Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need new stereo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lobsigh

lobsigh

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:28 PM

My pioneer elite receiver just died and I am looking for a new receiver that has HDMI
connections. My Pioneer has been good for a long time but I have not kept up with all the new stuff. I have the hr20-700 hooked up to a 61 inch LG DLP TV. with bose surround sound speakers and powered sub. Anyone have any suggestions for a new unit or a good website to compare the products that are now available.

I am a little confused about the HDMI audio that is just pass thru.

Thanks in advance.......:lol: :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:32 PM

It only uses the HDMI for video. You still need to use a digital audio cable for the audio.

It depends on how much you want to spend. There will be new receivers coming out this summer with HDMI 1.3. You will need that if you want to get 7.1 DTS Master and 7.1 Dolby HD. I myself am waiting for the new Denon units to come out. Then I will move my Pioneer Elite to my other set up.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:06 AM

If you get a receiver with HDMI, you should not need to use the optical for audio. That is definitely the cleanest install. You run your HDMI's to the receiver, and one from the receiver to the TV. When you switch inputs on the receiver both the auiod and video will switch accordingly.

I have an Onkyo on my main system, which I love. I also have an Harmon Kardon on another system, an I like it too, but not as much as my Onkyo. I have gone through many receivers in the past decade or two, and without getting into the really high end or separates, I don't think you can do much better than the Onkyo.

CNET.com is a decent resource for reveiws and specs. The user opinions are pretty helpful. You can also get good user opinions at circuitcity.com.

#4 OFFLINE   mbhelfman

mbhelfman

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:00 AM

I have the Onkyo SR-604 and absolutely love it. You cannot go wrong with this unit.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:53 AM

If you get a receiver with HDMI, you should not need to use the optical for audio. That is definitely the cleanest install. You run your HDMI's to the receiver, and one from the receiver to the TV. When you switch inputs on the receiver both the auiod and video will switch accordingly.

Some receiver's with HDMI only will play the video. That is why it is called HDMI pass through. You have to be care full of what kind of receiver you get because if you do get a HDMI pass through receiver you have to run a digital optical or if you have the new HR20-100 you can run a digital coaxial.

#6 OFFLINE   MichaelP

MichaelP

Godfather

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

I recently bought a Sony STR-DG800 which I got from J&R.com for about $280. It was the only A/V receiver I found with HDMI pass-through for less than $500. But if you want to spend more you can.
Samsung LN-S3251D
DirecTV HR20-700s
Sony STR-DG800 w/JBL SCS145.5S Speakers
Sony DVP-NC85H/B
 tv
Logitech Harmony 880 Remote

#7 OFFLINE   Lynskyn

Lynskyn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 10:26 AM

The Marantz SR7001 has 4 HDMI 1.2 inputs, 4 component inputs, upconversion of composite, s-video, and component to HDMI, and a nice remote. I have been very happy with mine. You should be able to get one online for around $975.

#8 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

Most of the Denon receivers I am familiar with have at least two, and in some models, three HDMI in with one HDMI out port.
Many of their models also upconvert component/S-video and composite signals to 720p and 1080i.
Although Denons can get a bit pricey, they do have several moderately priced models available.

For really great prices from an authorized dealer, go to:

http://hipposaudiovideo.com/

I saved almost $500 on my Denon AVR 4306.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#9 OFFLINE   lobsigh

lobsigh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking at the Onkyo 604 and the Onkyo 674.

mbhelfman do you know if the 604 is audio pass thru or not?

#10 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have been looking at the Onkyo 604 and the Onkyo 674.

mbhelfman do you know if the 604 is audio pass thru or not?

The Onkyo 604 will handle the audio via HDMI.

#11 OFFLINE   Strejcek

Strejcek

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:54 PM

I have the Onkyo SR-604 and absolutely love it. You cannot go wrong with this unit.

Agreed, Onkyo is a great receiver. I have two of them and have never had a problem with either one.

(1) TiVo Premiere XL & (1) TiVo Premiere; FIOS TV subscriber; Mitsubishi WD-73927; Pioneer Elite Receiver SC-25

Silence, it's wierd.....like a first date. A tribute to HDTVsportsfan :)

#12 OFFLINE   cavihitts

cavihitts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:14 PM

+1 for Onkyo

#13 OFFLINE   lobsigh

lobsigh

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for all the info I have it narrowed down to the onyko 674 or the
Yamaha RX-V661. Does anyone have any opinion on the yamaha unit vs the onyko.

Thanks again you all have been very helpful.:D :D :D

lobsigh

#14 OFFLINE   LA_john

LA_john

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:17 PM

I have an Onkyo on my main system, which I love. I also have an Harmon Kardon on another system, an I like it too, but not as much as my Onkyo. I have gone through many receivers in the past decade or two, and without getting into the really high end or separates, I don't think you can do much better than the Onkyo.

CNET.com is a decent resource for reveiws and specs. The user opinions are pretty helpful. You can also get good user opinions at circuitcity.com.

I too am thinking about an amp upgrade. I have Denon now but the OSD only works at 480i which is a negative for me. Does the Onkyo provide OSD thru the HDMI connection?
John

---------------------------------------------------
Studio City, CA (San Fernando Valley)
HR-20-700 (externally fan cooled)
OTA roof mount -- 18 mile line-of-sight to Mt. Wilson
5 LNB
Panasonic PT-43LC14 43"
Denon AV-2700 receiver

NBC Network News editor

#15 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for all the info I have it narrowed down to the onyko 674 or the
Yamaha RX-V661. Does anyone have any opinion on the yamaha unit vs the onyko.

Thanks again you all have been very helpful.:D :D :D

lobsigh

In the past, I have found Yamaha recivers to have a slightly tinny sound. Onkyo, to my ears, sounds much more natural.

However, this is much like the DLP thread the other day. It's all personal preference. You need to go someplace that has both on display and listen to them. Bring your own music and play each one through the same speakers. I would also suggest buying it from someplace with a good return policy. It is likely to sound very different in your house then in the store. Especially if the store has a listening room.

#16 OFFLINE   simonkodousek

simonkodousek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 05:14 PM

My pioneer elite receiver just died and I am looking for a new receiver that has HDMI
connections. My Pioneer has been good for a long time but I have not kept up with all the new stuff. I have the hr20-700 hooked up to a 61 inch LG DLP TV. with bose surround sound speakers and powered sub. Anyone have any suggestions for a new unit or a good website to compare the products that are now available.

Thanks in advance.......:lol: :confused:

What Bose system do you have? If you have a relatively good one you might want to think about a Bose receiver. :grin:

#17 OFFLINE   Strejcek

Strejcek

Icon

• Registered
  • 728 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 06:26 PM

I too am thinking about an amp upgrade. I have Denon now but the OSD only works at 480i which is a negative for me. Does the Onkyo provide OSD thru the HDMI connection?

I do not believe so, only through component video out. I think the only Onkyo receiver that displays OSD through HDMI is the TX-NR1000

(1) TiVo Premiere XL & (1) TiVo Premiere; FIOS TV subscriber; Mitsubishi WD-73927; Pioneer Elite Receiver SC-25

Silence, it's wierd.....like a first date. A tribute to HDTVsportsfan :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...