Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

adding receiver

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   christrost

christrost

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:47 PM

I have a dp500 twin lnb and two receivers- a 501 and 301. I want to hook-up two more receivers. I thought I could do this using a dp34 multiswitch. When I run a checkswitch no connections show up. All 'x's. It does recognize the swith as a dp34. Should this work?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Larry the satellite guy

Larry the satellite guy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 08:21 PM

as long as you are using a DP TWIN LNB,your dp 3/4 switch should work fine.just run 1 wire from each port to the switch.if you have a legacy or a dp plus lnb,your gonna have problems

#3 OFFLINE   christrost

christrost

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 02:40 PM

I do have a dp twin and dp receivers (301 and 501). After I connect the switch, I go to the 501 receiver and run a check switch. It cycles through three tests and then the screen comes back showing three possible connections but all show 'x's. Is there anything else I need to do to get this to work? Is there any way to determine if the switch is bad. I've tried two different switches and get the same result. I bought 2 additional receivers on e-bay. I haven't tried to install them since I can't get my current receivers to work with the switch. The switch I am using is a dp34. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:37 PM

I do have a dp twin and dp receivers (301 and 501). After I connect the switch, I go to the 501 receiver and run a check switch. It cycles through three tests and then the screen comes back showing three possible connections but all show 'x's. Is there anything else I need to do to get this to work? Is there any way to determine if the switch is bad. I've tried two different switches and get the same result. I bought 2 additional receivers on e-bay. I haven't tried to install them since I can't get my current receivers to work with the switch. The switch I am using is a dp34. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Is your dish aligned correctly? Level out the mast/post, double check the azimith, elevation and skew settings. Apparently the lines are good since the rcvrs do see the DP34 switch, and its probably not the switch, since you've tried two different ones. I'd focus on the dish and it's settings. If that doesn't resolve your problems, check the connections between the DP34 and the LNB. If all is well, the culprit is the LNB. :icon_cool

#5 OFFLINE   christrost

christrost

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for the reply. When I have it set up without the dp34 switch- each of the two lines from the dish to a receiver, it works (i.e. the normal twin set-up). Does that rule out problems witht the alignment of the dish or problems with the lnb?

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the reply. When I have it set up without the dp34 switch- each of the two lines from the dish to a receiver, it works (i.e. the normal twin set-up). Does that rule out problems witht the alignment of the dish or problems with the lnb?

If you have a DP Twin that is getting signal in the area of 100% with out the DP 34 but won't work through the DP 34 suspect a bad DP34.:)

#7 OFFLINE   christrost

christrost

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

If you have a DP Twin that is getting signal in the area of 100% with out the DP 34 but won't work through the DP 34 suspect a bad DP34.:)

Thanks. I guess you can't trust what you get on e-bay. I am going to get another switch.

#8 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

Thanks. I guess you can't trust what you get on e-bay. I am going to get another switch.

Stay away from Microyal switches.:)

#9 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 04:38 PM

Most people forget that verifying with Dish that a rcvr and smart card number are clear to be transferred to a new user doesn't help when there are operational issues with the rcvr. Same goes for defective LNB's and switches that are sold on Ebay. Buyer beware!!! :icon_cool

spam firewall