced Support") and she told me that CBS plans on adding one additional game each year in HD. So this year we should get four, next year five, and so forth. I don't know how reliable that is, but it will be interesting to see how many HD broadcasts they do next season.

That is exactly correct. I guess a CSR can get it right sometimes.

#49 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

Not surprised. This was one of the most informed CSRs I ever spoke with at DTV. I had called earlier complaining about not being able to get the Penguins game on 95 as the guide had promised and got a lot of misinformation for about an hour. Then later in the afternoon I called again and got routed automatically to "enhanced support" (or something like that). She not only knew her stuff but was willing to admit when she didn't (instead of feeding me a line to get me to hang up like the earlier CSRs had done). I should have gotten her name. She was good!

AU9, SWM8
Whole Home.

#50 Guest_rcoleman111_*

Guest_rcoleman111_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:52 PM

How about offering the shortcuts in HD? If a game is telecast in HD, is there any reason the shortcut shouldn't be HD?

Another suggestion: For the Game Mix or "L" channels, how about making reducing or eliminating the border area and making the games bigger? Even on a big screen, they look tiny.

I also agree with the suggestion of Red Zone Channel in HD. It's a great feature, but who wants to watch it in SD when most of the games are in HD?

#51 OFFLINE   mnbulldog

mnbulldog

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:53 PM

Been using NFLST for 6 years nowand SF for both years. The price keeps going up and it will probably keep going up. So be it. Eventually they will kill their own market. I will keep paying because I have a roommate to split it with and is cheaper than hitting the bar for 17 weeks 0- by far. Enough said about the pricing. It is what it is. Subscribe or don't.

My biggest complaints (in order) are:

1. Red Zone Channel not in HD (WHY?)
2. Game Mix Channel not in HD (WHY?)
3. Keeping the L when switching channels.
4. Showing active games on the L (once the early games end - put the late games on the first page and then Finals after that)

Even if games are broadcast in SD (thank you CBS) they can be sidebar'd for Red Zone Channel.

#52 OFFLINE   mnbulldog

mnbulldog

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:56 PM

This question was posed in the DirecTV Superfan forum:

Is there anyway to turn off the pop up that keeps coming up everytime you change the channel (to another game) reminding you of the color buttons to bring up scores and stats? It's getting a bit annoying now. Every single time the channel is changed I have to answer this question.

Maybe this only works on my rcvr but when the pop-up would come up the first time (first game I tuned to) there is something that says press (color that I can't remember) to cancel (or something to that effect) and it would never come up again. This is for the player tracker notice.

#53 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:48 AM

It's possible that the red zone and game mix channels are not in HD because all of the games are not in HD so they would have a mix of HD and SD. Just my guess. In 2009 when all are in HD lets hope that changes.

#54 OFFLINE   chopperjc

chopperjc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:02 AM

Need Your Input for SundayTicket/SuperfaN

I will be happy to serve as our class secretary and assemble our aggregate suggestions at the end of this thread. At that point, I plan to PM the results to Earl and request that he get some attention for us and pass these ideas back to the right DIRECTV developers to consider:

Enhanced Screen

For starts: my personal input has to do with a feature called the "Enhanced Game Screen". More popularly, it's called the "L" screen, because you give up some "L" shaped geography on your screen and in return get an "L" pattern showing the status and score of ten other games. It is available for both SundayTicket and SuperfaN subscribers. (See the photo attachment.)

The suggestions:

• Keep all the early Sunday games on screen #1, and all the late Sunday games on screen #2. Don't make me jump back and forth between screen #1 to screen #2. The games will fit in the current "L"; last season only one week (week 11) had more than ten early games. Most importantly, keep all the late Sunday games on the screen #2 "L".
  • Once I have selected the "L" display, keep that "L" display turned on even when I change channels. That is: as long as the channel I'm changing to is selected by clicking one of the "L" icons or is directly selected and is within the SundayTicket or SuperfaN channel range, keep the "L" active. Don't make me have to re-request it with every channel change. Yeah -- If I go off to a local channel to view a game that is blacked out, I'll lose the "L". I understand.
  • On the "L" display, update the scores and status of the games much closer to real time. Because of the update delays last year, I would often change to a game where the status just turned red, only to find that that the team had already scored a few minutes earlier.

Please post your thoughts, ideas and suggestions for SundayTicket and SuperfaN. We're early enough in the process to provide some good input for the DIRECTV development folks that could be implemented this year.

Our input can help make the final product something that we are all proud of!

All fantastic suggestions. I think we need a list of upgrades and priority votes like the HR20 receiver has.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

#55 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

Attached is the message I sent to Earl today, listing what appeared to be our top ten requests.

Earl responded within a few minutes and said he would forward the message on to the right folks within DIRECTV.

Sorry - this was not as detailed and scientific as some folks would have preferred. Take heart - you can be sure we'll still have items on our wish list at this time next year...

#56 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

How about offering just a HD package and not have to buy the SD games?

Cant just yet as CBS is not carrying all games in HD. I think this year they upped their weekly commitment to 5.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#57 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:46 PM

Cant just yet as CBS is not carrying all games in HD. I think this year they upped their weekly commitment to 5.

I don't care if I miss the SD games all I want and watch is HD anyways so if a few games are just SD and I can't get them that is fine by me

#58 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,433 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:52 PM

My biggest complaints are paying Superfan is the biggest rip off. If I did not get it free every year I would cancel Sunday Ticket. To many games are on TV anyway.
Game Mix is not in HD
Red Zone is not in HD
Enhanced features are so annoying with the press the button pop up windows.

JACK,

#59 OFFLINE   kentuck1163

kentuck1163

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 03:59 PM

My biggest complaints are paying Superfan is the biggest rip off. If I did not get it free every year I would cancel Sunday Ticket. To many games are on TV anyway.
Game Mix is not in HD
Red Zone is not in HD
Enhanced features are so annoying with the press the button pop up windows.

Not to mention, if you had an H20 you couldn't use any of the Active Features last year, anyway.

I too would NEVER get Sunday Ticket if I could not get Superfan for free. And, even then, I'm giving it serious thought this week about passing it up.
My Setup:

AT9 dish (pole mount); Zinwell WB68 6x8 multiswitch
HR21-200 -->HDMI --> Toshiba 37HL67 (<20-ft run from dish)
(1) D11-500 receiver
INACTIVE: (2) D11-500 and (1) H20-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...