Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quick Poll: Lease or Own 622

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drillhead

drillhead

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

I keep going back and forth....need help (I know the cost issues). I also might be getting transfered by employer. Is relocation of leased unit an issue?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:09 AM

I don't see a poll to vote in so I guess you are just looking for comments. Lots of people used to purchase their receivers when they were not that expensive. Now days. as they get more complex, they are getting very expensive to buy every few years. And, since new models seem to come along every two to three years, it does not make a lot of sense to me to purchase.

As long as Dish Network is available where ever you get transfered, you should be able to just inform Dish of the new location and take the leased receiver with you. Dish even offers a Dish Mover service to install a new dish at your new location.

Some people have purchased a second 622 because they could not get Dish to lease them two units so they wind up with a mix. However I know some people were successful in leasing two 622s from Dish.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#3 OFFLINE   TomH

TomH

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 06:47 AM

I started to lease because I figure I'll probably upgrade again anyway before the cost benefit of buying pays off.

#4 OFFLINE   Amon37

Amon37

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:49 AM

Lease here.

#5 OFFLINE   EagleCreek

EagleCreek

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:55 AM

I recently purchased a replacement DVR, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably lease. The limited life of units and technical changes from older models to new models makes leasing a better deal for me than it used to.

#6 OFFLINE   drillhead

drillhead

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

I recently purchased a replacement DVR, but if I had it to do over again I'd probably lease. The limited life of units and technical changes from older models to new models makes leasing a better deal for me than it used to.

thanks alot...i was leaning that way anyhow!

#7 OFFLINE   rice0209

rice0209

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

After my 921 experience, i will never lease from Dish again. I paid over $600 for a piece of junk that never worked properly (some paid $1000!) and was swapped out 3 times. I am still upset over how dish handled that whole situation.

I currently have two leased 622's and am much happier knowing that I don't have major amounts of money invested in these units. With that said, these units are not nearly as problematic, but if a new model came out, i wouldn't even entertain the thought of putting down $500 or more for it. Even with the upfront payments and monthly fee, you should not eclipse the purchase price.

Not to mention, these receivers become virtually useless after dish changes technology, so its not like they will work for ever if you own.

#8 OFFLINE   Kricket

Kricket

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

I started to lease because I figure I'll probably upgrade again anyway before the cost benefit of buying pays off.

ditto
-------------
the blog...

need help with your wireless phone? check out THE source for everything mobile - howardforums.com

#9 OFFLINE   TechniKal

TechniKal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

What are the economic benefits of buying?

Lease = no equipment costs

Buy = ~$400

I guess if you have multiple receivers, then buying eliminates the $6/mth lease fee. It'd take quite a few months to make up the $400 upfront cost through a $6 a month savings, though.

Personally, I see the 622 as nothing more than a device I need to get Dish programming. It has no value without the programming. If Dish is willing to lease me the device for free, I'm going to have a hard time justifying paying to own it.

#10 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

Own all of my receivers.

1st account for my family - 2 622 dvrs.
2nd account for my parents- 1 622 dvr.
3rd account for my aunt - 1 501 dvr.

Don't like leasing anything as it keeps you dancing to their set of rules and requirements like you have to take the hd pack for 20.00 if you lease. I don't have to pay for the hd pack on my parents account , since they don't care about it.

More options with owning than leasing. I could even sell it on e-bay if I wanted to or trade them in for a newer receivers at Dishdepot.com for trade in value.

#11 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:34 AM

I own all my receivers 1 721 1 921 and 2 622s, same for all my dishes.

#12 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

I keep going back and forth....need help (I know the cost issues). I also might be getting transfered by employer. Is relocation of leased unit an issue?

Prior to upgrading to HD, we owned all of our DISH receivers and have for the almost 9 years we have been with DISH. But when DISH was willing to lease us 2 622s to keep us from jumping to Directv, we took them up on the offer. It's minimal cost upfront and seemed the best choice for us, at least.

#13 OFFLINE   sthor

sthor

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:40 PM

I lease. Why buy something that will be obsolete in 3-4 years?

#14 OFFLINE   Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:43 PM

i lease my 622.........& own a 501 & a 510
i would prefer to own...but i just didnt feel like paying $500 for the 622 and then another $95 to the dish setup for hd .. i was happy with the 500s......and i truly hate paying lease fees......usually if there is a problem with your receiver, you should know within the 1st year......i only had to replace my 510 once.....& it was smooth sailing

#15 OFFLINE   rkklinke

rkklinke

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

I own two 622's one I paid over 700 for and one I got for about 450. I also own three 522's even though I only use one of those currently. I still have a leased 811 but when I move in six weeks I will give that back for another 622. I also have my orig. three 301's. I will probably use the three 622's and one 522 in the new house. The 522 will be for mine and my dad's slingbox's. Because I have the america's everything package I don't have to pay for every DVR just the additional receivers.

spam firewall