Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD Locals thru D*

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mojo7877

mojo7877

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:59 PM

I live in the Jacksonville, FL area and just got HD locals thru D*. I was just wondering if it is standard for them to only give you the big 4 (ABC,CBS,FOX, and NBC) local affiliates? I have other SD locals like an independent, CW, and PBS affiliates who have OTA HD channels. (I had an antenna hooked up, but i am a good bit outside Jax so it always dropped in and out). Anyone have more than the big 4 HD locals thru D*?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PoitNarf

PoitNarf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

There is a very small handful of markets that receive CW in HD. Most markets only get the big 4 networks like you do. However there are also some markets that get only 2 of the big 4. If you're in a good area for reception, then an OTA is a must to get your other HD locals. If you're having difficultly receiving OTA then go visit http://www.antennaweb.org to figure out which antenna is best for your location.

#3 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:02 PM

I can't remember exactly what I have here in SF, but it is not the full compliment of stations. I do believe that we have at least one independent, though -- oops, the independent might be from 'mynetwork' which is actually one of the listed HD locals on the DirecTV website.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#4 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:06 PM

We have CW here in Philly...no PBS stations, although they come in very well over OTA, (plus LOTS of variants...). I suppose the only other net here would be the former WB..now the "MyPHL" channel...

#5 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:35 AM

I live in the Jacksonville, FL area and just got HD locals thru D*. I was just wondering if it is standard for them to only give you the big 4 (ABC,CBS,FOX, and NBC) local affiliates? I have other SD locals like an independent, CW, and PBS affiliates who have OTA HD channels. (I had an antenna hooked up, but i am a good bit outside Jax so it always dropped in and out). Anyone have more than the big 4 HD locals thru D*?

Mojo.. same story here near Harrisburg, PA. We got some HD locals Wednesday and was told CW and PBS were not offered in my area due to capacity. Maybe the same in your area. When the new HD birds are put up, they may be able to add more locals to some areas missing a few. A waiting game.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#6 OFFLINE   nth78

nth78

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:02 PM

I don't have HD locals through D* yet, but when I do will they be on the regular channel # (i.e. Channel 6 for my NBC)? via OTA it is 6-1. I currently have SD locals through D*. After I get HD locals will I still be able to watch SD locals on my other TV (which isn't HDTV)? From what I've read both the SD and the HD are on the same channel #.

#7 OFFLINE   Larry G

Larry G

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:09 PM

I don't have HD locals through D* yet, but when I do will they be on the regular channel # (i.e. Channel 6 for my NBC)? via OTA it is 6-1. I currently have SD locals through D*. After I get HD locals will I still be able to watch SD locals on my other TV (which isn't HDTV)? From what I've read both the SD and the HD are on the same channel #.

Yes
You will get both an HD and SD version of the same channel with the same number.

#8 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:37 PM

What you'll actually see in your list will be 3 channels (provided you have an OTA) for the same station, so say for channel 6, the SAT SD channel will be labeled "CHI6", the SAT HD channel will be labeled "WMAQ-TV", and your OTA will be "6-1". It'll be up to how you modify your channel favorites list as to how these are displayed each time you access your program guide.

As for myself, I've removed the OTA and SD stations off the list wherever there's a local HD provided from D*. Otherwise, each SD variant is still available, and there are a LOT of good extra OTA stations out there!

#9 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:40 PM

Correction... the HD local provided by D* would be WMAQ-6, wouldn't it?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall