Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV SAT-GO: Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
71 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:18 PM

So, it only gets the 101 satellite? Forgive the nooB question, but if I had a SAT-Go and subscribed to NFLST or ESPN Game Plan and wanted to watch those channels, would that work?

The sports packages (SD channels) are all transmitted from 101.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

Discussion thread for the new DirecTV SAT-GO.

The "First Look" is over here:
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=83951

I played with one and it's quite cool. Very easy to setup and get the signal in the demonstration I saw. Cool product. Plus you can get the biceps in gear by doing a few curls with it.

:grin:

#43 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:36 PM

Very good review by Earl, as usual. This looks really cool for the camping trips we make in the summer.........but if it is around $1,000, I'm not too sure! Are we assuming Best Buy and Circuit City will stock them?
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#44 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

Here is our initial report from CES back in January:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=75580

Someone in that thread said $1000 before launch and $1500 after.

#45 OFFLINE   Scott B.

Scott B.

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the awesome review Earl. The new hydrogen fuel cells are the ultimate power source for this kind of equipment. It would extend it's power cycle greatly.

Smart UPS 2200
Monster Reference Power Center HTS-3500
Westinghouse Monitor W-4207
Directv HR20-700 [0x02cb] (HDMI 6'Connection to AV receiver to monitor)
R15-100+300

#46 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:01 PM

Had fun reading that review Earl. I especially liked the Storm Trooper Mr. Potato Head (I think) on the very first picture! Nice. Can't wait for something like this for our RV and our July Michigan Race weekend trip.
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#47 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:11 PM

Hmm, I though this was cool when reading it this morning. Then I was in Detroit for opening day and one tailgater had a 42" LCD running with a H20 & Slimline dish! Wow, had the 5lnb mounted to his SUV roof and had beautiful HD picture.

Anyway, if a cust puts $1000 into this kind of setup, would they give them waivers for the national distant locals - given it would be used for travel. I think they have a request system for RV owners, but what about other portable users, like tailgaters and campers? That is who they are marketing this after, right?

#48 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:31 PM

Had fun reading that review Earl. I especially liked the Storm Trooper Mr. Potato Head (I think) on the very first picture! Nice. Can't wait for something like this for our RV and our July Michigan Race weekend trip.

You want a SAT-GO? or a SpudTrooper?
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#49 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:47 AM

Oh man... Decisions decisions... :scratchin

:shrug:

Too hard to choose right now. :D

The Sat-Go would be perfect. Perfect for the game tomorrow, perfect for the Bears outings, perfect for the trips to Michigan to watch the races. I've been holding off on doing anything for our RV as I saw this and signed up for the e-mail asap. I only wish it'd work thru walls. Maybe eventually. I worry that the compass is going to get fritzed. Does it say anything about not turning the unit on until after you have your bearing? I suppose they've taken it into account and have probably shielded it. I just know with my compass, it'll sway a bit on the rooftop depending on what's around me... Like that Death Star that SpudTrooper came in on! Posted Image Posted Image
- Andy

#50 OFFLINE   tarmack

tarmack

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:30 AM

Earl,

Great review....but you may have forgotten a great selling point.

This will be the FIRST DirecTV unit not subject to RAIN FADE.

As soon as the first drop falls...you will be packing it up and putting it inside....and hence never lose the signal. :hurah:

Tarmack

Yes... it is a portable system.

However... since the TV does seperate from the case... for the other 5 days of the week, you can use it as an integrated TV for the house.
I mean you are going to pay the $4.99 mirroring fee for it... why not use it the rest of the week. It is EXTREMELY easy to take in and out of the case.

Since you have to plug it in to charge it... why not use it..
And if it does take a 720p... (and even if it doesn't), it would make a nice size XBOX360/PS3 display system for the office.... :)

#51 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:18 AM

Oh man... Decisions decisions... :scratchin

:shrug:

Too hard to choose right now. :D

The Sat-Go would be perfect. Perfect for the game tomorrow, perfect for the Bears outings, perfect for the trips to Michigan to watch the races.

