Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Non-responsive HR20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   firedog1

firedog1

Legend

• Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:36 AM

Hello

I turned on the TV and HR20-700 this morning and the HR20 would not respond to the remote, just a black screen. I was unable to turn the HR20 off manually on the box itself.

My question, what is the proper protocol to reset the HR20 with minimal disruption? I have several unviewed programs and settings that I do not want to lose, if possible.

The slimline dish and HR20 were installed 11 March, with all new RG6 cables. I am running the current software version that automatically updated a few days ago.

Thank you

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:52 AM

Hit the RESET button (on the front).
If that doesn't work.

Pull the power plug from the back.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   BillN96

BillN96

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 09:59 AM

Pull the power plug from the back.

And leave it unplugged for about a minute before plugging it back in.

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:13 AM

And leave it unplugged for about a minute before plugging it back in.

If you're going to unplug it: do it for 5 to 10 min. There is a hard drive that wants to come to a complete stop before powering back up.
A.K.A VOS

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:17 AM

Hello
I turned on the TV and HR20-700 this morning and the HR20 would not respond to the remote, just a black screen. I was unable to turn the HR20 off manually on the box itself.
My question, what is the proper protocol to reset the HR20 with minimal disruption? I have several unviewed programs and settings that I do not want to lose, if possible.
The slimline dish and HR20 were installed 11 March, with all new RG6 cables. I am running the current software version that automatically updated a few days ago.
Thank you

Same thing happened to me this morning on the HR-20 that received the national release through the auto download. Turned it on & nothing. one RBR later..fine.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   firedog1

firedog1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:38 AM

The RBR did the trick. Thank you very much for all of the speedy replies.

I did a system test after the RBR and TUNER 1 says OK, acquired at 0%, TUNER 2 says OK, acquired at 98%.

Prior to the RBR, the last time I ran a system test, both tuners had 90% + signals. Any ideas on what the problem may be with TUNER 1?

Ox145 was updated this morning at 1:41 AM.

Thank you

#7 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:42 AM

There probably isn't.

The System Test often runs faster then the systems doing the work underneath.

If you run the test again later on.. you will probably find that it comes back with a value.

But to be sure...just go into the signal test screen, and specifically look at tuner #1
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   firedog1

firedog1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the reply Earl.

I did check signal strength on both tuners. Tuners 1 and 2 show signals from the mids 80s-mid 90s. I'll try running a system test later to see if tuner 1 shows up.

#9 OFFLINE   solo1026

solo1026

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for the reply Earl.

I did check signal strength on both tuners. Tuners 1 and 2 show signals from the mids 80s-mid 90s. I'll try running a system test later to see if tuner 1 shows up.

I have the same problem a few weeks ago. I downloaded an upgrade and when it was done I lost one of my tuners. I try rebooting and it didn't work so I re did the upgrade. Downloaded reinstall the software and that did it! I had my tuners back. I would give it a try.
DirecTV Since 1996!
Primary Set-up Livingroom
AT9 5LNB Dish > 6X8 Multiswitch > w-BBC's > HR22 -100 > HDMI > Mitsubishi Full-1080P 57"- DLP > 1080i Native OFF >
OTA Channel Master 3010 Antenna to Mitsubishi 57" for Local HD > Network-Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP with VOD inabled > 0x0342> MPEG4 HD Locals from DTV

Second Set-up Bedroom
Samsung 32" LCD 720P > HR21 -200 > 1080I Native OFF > Not in Network

3rd Set-up
Philips 32" LCD 720P > HR20-700 0x0342 > 1080I Native Off > Not in Network

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,169 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 March 2007 - 01:53 PM

When I first turned one of my HR20's on this morning I had a black screen. But I simply changed channels and it started working properly. This one was connected by component. The other HR20 (connected by HDMI) had no problem at all. Both got the s/w update.

Carl

#11 OFFLINE   firedog1

firedog1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

I have the same problem a few weeks ago. I downloaded an upgrade and when it was done I lost one of my tuners. I try rebooting and it didn't work so I re did the upgrade. Downloaded reinstall the software and that did it! I had my tuners back. I would give it a try.

I just checked and the same issue is occurring. TUNER 1 says, OK acquired at 0%, TUNER 2 says, OK acquired at 97%. Signal strengths on both TUNER 1 and 2 are between the mid-80s and mid-90s.

My concern is that if I am going to record one program and watch another or record two at the same time, I may not be able to do it if TUNER 1 is truly not working.

How do I download and reinstall the software you mention? Are there other options to exercise first? Should I try another RBR first?

#12 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

I just checked and the same issue is occurring. TUNER 1 says, OK acquired at 0%, TUNER 2 says, OK acquired at 97%. Signal strengths on both TUNER 1 and 2 are between the mid-80s and mid-90s.

My concern is that if I am going to record one program and watch another or record two at the same time, I may not be able to do it if TUNER 1 is truly not working.

How do I download and reinstall the software you mention? Are there other options to exercise first? Should I try another RBR first?

To re-install: do a RBR, as the blue circles start to spin..then press 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. You should see "new software found" and it should be 0145. If you get to "1 of 2" without the software download...repeat the RBR and do it again.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   firedog1

firedog1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 215 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

To re-install: do a RBR, as the blue circles start to spin..then press 0 2 4 6 8 on the remote. You should see "new software found" and it should be 0145. If you get to "1 of 2" without the software download...repeat the RBR and do it again.

Thanks for the reply VOS.

I followed the steps you outlined above and everything worked great! I now have both TUNER 1 and 2 showing signals in the high 90s.

Typically, is the signal % different on each tuner? I have TUNER 1, OK acquired at 98%, TUNER 2, OK acquired at 95%.

#14 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,954 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the reply VOS.

I followed the steps you outlined above and everything worked great! I now have both TUNER 1 and 2 showing signals in the high 90s.

Typically, is the signal % different on each tuner? I have TUNER 1, OK acquired at 98%, TUNER 2, OK acquired at 95%.

95=98 as it samples, & isn't that important anyway, since it's bit error not signal strength. :)
70 % would...
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Steve Robertson

Steve Robertson

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:36 AM

Is anyone else have trouble with the format button it seems Nesn which is 1080i always shows up as 720p now on 1 of my boxes so I have to hit the button on the box to move it. I have tried the rbr but that didn't work. This is the only channel that is doing this.

#16 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:32 AM

Is anyone else have trouble with the format button it seems Nesn which is 1080i always shows up as 720p now on 1 of my boxes so I have to hit the button on the box to move it. I have tried the rbr but that didn't work. This is the only channel that is doing this.

Is your NESN one of the MPEG4 RSN's? If so, there is a known issue with the HR20 reporting the wrong res on MPEG4 channels. The output is actually correct (your TV should be able to confirm this). It's just a problem with the blue lights.

If it's MPEG 2, then ????

Protected By... spam firewall...And...