Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Channel Mapdown

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dad2trips

dad2trips

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

OK, probably stupid question, but what does HD Channel Mapdown mean? I have read through Ron's thread on Software History and see this as well as some discussion, but what is it? Also, any additional source for release notes of 4.01?

Thanks,
Tim

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

The release notes are what we got ... some of the details are discussed in the thread as to what does what and how.

The mapdowns are simply putting high numbered HD channels, such as the ones in the 9400s, on lower channel numbers where people tuning to SDs will find the better resolution HD channels. With mapdown when you type channel 140 for ESPN you get the better resolution ESPN HD. There are also mapdowns for the HD locals (where available) and SD locals (also where available). It makes it easy to find your local TV channels when they are on the same number that they advertise on their feeds and in local listings.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   dad2trips

dad2trips

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:22 AM

Thanks for the reply James

#4 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:07 PM

James,
On a similar note, how do I block the higher channel HD channels from showing in my Guide when I view only HD channels? I tried Menu/5/3 locking them out and then hiding the locked channels but they are still showing. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
Mary
*E since '98: Dish 1000.2,VIP622, VIP722K
*D since 4/07 for MLB EI, HR-21

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

Menu-5 (enter password to get into locks)
#3 should say "Unlock System" ... if it says Lock System select it and give a password (twice)
#8 should say "Show Locked" ... if it says "Hide Locked" select it and confirm with YES

If the system is locked (3) and the locked channels are hidden (8) all you have to do us lock the channels you want to hide ...
#2 Channel locks
Type a number or arrow down to the channels
Select any channels you want to lock/hide
Select DONE

Then exit the Locks menu using 0 cancel
And exit the menu using 0 cancel

When you go to the guide the channels are gone ... the mapdowns should be there
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:14 PM

Thanks! That did the trick!
Mary

#7 OFFLINE   jrdnyquist

jrdnyquist

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:18 PM

oh yeah!!! that works great for me too. Just had a 1000+ installed with HD locals. I went in and hid all my 8000 and 6000 channels since they're all mapped down to the lower local channel numbers. Mapdown + hiding locked RULES!

I'm falling more and more in love with Dish + ViP622 every day. If they could just get the external USB drive thing going they'll be hands down untouchable in HD content and DVR features. Sure they could add more features to the DVR but it's pretty darn solid right now with the exception of the 30 hour space limit.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

Your 622 loves you too! :D

Good to see happy people ... more features are on the way. Just have to work through the last changes.

#9 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:08 PM

I'm falling more and more in love with Dish + ViP622 every day.

Ditto! It's a great receiver, esp since the 4.03 update. Tell you what, use a D* R15 for a few days and you'll appreciate E* receivers/remotes even more. The D* menus just don't make sense logistically, you have to manually block out every channel you don't subscribe to so they don't show up in the guide or else make a favorites list of ALL the channels you do get, the unit responds to the remote very slowly, channel changing is slow, I could go on and on....

Thankfully, I only use D*when there is an MLB game on that I want to watch. :hurah:
Mary

spam firewall