Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Well the HR20 ever be replaced?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Spoonie

Spoonie

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:35 AM

I would think that D* is working on a replacement. Anyone knows when the next generation of D*'s HD-DVRs will come out? Or are we stuck with revisions to the HR-20 forever? The reason I ask is because D* will give me an upgrade for free because my 10-250 keeps losing its HD channels (even on sunny days). They offered a new HR-20 to replace my 10-250 but once the new receiver is activated you are committed to a 2-year contract. This seems like a gamble to me because installing a HR-20 doesn’t guarantee that my HD channels would be fixed. I’ve already had both my 10-250 and H20 replaced and the HD problem happens no matter what box is connected. The signal strength is fine.

The current HR-20 doesn’t have the features I want so a newer better featured model is what it will take for D* to keep me. I’ve been a 12 year D* customer but this HD problem has me checking Verizon’s web site for fios availability in my area (already have internet). If you ask me D* is slippin. They’ve been promising more HD channels for years and all we got was TNT HD. I can’t wait to fire D*

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:41 AM

For ever?
No... As with all their units, they are always working on the "next" one.
It could be another year or two until we see the "next" HD DVR..

But you can almost BET, that it is going to be very similar to the current model.

As far as I keep track of. There are 2.5 features that the HR20 doesn't have that the HR10 does: DLB, Suggestions, and Advanced Wishlists

Everything else that you could do with your HR10 (unhacked) you can do with an HR20.

As for DirecTV slipping... with regards to HD channels.
Well.. Once those SATs go up...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,382 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:44 AM

I had the very same mysterious loss of HD channels, replaced tuners, multi-switches and after several attempts to make the repairs I suggested replacing the LNB. (AU9 dish) They told me they never go bad, I said humor me, they changed them and never a problem since. My signal strenght was alwas good as well. Worth a try.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#4 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:55 AM

.....they are always working on the "next" one.

I hope the new one has PIP. :D

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:10 AM

It's been said here and other places, including a DirecTV press conference, that the HR20 is the foundation for all future DirecTV advanced services. They are working very hard to get this one right and they've made a lot of progress.

If you're a long-term customer and the HR30 (or whatever it's called) comes out in 6 months when you're still on 2-year contract, it's not impossible to get them to send you a new one. You just have to ask nice.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   nzone

nzone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

I had the very same mysterious loss of HD channels, replaced tuners, multi-switches and after several attempts to make the repairs I suggested replacing the LNB. (AU9 dish) They told me they never go bad, I said humor me, they changed them and never a problem since. My signal strenght was alwas good as well. Worth a try.

Exact same thing I had. I was told the exact same thing also by the 2nd installer. I told him just go ahead and replace the LNBs. The look on his face was priceless after he saw that was the problem

#7 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:05 AM

What one has to remember is that by the time any piece of electronic hardware hits the market, it is already on the verge of obsolesence. Certainly the minds at D* are thinking up the next unit, do you think the team over at Microsoft isn't already working feverishly on the follow-up to the Xbox 360?

It would appear, however, in the case of the HR20, as exemplified by the numerous software upgrades made available over the last 6 mo. or so, that D* did in fact release the HR20 to the market while still a work in progress, before all its issues had been fully ironed out, and thus will probably be sticking with the HR20 for a good long time.

I actually don't mind this, as long as they don't simply go "back to the drawing board" and try and do it right with the next release...which I don't think they'd do. There's too much at stake with this unit already.

They'll get it right. Anyone remember the debacle of the Sega Saturn, and how Sega tried to revive their fortunes with the Dreamcast? There are very few 'do overs' in the business of electronics when good faith (and a good deal of money) has been lost.

#8 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:07 AM

For ever?
No... As with all their units, they are always working on the "next" one.

But you can almost BET, that it is going to be very similar to the current model.

As far as I keep track of. There are 2.5 features that the HR20 doesn't have that the HR10 does: DLB, Suggestions, and Advanced Wishlists

Everything else that you could do with your HR10 (unhacked) you can do with an HR20.

As for DirecTV slipping... with regards to HD channels.
Well.. Once those SATs go up...

Isn't the HR10 a TiVo? If so, there is one BIG thing you can do with a TiVo that you can't with the HR20, and that is autorecord only on the channels you receive.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#9 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:11 AM

They'll get it right. Anyone remember the debacle of the Sega Saturn, and how Sega tried to revive their fortunes with the Dreamcast? There are very few 'do overs' in the business of electronics when good faith (and a good deal of money) has been lost.

Funny you mention this, as I have both, and still use them regularly. I really like the two machines, and I never knew why (except marketing?) these machines killed the Sega home market. Of course, with that said, I got both after they were orphaned, so I got the Saturn for $40, and the DC for $10.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#10 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

Isn't the HR10 a TiVo? If so, there is one BIG thing you can do with a TiVo that you can't with the HR20, and that is autorecord only on the channels you receive.

Okay... so 3 full features... ;)

As even with the TiVo you have to maintain the list of channels that you "receive" and that does get altered, so you could end up "autorecording" on a channel you "receive" either.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall