Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do I need the HD package to get locals?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   price3

price3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:04 PM

I am having the HR20 installed tomorrow, but I would rather not pay the 9.99 for the HD package until more stations are added. I currently have the HR10, and canceled the hd package long ago. Will I have to re-add it to get HD locals?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,148 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:07 PM

I think it is now DirecTV policy to require the HD package when activating an HD receiver or DVR. See what they say when you all to activate.

I don't know if OTA HD locals will work without the HD package, but I think that they will. HD via satellite I don't know.

Carl

#3 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:23 PM

I don't know if OTA HD locals will work without the HD package, but I think that they will.

OTA HD works fine without the HD package.

#4 OFFLINE   MichaelP

MichaelP

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:26 PM

When I talked to the CSR when ordering my HR20 I asked this same question and was told that if you are getting the HR20 the HD package is required.
Samsung LN-S3251D
DirecTV HR20-700s
Sony STR-DG800 w/JBL SCS145.5S Speakers
Sony DVP-NC85H/B
 tv
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote

#5 OFFLINE   EdK99

EdK99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

Yep it is required now with the activation of a HD receiver.

#6 OFFLINE   mbhelfman

mbhelfman

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

Activate it, and then cancel the HD package and I bet you will still get your HD locals. I happen to have it because I watch ESPN HD a lot.

#7 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

When the receiver is added the HD package is added also and if you take off the hd package then you will be required to return the receiver
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, didn't they change it to "HD Access" now? I understood the conditions to be that this gives you 'access' to HD LIL with SD LIL where available, an HD RSN with your SD RSN where available, an HD Premium Channel with your Premium Sub (HBO HD with HBO Package for example) and of course what we knew to be the HD Pack in the 70s.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#9 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 07:37 AM

I am having the HR20 installed tomorrow, but I would rather not pay the 9.99 for the HD package until more stations are added. I currently have the HR10, and canceled the hd package long ago. Will I have to re-add it to get HD locals?

You don't have a choice now. Since Feb 5th or so, activation of any HD receivers requires the HD Access fee.

#10 OFFLINE   Tiebmbr

Tiebmbr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:07 AM

Even still, SD locals are still available with or without HD activation on the HR-20. They are all listed together in the channel guide.

The installer, when making the activation phonecall to the CSR, will make sure HDs are activated before leaving your home. You probably could deactivate them afterwards, but you can't do it online...the option to "deselect" the package via the website is greyed out.

#11 OFFLINE   Happy Camper

Happy Camper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:45 AM

There is more to it than that. The DirecTV Customer Agreement which you 'impliedly' agree to every time you activate or change a service not only REQUIRES that you have the HD package, but it also immediately imposes a 24 month programming commitment in addition to that (12 months if you only have standard boxes with no DVRs). If you activate an HR 20, you cannot cancel your HD, and you cannot your DirecTV or HD programming for 24 months without beginning a long war of collection company attrition with DirecTV.

Welcome to DirecTV-you will be here for at least two years or pay the consequences.

#12 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 11:31 AM

Welcome to DirecTV-you will be here for at least two years or pay the consequences.

Nothing new, been that way for years (the 2 years is new as of the past couple years, used to be only 1).

Cable and E* do the same thing.

#13 OFFLINE   Happy Camper

Happy Camper

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:40 PM

Nothing new, been that way for years (the 2 years is new as of the past couple years, used to be only 1).

Yes, it has been that way. Was just trying to tell our friend everything he should know. The interesting one is that if you do a one for one replacement under the Protection Plan, they will attempt to slam you with a service commitment even though you are not supposed to incur a new one unless you upgrade or install new stuff. But, they try unless you notice and challenge it. Vigilance is required. A two year service commitment is like agreeing to sign a promissory note for a couple of grand in order to get a replacement $300 box. Help. Help.

#14 OFFLINE   price3

price3

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:42 PM

Well, they did activate the HD access when they turned on my 100, but I went on the Internet today and canceled it. We will see what happens...

#15 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 01:45 PM

Cable doesn't do the same thing. They have no commitments, and no up-front fees. It's one place they've got a clear-cut advantage over the satcos.

#16 OFFLINE   ChrisMinCT

ChrisMinCT

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

Well, they did activate the HD access when they turned on my 100, but I went on the Internet today and canceled it. We will see what happens...

OK, sorry but have to ask. Why would you pay top dollar for an HR20 if you don't want the HD locals?
(1) HR20-700, (2) HR23-700+AM21 Native/Original=On * Toshiba 57HM167 (HR20-HDMI, Cat5) * Olevia 427V (HR23-HDMI, 802.11N) * Sharp Aquos LC32LE700UN (HR23-HDMI, Cat5) * AT9 (5) LNBs

#17 OFFLINE   rminsk

rminsk

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:45 PM

OK, sorry but have to ask. Why would you pay top dollar for an HR20 if you don't want the HD locals?

OTA

#18 OFFLINE   cygnusloop

cygnusloop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:47 PM

A two year service commitment is like agreeing to sign a promissory note for a couple of grand in order to get a replacement $300 box. Help. Help.

I am no big fan of the 2 yr commitment, but let's not be overly dramatic here. The cancellation fee, IIRC, is $13/month for each month remaining on your contract. Max of $312. Certainly not "a couple of grand".

#19 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

Cable doesn't do the same thing. They have no commitments, and no up-front fees. It's one place they've got a clear-cut advantage over the satcos.

Ahh, you're lucky then. My cable co has between 6 and 18 month commitments if you want the really good package deals. There are many cable co's out there that do the same thing. And of course many that don't.

#20 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:14 PM

Ahh, you're lucky then. My cable co has between 6 and 18 month commitments if you want the really good package deals. There are many cable co's out there that do the same thing. And of course many that don't.

Neither of the two cable companies in my city (Comcast and WOW) have commitments for any of their services. WOW actually does the reverse, and commits to keeping your price locked in for 12-18 months on certain packages. But you don't have to agree to any length of service.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...