Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Bad hardware or this is the quality to expect

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mobilecommand

mobilecommand

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:55 AM

Hello,

I finally took the plunge over the weekend and got Dishnetwork installed, I got a Vip22 in the main room and a standard DVR for the main bedroom... After playing with the system all weekend i think the Vip22 is a good box, i love the DVR over Cox Cable and i think the entire dual tuner thing is kinda nifty.

My Issue that i am running into is are SD programming really that bad or is it my setup.. I am running a Mitsubishi 65inch DLP with a Denon Receiver that has HDMI switching/pass though. I look at any of the HD channels and they come in a ton better then i could ever get on my cox cable and i am very very happy with the HD quality but who can only watch the HD channels ?

When i look at the SD programming its not very clear, its actually fairly fuzzy compaired to my Cox Sd channels, its not quite artifacting but its not crisp/clear. I will also mention that majority of the channels are comming in as 2 channel stereo not dolby 5.1 like Cox cable for the same channel or movie "non hd"

I am not trying to start a flame war of anytype but more looking at my expectations of what i just bought and if there can be any tweaks or modifications to my system to improve quaility.

So far i have tried the following..

Reset my tv and colors,
Tried Component vs hdmi
1080I Vs 720 p at 4/3 and 16/9 "sd comes in a little better with 720P but hd seams seams better at 1080I"
HDMI/Component though the reciever
HDMI/Component directly to the TV

Nothing really seams to crisp up the screen. I understand it will not be perfect but i though the SD channels would come it better then what they are today..

Any thoughs and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mobilecommand

P.s if this is in the wrong forum sorry..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:05 AM

...is the SD programming really that bad or is it my setup...

It's really that bad. SD looks better @ 480i, while HD looks better @ 1080i or 720p. Unfortunately, the 622 does not have a native/pass thru resolution setting, and it's a pain in the butt to change the resolution setting all the time. My solution to this is using the s-video output for SD viewing and HDMI for HD viewing. The s-video connection has improved the SD for me quite a bit. Give it a try, maybe it will help you too.

#3 OFFLINE   mobilecommand

mobilecommand

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:20 AM

hmm

How do i get s video and Component/hdmi with optical all working at the same time and how will the vip622 know what content i want though which interface ?

Will i have to wire it though my reciever and switch video inputs based on channel

Example..

DBS uses optical 1 and Component
Tv uses Svideo and optical ?

Any info will be great

Thanks

#4 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,195 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:24 AM

All outputs on the 622 are hot at all times - HDMI/Composite/Component/RF (if not disabled)

All you have to do is connect your equipment and decide what 622 outputs you wish to use.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   mobilecommand

mobilecommand

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:08 AM

well i will poke away at the system this evening and see what i can come up with..

Not really thrilled about swapping cables each time i wanna watch content,

unless i go comp* and optical to the reciever and s video to the tv then manually switch tv from hdmi to s video when i watch sd content..

Wow my head hurts..

I will let you know how it works out...

#6 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 05:41 PM

Not really thrilled about swapping cables each time i wanna watch content,

As has already been stated, you do not need to "swap" cables - all of the outputs are "hot" at the same time. You may want to switch the selected inputs to your TV to optimize the SD. :rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   heisman

heisman

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

Yo MC,

As Salty stated, you don't need to switch cables. Just plug both of the cables in to your set from the 622. They will use separate input #'s on your set. For instance, my SD is on input 1, while my HD is on input 5. My remote allows me to toggle between the 2 by hitting 1 button, so it's very simple. Alot easier than changing the resolution settings everytime in the 622's menu. Once again, it's just a suggestion that worked for me, maybe it's not for everyone. Good luck!

#8 OFFLINE   Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 02:31 AM

on my 2nd tv in sd, i also noted the fuzzy pic.......it was pretty awful.....i tried changing the resolution......(still fuzzy). i thought it was due to my cheaper tv...... & then something else occured to me.........the channel used was 60.
i changed the tuning channel to a lower number.. (25). now the channels come out just as expected for sd.........no more fuzziness. under installation.......& then modulator setup..

#9 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:04 AM

65" is a lot of screen to stretch 480i across.

spam firewall