Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Remote control questions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikegb

mikegb

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

Dish came out last week and intalled the Vip622 and it is working well so far. The installer configured the two remotes for our two tvs. Regarding the remote, I have two questions:

1.) The volume up/down cannot be held down to have it increase or decrease the volume. I have to press it one time per one increment/decrement. This is in contrast to the remote that came with the tv where I can hold the button down or up and have it continue to increment/decrement until I release it. Is this configurable?

2.) The remote has an "Input" button on the upper left where one can tell the tv which input to switch to. This only works for me if I first press the TV button above it. That then configures the remote for tv mode. If I press the Satellite button, then Input doesn't do anything. That seemed odd to me. I would think that the Input button would be effective whether the remote is in Satellite or TV mode. Is this configurable?

Thank you!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   podder320

podder320

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:59 PM

Regarding #1 (volume): I had the same behavior for my Samsung television, and I found that using a different Samsung device code gave me correct volume control. Maybe the code I settled on was one that didn't appear in the manual, but one I found online somewhere. Try a Google search for your TV brand and model number and "Dish" and "remote" - that kind of thing.

Regarding #2 ("Input"): you're stuck. I don't know if the "Input" button has any function in the "Sat" mode but you definitely have to hit "TV" first to make that button send your TV's "next input please" signal. The Dish people did the right thing with the volume buttons, controlling the TV even when the remote is in Sat mode, but they didn't do that for Input. Pity. Does the Input button have any purpose while in Sat mode? If not, this is just an oversight in the remote's software design.

#3 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 08:24 PM

The volume on my Sony goes up and down with a single press and hold of the volume button. Sorry, but I can't help with the other question. As far as I know this can not be done.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#4 OFFLINE   mikegb

mikegb

Banned User

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

Regarding #1 (volume): I had the same behavior for my Samsung television, and I found that using a different Samsung device code gave me correct volume control. Maybe the code I settled on was one that didn't appear in the manual, but one I found online somewhere. Try a Google search for your TV brand and model number and "Dish" and "remote" - that kind of thing.

Regarding #2 ("Input"): you're stuck. I don't know if the "Input" button has any function in the "Sat" mode but you definitely have to hit "TV" first to make that button send your TV's "next input please" signal. The Dish people did the right thing with the volume buttons, controlling the TV even when the remote is in Sat mode, but they didn't do that for Input. Pity. Does the Input button have any purpose while in Sat mode? If not, this is just an oversight in the remote's software design.

Thanks! I have a Samsung tv so I'll need to do more research on this. It's good to know that it is doable.

As for the "Input" button, that is a bummer.

#5 OFFLINE   ssmith10pn

ssmith10pn

Icon

• Registered
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 11:09 PM

For the input button to work in Sat mode would be a "Punch through" as Universal would call it. Unfortunately the Dish remote is not that sophisticated.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...