Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 Crashed - Now CNN is Gone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Skates

Skates

Icon

• Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:44 AM

I don't know if this is related to my 622 or not - all I know is, mine crashed while I was watching CNN. Now, CNN is just a blank screen.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 11:59 AM

What do you mean "crashed"? Do you mean it re-booted itself? If that is the case, and your screen is still blank, either run a switch test or re-boot your 622. Either method should bring back the picture.
Bill R

#3 OFFLINE   Nashcat

Nashcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:05 PM

Mine is doing the same. I've rebooted it twice and just now it has rebooted itself...

After reaquiring sats, it came back up, but going to CNN/200 crashed it again. Maybe coincidence, but that's what I was trying to watch before when it crashed the first time (upon tuning to it).

If I can get the Guide to come up (not always can) I can select another channel (quickly) and it will be there. If I go back to CNN, it's not there and DVR response if iffy at best.

#4 OFFLINE   Skates

Skates

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

What do you mean "crashed"? Do you mean it re-booted itself? If that is the case, and your screen is still blank, either run a switch test or re-boot your 622. Either method should bring back the picture.

It crashed. Went to a black screen with absolutely no functionality. It did not reboot itself, I had to reboot it. Then I ran a switch check.

CNN is now gone, only on this receiver. It's working fine on my other two receivers.

Since this does appear to be something with the 622, I'm going to do a power-plug reset. I'll let you know in a few minutes.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   Papa

Papa

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:15 PM

Mine is also doing the same thing. And I can't change the channel (at least on TV 2... haven't tried TV 1). :confused:

#6 OFFLINE   Skates

Skates

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

Mine is doing the same. I've rebooted it twice and just now it has rebooted itself...

After reaquiring sats, it came back up, but going to CNN/200 crashed it again. Maybe coincidence, but that's what I was trying to watch before when it crashed the first time (upon tuning to it).

If I can get the Guide to come up (not always can) I can select another channel (quickly) and it will be there. If I go back to CNN, it's not there and DVR response if iffy at best.

If you get stuck on it again try holding down the "channel up or down" button for a few seconds. Mine will "jump" out of CNN if I hold the button down long enough.

#7 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:21 PM

Sounds like something is wrong with the CNN streams. Anybody got another receiver other than the 622 and what type of behavior are you seeing on that receiver?
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#8 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 881 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:24 PM

Mine just did the same thing. Don't usually watch CNN/200 but today I was looking for the market news and hit CNN and lost the picture.
Soft boot. Same thing
Hard boot/2minutes. Same thing.
Finally tried Skates solution and holding up button didn't help but I punched it a few times and then jumped out of CNN and now I'm running again.

That has to be about the strangest thing I've ever seen.

Now I'm really, really ready to get the next update.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#9 OFFLINE   Skates

Skates

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:25 PM

Sounds like something is wrong with the CNN streams. Anybody got another receiver other than the 622 and what type of behavior are you seeing on that receiver?

Ron, as I mentioned above, there was nothing wrong with CNN on my other two receivers. That's the first thing I checked (I have an 811 and a 501).

But it's moot for now. The power-plug reboot worked. CNN is back.

I thought maybe Rupert Murdoch bought E* :D

#10 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:31 PM

Missed that one Skates.. Sorry. :) That is odd that others also saw it at the same time... Smells like something stream related cause the 622s to hickup..
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#11 OFFLINE   Skates

Skates

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:35 PM

Missed that one Skates.. Sorry. :) That is odd that others also saw it at the same time... Smells like something stream related cause the 622s to hickup..

My 622 has been very flaky since the update. As I mentioned in another thread, I love the new features, but am obviously not too happy with all the bugs. Maybe the 4.02 update will calm things down somewhat.

But as a Dish veteran (since '98), I've learned to just bite my tongue and up my b.p. meds :sure:

#12 OFFLINE   Nashcat

Nashcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:58 PM

CNN is back to normal now - did nothing more than wait and it came back.

NOW my Nashville Fox affiliate's gone flakey the same way, off & on, but has now come back. Funny thing, it was always there OTA, but no sound, & STILL no sound. I called the broadcast engineer, & he says all looks fine there, but it's the ONLY local station (out of 7) whose digital OTA signal has no received audio... go figure. I'll post this in another thread. Please post any comments there.

#13 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

My husband had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. If he went to certain channels (he didn't remember which ones) they would come up with a 'can't find transponder message, arrow up or down' message. If he didn't change channels the 622 would reboot itself. Don't know if the transponder was fritzy (technical term:lol: ) or what but it only happened that afternoon for a couple of hours and then was fine. By the way we had, and still have 366, so the 401 upgrade didn't cause the problem. He watches the Monster channel so I told him that Godzilla ate the transponder!

#14 OFFLINE   Skates

Skates

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 564 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 01:13 PM

My husband had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago. If he went to certain channels (he didn't remember which ones) they would come up with a 'can't find transponder message, arrow up or down' message. If he didn't change channels the 622 would reboot itself. Don't know if the transponder was fritzy (technical term:lol: ) or what but it only happened that afternoon for a couple of hours and then was fine. By the way we had, and still have 366, so the 401 upgrade didn't cause the problem. He watches the Monster channel so I told him that Godzilla ate the transponder!

Well, the difference here is that the screen went to black and the box "hung" - I couldn't get it to respond to any commands and there was no such message on the screen. And it didn't reboot.

Eventually I figured out that if I held the "channel down" button down long enough, it would jump off of CNN. I don't know if this is 4.01 related or not - all I know is that I've never had it happen on a previous version of the s/w.

P.S. Everyone knows Godzilla is a vegetarian...

#15 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,260 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 04 April 2007 - 02:12 PM

P.S. Everyone knows Godzilla is a vegetarian...

True but he does step on a lot of stuff!:lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...