Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Quick Delete

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tywahn

tywahn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hello all .. new to these forums ... ready to LEARN!
I was wondering if there was a way to delete shows quickly. Right now, it is a 3-step process. Select the show from the recordings list, choose delete, them confirm.
This is a PAIN and makes spring cleaning a long process. I got spoiled with my Tivo S2 with a simple clear key.
Is there an equivalent to this?
Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 01:33 PM

I don't think that there is an option to delete more than one show at a time, at least I haven't seen one. I usually delete it right after I watch it so it's not a problem for me.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#3 OFFLINE   mdewitt

mdewitt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:00 PM

You can delete more than one show at a time. I believe there is an Edit button to the right of the recordings list. When you select edit, the list should then have little boxes to select next to each recording. When you choose delete, it will delete all selected recordings.

#4 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 02:15 PM

well on a S2 TiVo, you just scroll down the list and hit "cancel" and it deletes it. Mucho easy.

I still haven't mastered the art of deleting stuff on my 622. Likewise stopping a recording in progress is klunky IMHO. I'd prefer to be able to just delete the program while I am watching it, as soon as I figure out that I'd rather not watch it anymore (kind of like that Billy Idol concert my wife made me record).

I am anxious to find some way of doing this quickly and easily, especially if it avoids the thing where it says "you can't delete that now, it's in use". Well duh. Howabout, "are you sure you want to delete that now? It is in use".
Sling-enabled Hopper, Joey, RokuXD, coupla HDTVs, a real old DD5.1 receiver and a 1963 Fisher tube hifi

#5 OFFLINE   redbird

redbird

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 11:10 PM

What mdewitt above said, works great.

#6 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 09:57 AM

yeah but it still won't delete it if it thinks it's "in use". You have to go figure out how to make it think it's not "in use" first.
Sling-enabled Hopper, Joey, RokuXD, coupla HDTVs, a real old DD5.1 receiver and a 1963 Fisher tube hifi

#7 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:10 AM

yeah but it still won't delete it if it thinks it's "in use". You have to go figure out how to make it think it's not "in use" first.

That is one thing that drives me nuts. I usually start another recorded program and then delete the recording I was watching.

Anyone got a better way?

-Funk

#8 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:25 AM

Stop the one you are watching and delete it on the next screen you see.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#9 OFFLINE   nneptune

nneptune

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

well on a S2 TiVo, you just scroll down the list and hit "cancel" and it deletes it. Mucho easy.

I still haven't mastered the art of deleting stuff on my 622. Likewise stopping a recording in progress is klunky IMHO. I'd prefer to be able to just delete the program while I am watching it, as soon as I figure out that I'd rather not watch it anymore (kind of like that Billy Idol concert my wife made me record).

I am anxious to find some way of doing this quickly and easily, especially if it avoids the thing where it says "you can't delete that now, it's in use". Well duh. Howabout, "are you sure you want to delete that now? It is in use".

I agree about wanting to delete a recording while you're watching it.
That's one of only a few things I liked about my short stint with D*.
Press STOP while it's recording...asks you if you want it deleted, click yes, and it's done.
Also would like to see a collapsable (sp?) guide.
Getting through all the recordings is a chore, though the PAGE DOWN button does help make it quicker.

#10 OFFLINE   TechniKal

TechniKal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:34 PM

I think they changed the 'in use' issue with 4.01. I used to get that message all the time when trying to delete things I was watching, now I don't get it anymore.

#11 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 01:11 PM

well that would explain it. I guess I need to start another thread pointing out that still, today, I have 3.66 and I'm in Austin. heh.

#12 OFFLINE   marcuscthomas

marcuscthomas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:10 PM

I think they changed the 'in use' issue with 4.01. I used to get that message all the time when trying to delete things I was watching, now I don't get it anymore.

It is fixed with 4.01. However, it was always pretty easy to stop a show...just press STOP. The problem was when the show ran to the end and stopped on its own. The 622 thought it was still in use. That has been fixed.

#13 OFFLINE   Mr.72

Mr.72

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

with 3.66, if you just press "stop", then it actually behaves a whole lot like "pause". you go to delete it, and it says it's in use. you have to press "stop", and then do something like go to the guide and select a new channel or press the "Live TV' button in order for it to actually un-flag it as "in use".

#14 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 04:21 PM

Mine has always stopped when I pressed the stop button and takes you back to the DVR selection screen where you can select the Delete button. Where you run into problems is if you press the DVR button and select another recording or use the Guide to select a channel without first pressing Stop to stop the playback.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#15 OFFLINE   mdewitt

mdewitt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:04 PM

Mine seems to be OK if I just hit stop which would then take me to info screen for the particular event and then I hit delete. But if I hit done on that screen which takes me back to the list of recordings, then I get the "in use" error when trying to delete.

#16 OFFLINE   thefunks67

thefunks67

Godfather

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 10:22 PM

Thanks guys!

I completely overlooked the STOP button. All is well and I can delete the recording and not get the 'In Use' message.

I have 4.01.

-Funk

spam firewall