I go to the Michigan Races. We bring an HDTV and a HD Reciever and set up in COOTERS camp ground just outside the Turn 4 entrance.

My Dad just bought a new camper and it has the roof DirecTV antenna installed already, I think it is one of the mobile one's that only sees 101. We will still be using a 3LNB, or maybe a 5LNB if I can get my hands on a new one.

#52 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:59 AM

Car batteries shouldn't be used. Every deep discharge of a normal car battery
damages it. Get a Deep Cycle Marine battery for your inverters to run this... they
can recharge near 100% without damage even after a deep discharge.

As for generators, get the Honda models... don't be that guy with the loud, stinky,
cheap generator parking next to everyone.

As for tailgating, I'll take my usual setup instead even if it means lugging the dish,
pole, and tripod since I have a 24" LCD HDTV hooked up to the receiver instead.

But for small trips like camping where TV isn't as big of a deal, this could be a cool
thing given how portable and small it is compared to lugging everything else along.

If you have a Remote Start setup on your car, it can be used to automatically start the car in the event the battery starts to get low.... I've seen it at car shows....
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#53 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:18 PM

Hmm, I though this was cool when reading it this morning. Then I was in Detroit for opening day and one tailgater had a 42" LCD running with a H20 & Slimline dish! Wow, had the 5lnb mounted to his SUV roof and had beautiful HD picture.

Anyway, if a cust puts $1000 into this kind of setup, would they give them waivers for the national distant locals - given it would be used for travel. I think they have a request system for RV owners, but what about other portable users, like tailgaters and campers? That is who they are marketing this after, right?

My understanding is the Sat-GO mirrors whatever you have on your account. In other words, if you have TOTAL CHOICE EXTRA at home, the SAT-GO is just an extension of what your account has so you take that same programming "with you" for lack of a better term.

But you wouldn't get distant networks for Sat-Go if you didn't already have them on your base account. At least that's my understanding.

#54 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

My understanding is the Sat-GO mirrors whatever you have on your account. In other words, if you have TOTAL CHOICE EXTRA at home, the SAT-GO is just an extension of what your account has so you take that same programming "with you" for lack of a better term.

But you wouldn't get distant networks for Sat-Go if you didn't already have them on your base account. At least that's my understanding.

You are correct.

#55 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

I did a quick search around and found this little treat dated yesterday...

http://www.engadget....-gets-examined/

...Excellent job Earl!
- Andy

#56 OFFLINE   morgantown

morgantown

Icon

• Registered
  • 902 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

According to the email from DTV the cost is...

"DIRECTV Sat-Go will be just $1,499"
DTV & NFLST since 97 at least, not looked back yet...

#57 OFFLINE   brittonx

brittonx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 414 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:29 PM

I really liked the Star Wars Mr. Potato Head attachments ;)
1-HR20-700 w/1TB Seagate HDD, 1-H21-200, 2-H20-100, 1-H20-600
Slimline Dish via WB68 multiswitch.
Primary display: 52" Sony Bravia 1080p to HR20-700 via HDMI
Second display: 42" Emerson Plasma to H21-200 via HDMI
Media Server Windows 7 Ultimate
HR20 & H21 wired to Netgear Gigabit Switch via Cat 5e cables.

#58 OFFLINE   jonaswan2

jonaswan2

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:50 PM

According to the email from DTV the cost is...

"DIRECTV Sat-Go will be just $1,499"

Exactly like the Titanium package is only $7,500!

#59 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

Early May is the timeframe, I have heard... I have not heard a cost on the unit though.

Orginally, I thought it would be available only to A-List subscribers late April/May and to the General Public later in the year.

#60 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:14 PM

Orginally, I thought it would be available only to A-List subscribers late April/May and to the General Public later in the year.

That was how it was stated at CES.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...